Elwood shivering*****update****

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Feb 19, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....Elwood has loss most of his hair, not sure why at this point...I have called vet......but right now I need to deal with him being cold....went out this morning and he was shivering so bad and pulling one back leg up at a time he was so cold.....I did not know it was going to get as cold as it did last night......going to get dog coat today. I cut up a thermal shirt of mine and put it on him, he quit shivering and is eating, drinking just fine....he looks like a little alien in red P.J's.......I know I'm crazy, but I pulled out a down comforter and took it out and put it in their little dog house.....Jake the brother thought it was great....he is rolling all in it! Not to worry, this will now be an animal comforter! Can I leave the dog coat on 24/7? Once I get a coat for him, I'll take comforter out, just trying to get him warm! We are suppose to be in the 20's for highs and teens at night through the weekend......my first winter with goats!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Elwood shivering

yah leave it on him 24/7 unless you see him panting or something.

Your weather is colder then mine. brrr

3. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS

for sure leave it on until you have a warm sunny day.

How old is Elwood?

Denise

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

He is 8mths old.....I have trouble finding a coat for him....I have a thermal shirt on him right now....DH went to pet store, no big dog coats.....I am going to order one off line, but I need something now! I got a sweatshirt out and cut it...I am going to go pit it over the thermal.....last time I was out he wasn't shivering as bad and was eating very well.....I gave him some very warm water and a multi-vitamin......vet said it couldn't hurt.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

You definately will want to keep it on him while it is so cold.

Just remember to check it twice a day and make sure there is not moisture on the coat or under it between the coat and him.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Have you taken his temp at all....?
    Another way to keep him warm is .....put a heat lamp out for him, he will
    get under it as he needs it and be able to move away if he doesn't. I know
    he isn't a young baby ..but it may help.

how are his gums and eye color?

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Pam I was going to ask the same question. Have you taken his temp?

I would leave the coat on also. What about a heat lamp? I know i do not like them unless I have a kid a day or so old, but if he is that cold it might be a option if you can.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

hehe... :greengrin:
    I also agree..... I don't like using heat lamps on older goats/kids either, but it does help in situations such as this...if the weather is really cold....and there is no other option..... :wink:

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Ok....got goat coats ordered, having them next day mailed.....it will be here tomorrow....Hubby said do it and to go ahead and order 2! what we won't do for our pets! I sewed him up a double layered little coat this afternoon....I took one of my turtlenecks and a thermal shirt and cut and sewed the 2 together and cut them down to fit him.....he is much better now that he has the fitted shirts on and the turtleneck covers his poor little naked neck :( ...the sweatshirt was ok, but he kept stumbling on it and didn't really know how to move in it....... he is not really shivering any longer. Yes, we do have a heat lamp hanging over the corner of their pen....hubby wired it so it can't fall and should be safe....we can't figure out how to put one inside their dog house and make it safe.....I also took old wool blankets and stapled them up on the outside of the pen fence, so the corner is like inclosed, no drafts....I also put down lots of straw.....feeding him lots of hay and giving him very warm water, which he loves! Can't wait for goat coats to get here.....vet says the wool lined coat will really keep him warm....he said to keep it on him 24/7 until weather really warms up and he starts getting hair back.....he said to just check underneath coat for moisture, but should be fine.
    Spoke with the vet this afternoon, he and the other vet have been putting their heads together and really think this is a reaction to the meds they gave him weekend before last or a reaction to the fever he had.....vet says that if this were a mineral def that it wouldn't have happened so fast....it is like he loss his hair in a matter of days.....he looks just awful! My husband about died when he saw him today....he hadn't seen him in a couple of days. Both boys eyelids and gums look good....they were wormed last Saturday.....vet wants to do another fecal next week to make sure numbers have gone down before reworming them again, he says that will tell us if the wormer they used is working. I have not taken his temp today, but I did tell hubby I think we should.....so we will do that when hubby gets home.....vet also wants me to weigh him and keep an eye on his weight to make sure he isn't losing. Vet said to keep a close eye on him and if anything changes, like he gets worse let him know.....but at this point it is just a waiting game.....if he doesn't get better they will do testing.
    Sorry so long again!!!!!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am praying.... he will get well soon...I hope the vets can figure out ...what is going on with him...

keep us updated....and good luck... :hug: :pray:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you are doing all the right things. Thankfully Lola isnt that bad, but Elwood has a great mom and dad taking care of him :hug: