Ella kidded - questions

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by lori, Apr 8, 2010.

1. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    I everyone - ella just kidded and i'm not sure of some things- the bubble came out but not hoofs right after- not of mucous after - had to pull inside alittle to get her to push - one leg was back - pushed other in and both came out together- next one came - right after - while i was cleaning kid - blood came out of ella - now just stuff hanging from her - mucousy bloody stuff- is that her placenta- also - to tell sexes - is it just two little sacs on the underside for buck - if so i think i have a doe and buck - i'm so excited but nervous about ella. going back outside- also how close should i cut cord.
    thanks

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    GREAT job Lori. You did the right thing. She is fine and the blood is normal. Just do NOT pull at all on the placenta. It will fall out and it can take 24 hours to do so. Give mom some molasses water if you can. It is great for extra energy and to help the extra fluids to get the milk really going.

As of the sex of the babies. Look under the tail. One hole

is boy two is girls. Now we need pictures.

3. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    oh no - i did tug on it and a long string came out - what should i do

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would put her in a round of antibiotics because she may have retained part of the placenta now. she will need 5 days of penicillin

Thats normal for the placenta to be a bit bloody after kidding and then for it to hang so next time dont pull on it.

Congrats on teh kiddos. Does the girl's rear look like mom? if so it truly is a girl ;)

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Keep a close eye on her. The problem is sit will tear her. Does she still have some hanging out? The weight of it will help it to come out on it's own.

6. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    no nothing is hanging out- oh my goodness what have i done = i'm calling the vet now

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It happens. yes call the vet if you do not have a antibiotic that you can give her. I believe my vet put my doe on Excenell (I know that is not spelled correct). That is a script, he also put her on Oxiitocen

8. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    the male seems to be up around but the doe seems to be just laying down - not so interested in feeding

9. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    i read so much before hand - i can't beleive i missed the not tugging part - poor ella did such a great job and then i go and make her life harder -

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Has the girl nursed at all? Have you given Nutri drench? If the girl has not nursed get her up and put her to the mom's teat, and spray a little milk out, I have had to open the babies mouth and stick the teat in the mouth and hold them until they start to nurse. Also, the way mom stimulates the sucking reflex is they lick the area where the tail meets the butt (tail head). take your fingers and kind of tickle them there, you will see that tail wagging like crazy.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh it's fine. One year one of my does had it hanging and on the ground, well she turned around just as my daughter took a step and she stepped on it and pulled it out like that. She needs to get on the antibiotic for this, I do not give antibiotics very often at all, even when I go into mom to pull babies, in the 9 years I have done this, I have never given a antibiotic for it, but I would for this.

12. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    thank you for the kind words - i'm afraid i'll just have to live with the guilt for a little while. about how much should each of the kids be first eating

13. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    just went to check on ella- placenta was on the ground-does that means she is okay

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congratulations!! If you saw the afterbirth and it wasn't there before, Ella will be just fine. Also, the babies will nurse in short bursts, every time mom nudges them, they latch on a nurse for a few seconds at a time.

15. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    That is a really good sign. :) If you have started antibotics keep them up.

16. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    oh thank god - thank you for all your help -

Attached Files:

17. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    sorry 1 more question- it's hot here today - ella is not laying in a corner - she won't even look at me which is not like her - could there be another baby in there - maybe stillborn or something

18. lori

lori New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Wilton, CT
    oops typing too fast- meant to say is laying in a corner not looking at me - not even taking her snacks

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    What is ella's diet? Is she getting alfalfa hay or pellets? If so how much? How much milk is she producing?

Not taking snacks usually means not feeling well.

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Lori, how is she doing today? Have you taken her temp? if not please do so and we can help more from there.