Ellie not wanting to eat this evening

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Jul 3, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This evening around 5 pm I went to feed and all but one came right on. Ellie kinda stayed to pasture and just looking. I feed her with 3 more because they get along so well with out fighting. She finally came on and ate a little, then stood back off in the pen in the corner. She kinda stood there and grinder her teeth a little then just place her head in the corner. I have heard these symptoms before but can’t remember what was wrong. In the morning if she is still acting this way, I’ll get a temp and give her some probiotics. If she had no temp problems , I will give her a b complex shot and probiotics. I’ll do a famacha score also.

2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I’d get her temp now. If it’s something like pneumonia, she may not be alive in the morning.

TCOLVIN likes this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Could also be polio/listeriosis. Really need the temp now. I'd also get the B Complex and probiotics into her tonight.

CountyLineAcres likes this.
  4. Canadian Goat Mom

Canadian Goat Mom Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Alberta, Canada
    How's the goat? Possibly bloat? Give her baking soda. A tablespoon on a little bit of grain if she will eat it? Might need to syringe a water baking soda mix?
    I give mine baking soda every couple of days.

TCOLVIN likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How are things?
    Did you get a temp on her?

6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Sorry I didn’t get back to you all sooner but the holiday was very busy with family and friends all day long. It was a great day. But to the main thing, Ellie is doing fine I think. I have her the probiotics this morning and a b complex shot. Her temp was 101.7 f. This evening I gave probiotics again and she came to pen on her own will and ate. I also gave her some green pecan leaves. I didn’t do an evening temp because as I said we were loaded with 6 grand kids and their spouses and 13 greatgrands plus friends and all want to help in the goat pens. I’ll get another temp in the morning when it’s just me and my helper. Thanks for all your advice and concerns. Hope all of you had a happy 4th of July. We had a BIG fish fry with all the trimmings. Again thanks.

ksalvagno likes this.
  7. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Glad to hear she’s doing okay today and that you had a great 4th! Just keep an eye on her.

TCOLVIN likes this.
  8. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    New update. This morning temp was 101.5 f. I gave probotics plus again this morning and will this evening. Probably give her another b complex and get temp again. She came to pen on her own and ate with her buddies. A soda drench might be in order? She doesn’t look bloated and I have not seen her grinding her teeth since the first time I noticed her doing so. In fact other than the first time when she went off feed her actions have improved. Just her temp is a little low.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  10. ksalvagno

If you still have rumen boluses, give her one.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree and glad she is better.

12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    This evening her temp was 102.7f she ate her pellets and I gave her the cow bolus. Those things are as big as my thumb. I just open up the capsule and pour the powder in my drench gun and take a quart jar of warm water with me to pasture. I add the water and shake it up real good then drench her with it , then I draw another dose of warm water and give that behind it. There is enough powder in one capsule to fill my 30 ml drench to within a half inch of the top. I just keep working it and adding a little water until it is mixed good. These capsules are yeast caps. I have used them many times in the past. I will have to get some dark beer on hand.

ksalvagno likes this.
  13. ksalvagno

Should work just fine. Her temp is good.

TCOLVIN likes this.
  14. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    She ate good this evening so I close my post. Thanks to all of you.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California