Ellie- I spoke too quick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Sep 30, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This evening temp was 103.2f . I gave her some probotics 5ml paste, slippery elm 1 teaspoon drench 60ml, 1 cup yogurt, 6 ml fortified B Complex, green oak leaves and hay. I listen to her stomach and heard some gurgling sound. Her temp is a little high but this morning it was low. I did see her poop good pellets. As for as Coccidia, she got a dose of toltrazuril one month ago today. She was also treated for barberpole worms. I’m going to let her out in my long nursery pasture tomorrow with one of her buddies.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I get that she got the dose of these wormers but did you do any fecals?

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Is there perhaps any browse or plants in her enclosure that she may have an allergy to/poisonous?

Definitely give probios daily regardless of temp. Give 1/2 teaspoon of slippery elm as a maintenance dose daily. B complex for at least a week. Yogurt or beer 2x a week regularly. Diamond V yeast added to her food.

Do a gut cleanse with this: https://landofhavilahfarm.com/loh/product/gi-back-on-tract/

Daily support with this: https://www.firmeadowllc.com/store/p811/GI_Soother™_Digestive_System_Support_16_oz.html

In case there’s something viral or bacterial, make sure she’s getting at least 2 cloves of garlic daily.

Iluvlilly!, MadHouse and TCOLVIN like this.
  5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I did a fecal thru my vet. No Coccidia but fair amount of barberpole. I will copy her history below ( if I can) out of her chart. I keep records of everything I do wilth dates and what’s done.

Starting with July 2020
    7/3/20 Off feed at evening feed, grinding teeth a little. Get temp in the morning and give probotics.
    7/4/20 Temp 101.7 f. Gave probiotics and b complex shot. Green leaves at evening feed.
    7/5/20 Temp this evening 102.7f, gave her one yeast cap in drench gun. Appears to be doing ok.
    7/7/20 Gave 5 ml b complex shot
    7/8/20 Eating good
    7/26/20 Notice that she was off feed again caught her and checked temp. 105.2 f, gave probotics, replaime, b complex shot 5 ml and will start on Noromycin 300 in the morning.
    7/27/20 1st Noromycin shot Gave probiotics temp 103.1
    7/28/20 2nd Noromycin shot Gave probiotics temp 101.7
    7/29/20 3rd Noromycin shot
    7/30/20 4th Noromycin shot
    7/31/20 5th Noromycin shot
    7/31/20 Trim hoofs
    8/1/20 Started on b complex, cayenne mix, redcell, probotics and 5 diff leaves and grass Gave 1st Cydectin dose& new Coccidia medicine
    8/2/20 Same as as above
    8/3/20 Same as as above
    8/4/20 Same as as above
    8/5/20 Same as as above
    8/6/20 Same as as above
    8/6/20 Release to pasture
    8/7/20 Continue with redcell today then once a week.
    8/10/20 2nd dose of Cydectin
    8/23/20 Last dose of Cydectin

8/29/20 Ellie off feed again. Penned up by herself. May give B complex shot in the morning and replamin . Saw clumpy stool this morning and got sample for fecal.
    8/30/20 Temp 103 f , gave new probiotics powder, wouldn’t eat alfalfa, fed green oak, hay

8/31/20 Took fecal to Vet
    8/31/20 Vet said temp a tad high, give 2-1/2 Nuflor gold. Has fair amount of BP worms, treat with Cydectin and give 10 ml B complex shot (2-5 ml) shots
    8/31/20 I gave invermetin @ 16 ml this mornings and probotics gel.
    8/31/20 Also gave 5ml B complex, probiotics gel, temp 103 f, sprayed with fly spray, fed green leaves.
    9/1/20 Give probotics powder in a drench,feed green leaves, give 5ml B complex, probotics gel, spray fly spray Start redcell this evening, 5ml Valbazen
    9/1/20 Set out black beer and gave 60-90 ml, this evening, also 6 ml b complex, green oak leaves
    9/2/20 Give 6 ml b complex, 60 ml dark flat beer
    9/3/20 Morning, Gave 5 ml B Complex, 6 ml probotics paste, Evening, gave probioticsand redcell 6ml
    Let out in long nursery, she ate grass
    9/4/20 Probotics gel 5 ml
    9/6/20 Probotics gel 5 ml
    9/11/20 2nd 10 day follow up dose of ivermectin and Valbazen, dose of probotics paste, redcell 6ml
    9/21/20 Last dose of Cydectin / Valbazen 10ml / 5ml

9/30/20 Off rumen again, temp 99.8F, gave 12-15ml probotics gel, 5 ml vitamin E / Selium gel, 120ml flat dark beer, penned her up with hay and feed and water
    10/1/20 morning Temp 99.9f , gave slippery elm, B Complex shot, green leaves.
    "10/01/20 " evening Temp 103.2f, gave slippery elm, B Complex shot, probotics gel paste,cup yogurt, green leaves.

10/2/20-fed 2 garlic cloves with peanut butter, 5ml probotics paste, 100.9 temp, fed oak leaves, listen to stomach, gurling sounds, let out in long nursery with her buddy.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did she have damage from coccidia as a kid? With this being monthly, to me says damage to her intestinal system.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    So you gave toltrazuril even though there wasn't a positive fecal?

Thank you for your concise records, good on you for keeping things well organized.

Yep, definitely her gut is in need of some serious help!! I would order DWA from Fir Meadow as well, also essential oils from DT so we can get her on a natural worming regimen, as I really don't want her to receive any more chemicals.

Also all this I said above:

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Temp this evening was 103.1f. I gave probotics paste, yogurt ( she loves this) rumen is gurgling and she is chewing her cud. What yogurt I had left over this morning and mixed it in her alfalfa and this evening the same. She ate all of her alfalfa with the yogurt mixed in it. The people I got her from feeds a lot of whole corn. Could this be some of the problem?

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If they feed a lot of corn, I suspect they probably didn't do coccidia prevention when she was a kid. The association is that they obviously think differently.

12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The slippery elm (over time) will help resolve gut damage from coccidia.

TCOLVIN likes this.
  13. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    10/3/20-Temp 100.9, gave 2 garlic cloves, yogurt added to fee Temp 100.9, gave 2 garlic cloves, 1 cup yogurt added to feed, let Lottie and Aja inwith her, top dressed feed with slippery elm, let Lottie and Aja in with her, top dress feed with slippery elm.
    It seems temp is lower in the mornings.

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    That’s fairly normal - to be lower in the morning. As long as she stays above 100 I wouldn’t freak out.

When you say you top dressed her feed, you mean her alfalfa pellets are grain? I strictly would not feed her grain, only forage pellets.

toth boer goats and 21goaties like this.
  15. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    No oats, just alfalfa pellets. I have let her 2 buddies she grew up with (2 female bore goats bought from same person) in with her. I mixed the alfalfa pellets with the left over yogurt (stirred in) and sprinkled the pellets with slippery elm. At first the 3 act like they didn’t want it, so I left it in their feed trough and this morning it was clean, so probably all three got some.
    This evening they all 3 came up for feed time and all they got was alfalfa pellets. The other 2 looked at me with sad eyes, kinda like, “she is the one that don’t need grain, not us”, lol I didn’t do anything this evening as I have been cutting grass all day and changing out light bulbs in 7 outside yard fixtures with a total of 18 bulbs. . By the time I finished grass cutting and changed bulbs we where late feeding and I forgot to take thermometer and all my medicine with me to pasture. She look fine and was acting normal so I didn’t go back to get it. I do it in the morning since she was ok this evening.

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  16. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Has she been checked for tick diseases? Giardia?

Does she like real ginger, ginger snaps? Those seem to really help my goats when their belly is off kilter. I swear by ginger for gut issues.

17. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    No on the tick disease, ginger snaps I don’t know.

18. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    She doesn’t have diarrhea and is now popping pellets galore.

19. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    10/4/20-Temp 103.1, gave alfalfa pellets with slippery elm top dressed. My tube of probotics paste had run out even though it still showed 10ml. I give her some more of that this evening. Also yogurt in on the menu
    This evening. I stir in a cup in the alfalfa with slippery elm top dressed. I’ll also try 2 more garlic cloves also wrapped in peanut butter. I did hear rumen sounds while checking temp.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    toth boer goats and ksalvagno like this.
  20. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I just did a fecal myself and am very disappointed with my findings. I don’t know what I’m doing and appear to be about blind when it comes to focusing. I counted over 36 eggs if I’m seeing the right thing using the green line McMaster slide. I used the 5x which didn’t do much for me, switched to the 10x which was better but still moving everything by hand is a task. Are they some reasonable camera scopes that make this easier to do that won’t break the bank? If 36 x 50 = 1800 then my worming did nothing. They all appeared to be barberpole or strongyloids.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.