The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally at about 10:05 pm Ellie had her baby. When I was bottle feeding Baxter I notice her losing her plug and was very swollen vulva. That was about 5 pm. When I went back to feed Baxter around 9:15pm, I noticed some commotion going on up the lane thru some other open pens, so I went up the lane to where the majority of the herd was bedding down. Ellie and the other 2 boar goats where there and there was some fighting going on. I got Ellie, Lottie and Aja to move to the corral where I could keep them separate from the rest of the herd. It was totally dark except for my flashlight and I caught a glimpse of Ellie discharging more and having contractions. I left her for about 45 minutes and went back about 10:30pm and she had given birth. The baby was semi cleaned off but mama was standing off about 7 feet from baby. I wipe its head and feet to remove some of the afterbirth and put baby and mama in a small pen with a new hay floor. I feed mom and gave her a dose of red cell, some probotics, 2ml of Banamine and and 2-1/4ml of Nuflor. I’ll leave them for tonight and check them in the morning. I don’t think the baby has sucked yet. I’ll try and check her milk supply when I go back in a few minutes. I try to get the baby to suck then. Mom still has a large blood filled bag attached to her. That’s why I gave Banamine and Nuflor. See pics attached. That’s mom with her head thru the gate. The baby is laying on the hay. The other pics are the bag. Anything else I should do?
IMG_4634.jpg
IMG_4632.jpg
IMG_4631.jpg
IMG_4636.jpg

Reactions: EJskeleton

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hate to report this. I gave all the medicine I stated above and thought I’d check her milk and try and latch the baby on a tit. She has no milk!!! Lord I don’t need another bottle baby, Lottie, Baxter’s mom, was a no milk doe and I still feeding him 4 times a day. He will be one month old this Monday. Are there any chance she could just be a late comer with milk. She had been bagging up for the last month and I just knew she would have milk. If she doesn’t have milk by morning I’ll have to feed the baby store bought colostrum like I did Baxter. Lord help me, with working and feeding four times a day is getting tiresome. We will do what we have to do. Ellie (the new mom) gets her last worm treatment tomorrow evening with Cydectin. Good night.

·
Registered
30,648 Posts
Lut can help milk come in. Baby needs colostrum asap.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I don't know if it has the same reaction in goats, but a certain hay (I forgot the name) will cause a mare to foal with no milk. Or CAE can do the same thing.

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No milk this morning. I tried milking her and got nothing. This is the 2nd doe of this group that has done this. I’m still feeding one that had no milk from mom. She bagged but not super large, I takes pics in a little while. Mom did finish dropping the afterbirth. Baby was walking around in back of pen while mom keeps head stuck out the gate. I’m headed back to pen now to weigh the baby and take moms temp and maybe babies. I’ll do the finger in mouth of baby first for mouth temp and if warm I won’t take babies temp just yet. Why do you think mom has no milk? Is this a boar goat trait? Help please

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
692 Posts
What is the overall condition of your does? Could this be from a nutritional deficiency? Also has your herd ever been tested for CAE? Just a thought...

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
Oxytocin can help milk come in. With 2 girls milk not coming in, I'm wondering if it is minerals and not necessarily deficiency. I had one year that I had a couple alpacas with no milk, was told that too much selenium could cause that in alpacas. I was feeding a feed at that time that was high in selenium.

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It maybe worse than I thought. The baby weighs 109.5 ounces. I gave a little colostrum just a few minutes ago. I’ll give more at 11:00am and again at 1:00-3:00-and 5;00pm. While feeding I noticed a bad lump on the right side of her lower mouth. I know what this could be. See pics of moms bag and baby girl.
IMG_4641.jpg
moms bag
IMG_4642.jpg
mom bag
IMG_4644.jpg
IMG_4637.jpg
lump on right side lower mouth.
IMG_4638.jpg
baby
IMG_4640.jpg
baby

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marked pictures
IMG_4640.jpg
IMG_4640.jpg

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMG_4640.jpg

·
Registered
30,648 Posts

·
Registered
30,648 Posts
Definitely need baby to see a vet

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ouch! Wonder if baby got kicked or stepped on? It would definitely be good to see a vet. My first thought about not having enough milk would be a possible calcium deficiency. I always feed alfalfa to my pregnant does...but I also have dairy goats, so I expect a fairly high level of milk production and feed accordingly. I hope you can find some answers.
If it's any comfort, having multiple bottle babies isn't much more work than having one, once the second kid gets old enough to be on the same feeding schedule with the older one.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts