Ellie- I spoke too quick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Sep 30, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Can I mix the GI smoother and wormer together and drench them with water?

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Why of course...

What have you been doing?

toth boer goats likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You can blend garlic in the GI soother and or dewormer .

4. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Just got back giving the banamine shot.

5. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I have been mixing the two herbals in 2 tablespoon of yogurt mixed up good. At first few days she liked it but today she didn’t want it.

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You can mix with enough water to drench it..then add and blend the garlic. Drenching syringes are awesome for this. I do this with our parasite blend.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Where is best place to listen to a goats lungs.?

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I start the stethoscope just behind and slightly above the front leg. Then I slowly move it up until I get a good spot to listen.

9. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Ok, I was in the right place. Thanks

10. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I am following this thread and just wanted to say @TCOLVIN You are so diligent, patient and hard working with Ellie, and so are the helping members! I am cheering for Ellie (and you!)!

11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Wow. That temp is too high. I think maybe there is definately a secondary infection somewhere.

12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    My vet call me back and said he had baytril . Said it was a different kind and he would give it once and wait 3 days and give a second shot. What do you all think about switching antibiotics?
    My thoughts are to go for it but strictly because of my situation is desperate now.

13. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    10//15/20-temp 102.6, gave oils and herbals, 3 ml Nuflor. Forgot my yogurt but top dressed with slippery elm. This temp swing driving me crazy.

14. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Oils meaning the 3 - w o, org, lemon g

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'd do the baytril.

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Batril is a very strong antibiotic but should be given daily. Its not a long acting antibiotic. I don't see a reason to give one shot and wait three days. That really will do no good imo. If he is wanting to do a long acting antibiotic he can try Draxxin which has shown to be effective since it hits the lungs directly. Even with that sometimes we have to do another antibiotic between Draxxin 2 shots.

Now if you continue Nuflor between the two Baytril shots..at least then she won't be left vulnerable

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  17. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    My only question is is it a lung problem? They don’t sound bad to me. According to what I have read up on baytril is that it’s not for pregnant goats and she maybe? It is a very strong antibiotic. I’ll just stick with Nuflor I guess.

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes.., very true, draxxin is best for actual lung issue like pneumonia

Personally if she were mine I would finish the round of nuflor then switch to herbal infection blend. Something is going on with this doe and antibiotics, while many are broad, are specific for different infections. Sonfar they Just do not seem to be correcting her issue. The fact that she get ill ever 3 weeks or so has me to beleive may have Somthing to due with heat cycle...perhaps it lowers her immune system? Goats can be such a mystery. Now with herbs you are not just addressing infection but providing nutrients. Herbs act different than antibiotics as the body uses the herbs effectively and they do act quickly. By her picture..she looks healthy. At a good weight. If she is not bred..I would not breed her until you have this figured out as she may have an unseen defect she can pass along or pregnancy maybe too much for her. Kristie of LOH is amazing in helping find the best blend for this situation. Im thinking the Herbamins and Infectiin blend but she has a few new ones. GUARDIAN is one. Why not message her and discuss whats going on. I truly feel this Doe has had enough chemical treatment. Its not working. Time for a change.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would try another antibiotic totally, especially if you have been treating her every time with Nuflor and the issue always comes back.

It must be a different strain of infection going on, which Nuflor isn’t strong enough or isn’t the proper antibiotic to take care of this issue.

I agree baytril should be given daily though.

May not be in the lungs, but hiding somewhere.

Moers kiko boars and TCOLVIN like this.
  20. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Would not do baytril in the way vet suggested and maybe not at all...

Here's my thought process and I am curious @happybleats thoughts, don't do anything yet but for discussion -- My gut says the bacterial issue is in, well, her gut!

OCR mentions chronic/paracute enterotoxemia, I have heard of this - i.e. bacterial imbalance with clostridium perfringens. A CD antitoxin may not hurt.

On that note, activated charcoal or MOM to cleanse her may also not be a bad idea. @happybleats, your thoughts?

She looks good so I am hard-pressed to suspect Johnes but I do want to make sure she has been tested for it.

My mind is also considering something like FKS in an adult's microbiome. If we consider re-booting her whole system, a sulfa drug used for FKS will kill all bacteria (good included). That would be an interesting thing to consider.

This gal is stumping me but I would say to try the CD antitoxin I see no harm in that.