Ellie- I spoke too quick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Sep 30, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    You all remember Ellie and her off Rumen problems in the past 4-5 Weeks. I posted a picture a couple or 3 days ago about how well she was doing. Well yesterday evening she would not come into eat her evening feed. She also didn’t come in that morning for feed time but stayed at the hay feeder eating hay. I just put in my memory to watch her, so yesterday evening she came when I called her but came and just smell the feed, maybe ate 3 teaspoon fulls and quit. Same thing this morning so I went and got my supplies and pen her up by herself. Temp checked at 99.8. I gave her a heavy dose of probotics gel (12ml) a dose of vitamin E gel with selium and 120 ml of flat dark beer, (all I had on hand) when I left her she was eating hay. I did not have time to get green oak leaves but will this evening. I also have some slippery bark elm but she would not eat it top dressed over her food yesterday evening. How else can I give this slippery elm.? This time it was 9 days after her last stretch of Cydectin/Valbazen mixed wormer. This is also about 3 weeks from last off rumen making it the 3rd or 4th time in the last couple of months. It appears to reoccur every 3-3-1/2 weeks. Ideas on what I’m not doing? Help

2. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    IMG_3710.jpg
    This is pic about a few days ago (3-4)

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.

3. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I went back to my records and see this happens every month now about 30 days apart for the last 3 months.

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Dark beer multiple times a day until the temp gets back up.

I would cease use of chemical wormers for her, it seems like her gut cannot handle it.

Mix 1/2- 1 teaspoon of slippery elm with water and drench it 2x today.

No grain for her whatsoever. No grain again, in my opinion, she’s a “no grain goat” with that weak of a stomach.

I’d keep her on regular probiotics and diamond V yeast.

I’d also order Land of Havilah’s GI Back on Tract to use for a cleansing period, then order Fir Meadow LLC’s GI Soother for maintenance.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Please refrain from giving any antibiotics.

TCOLVIN likes this.
  6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Is her temp up yet? If not I’d try and get her warmed up manually.

9. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    M

10. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Temp was 103.1F this evening. I gave her the Slippery Elm 1/2 teaspoon mixed with a little water (26 ml). She wouldn’t eat the alfalfa pellets this evening but she was eating hay. I left the alfalfa out in the pen she is in. I’ll give more probotics in the morning and more Slippery Elm mix. When I put the alfalfa in the trough she came to it and nosed around looking for the oats then went to eat hay. I had put out alfalfa and oats mixed this morning and this evening all of that was gone. We will see in the morning if she eats the alfalfa only. I’ll try and cut her some green oak leaves in the morning. She won’t eat most leaves but oak she likes. I heard her grind her teeth a little bit not near as much as the last time she went off feed. Unless you say different in the morning I’m doing another temp check, 10 ml probotics gel, slippery elm mix 1/2 tablespoon, green oak leaves and maybe a shot of B complex (10ml).

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are going to keep her around, try doing probiotics daily for a month. Obviously you will need to do the other things to get her over the hump. But if this is happening monthly, that is a problem. May as well see what daily probiotics will do.

MadHouse, toth boer goats and TCOLVIN like this.
  12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Okay good.

No grain tomorrow.

Probiotics gel, b complex, slippery elm, oak leaves, and maybe even one more half dose of beer tomorrow morning.

Do make sure to order the herb blends I mentioned they are paramount!

toth boer goats and TCOLVIN like this.
  13. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I am out of black beer. The stores here don’t carry it. I’ll have to wait and go to Vidalia this week end to get it. The other stuff I’ll look into. I think I have info on on Fir meadows.

14. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    TEMP this morning was 99.9F . i gave her the slippery elm drench, a shot of 6ml B complex Fortified, i cup (container of yogurt) , alfalfa pellets with a little slippery elm mixed in it, green oak limbs and hay and fresh water.

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

She is very cold for a goat. Try warm her up manually if nothing is working. Her temp must come up.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Still way too low.

Warm her up. Blow dryer, rub her, blanket.

MadHouse likes this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Heat lamps, help.
    If she is penned up at night or when her temp is sub.

She also needs to move around for her rumen health too.
    It also helps raise her temp when everything is working properly.

MadHouse likes this.
  18. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Is she eating hay?

Has she received any fecals for coccidia?

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.