Elwood the hairless goat and more ????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Feb 20, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what has happened......I should be more trusting of my vets, but he is my goat baby and I want to figure this out....the vets are taking a wait and see approach.....I'm really not good at that.
    Ok.....I have been reading alot about copper def. and toxicity.......I am afraid to supplement him with any because then you run the risk of to much, or a least until the vet decides to do test and see what his levels are.....
    1st question.....I have their loose minerls stored in a galvanized small can with lid.....could that be an issue?
    2nd question......we have a well, we are not good at running our softner on a regular basis, we have yet to figure out the automatic timer on it and so we manually do it...moved into this house with this system already installed, widow we bought from didn't even know, husband always did it......which from now on I will do it 2x's a week regularly....I saw on another post where someone was talking about the iron in the water from the outside faucet, it doesn't run through the softner so iorn is not removed......could that be a factor?
    He is a black goat which I read this morning on a website that dark goats are some times lacking in copper.....
    Just throwing some things out there....any ideas would be appreciated.....he is doing ok....a little quite, but eating great....pooping, peeing, drinking......can't wait to get his grains whe I come into pen...I give them just a hand full a day. The hair loss is greatest on his neck, face, front legs, from where his neck meets his shoulders back...he still has his dorsal hairs(I think that's what they are called....long hard hairs down the middle of his back). His skin is soooo very flaky, which vet did say that does not surprise him.....I think he feels ugly and embarrassed.....plus he is having to deal with wearing the clothes...he did try to head butt the cat when she came into his pen this morning....I had to laugh......Goat coat should be here by noon! It is suppose to be in the 30's today and hopefully the wind won't kick up, thought after coat gets here may take him out in the sunshine for a bit.
    Thanks, Denise

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we have a water softener on our well but at a time we were having trouble and it wasnt working - never saw a difference in my goats during that time or after it was fixed. I doubt this is your issue.

Wait and see is always hard - but hair regrowth wont happen over night. It is somethign you haev to wait on.

Keep up the Aloe Vera drenching him 6ccs once a day for a week to two weeks.

Want to see a picture of my bald goat?

here she is as it first started
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/ ... oss014.jpg

when all she had was a small amount of stubble
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/ ... oss020.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/ ... oss023.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/ ... 9th001.jpg
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/ ... 9th003.jpg

here she is after she started to grow her hair back -- beautiful!!
    http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/ ... res019.jpg

here she is this past fall
    [attachment=0:2uyzj2pg]Copy of pastedGraphic.JPG[/attachment:2uyzj2pg]

Attached Files:

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    AHHHHH.....Thank you sooo much for the pics, yes, yes, yes....looks a lot like my Elwood......his face, neck might be a little worse. I did not realize you had one go bald.....I thought you were just having issues with Lola.......Did you ever figure out what it was with Flicka? I'll have to look back at you old post.....I have brought up so many, but didn't see any about Flicka. I'll try and get pics today of Elwood and post them if I can remember how.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I run nothing but well water for my goats - and in honesty some times I get a bucket full of some nasty reddish water and I throw it out and then refill. I am looking at getting a filter for the outside faucet, but not sure how much it is going to be.

I wouldn't think that is what it is - I think he just wanted to make you worry cause of this crazy weather - LOL!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with stacey ...keep doing ...what you are doing..... :wink:
    I know it is hard to wait and see....I hear ya... on that.. :hug: ...as stacey said....hair ..does take a little time to grow back.....I am curious as well ...why .....they lose there hair like that.... :wink:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont have Flicka anymore she was sold last spring. (the fall picture is one that was sent to me by her new owner. Her and her triplets from 2008 :love: )

TGS wasnt around when I had issues with Flicka so you wont find any posts about it.

Flicka lost her hair back in 2007 after I first got her. So it wasnt recent.

But it was summer time when she shedded out (July) so I wasnt as worried though I was afraid she would be totaly bald! but as soon as she was about to go bald I saw her hair growing back.

This year with Lola is different but I am just happy I have the coat for her.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks all!!!!! I know I'm being a worry wart....just me! I did take some pics earlier.....will post later so you can see my little alien........coats just got here...YIPEEEEE! :clap: . We are under winter storm warning for tonight and tomorrow, so I'm sooo thankful they got here.......I ordered them from Hoeggers and they seem quite nice! Oh, and Stacey the pic of Flicka and her babies....soooo cute! I have been looking at all the new pics of all the new babies....how exciting it must be to ahve babies....but me the scary cat has no plans to have does and breed......I can't even handle one wether loosing his hair :oops: !

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It's OK to be a worry wart......we all are.... :thumbup: ...I am glad your coat came in ....sounds like it is just in time ...because of the cold spell you are getting....... :hug: :)

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have to say that I go through this every year. I have one doe that it like totally bald. She is down to just skin. If someone came over and looked at her they would really question what I ma doing, but we can not figure it out for anything other then STRESS. It is mostly just the does that kidded but my bucks all went bald last year, and last I saw they did not deliver any kids. the vet did say something about a Zinc def. So I bought some Mineral max and I give that to them. It is HIGH in Zinc.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how is Mineral max working for ya so far? :)