EMERCENCY BLOOD IN MILK

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nhsmallfarmer, May 10, 2009.

1. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    this am when I went to tend my girls, my doe Holly was just standing there looking like well she was just standing there not doing anything like she usually does.

looking sad
    no cud chewing
    no eating grain while milking
    no strange smells, front or back
    ears cold body warm (fever, i dont have a thermometer :shrug: )

when I took her off milk stand her belly was harder then normal she wanted to take a few bites of grass so i let her (not something she normally gets)
    when put back in pen she stood there with head leaning towards the wall but not touching it

the one thing really wierd is she is yawning all the time :scratch:

Holly is the queen bee of the herd, so when it comes to feeding time she will push everyone off the hay, I have started putting 3 small piles out so everyone gets a fair shot, Im thinking she has been hogging all the feed and is over stuffed what do you think?

I gave her a bcomplex pill
    a baking soda ball
    some nutra drench

anything else?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: possible bloat?

keep up the baking soda and rubb her stomach. Keep her moving, dont let her lay down on one side for long.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

probiotic paste to help her gut..... :hug:
    stop the grain for a while.....

any gut sounds ....movement....?

how is her temp?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Is her left side extended? That is how you will know it is bloat. How long ago did she kid? Could it be Milk Fever?
    You need to get a thermometer to really know what is going on.

5. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire

Holly update

we have given her 3 doses of baking soda n oil mixture

walked her a million times, I should say just about dragged her :doh:

only heard one or 2 gut sounds

at one point today she didnt seem bloated at all but rather ganteded in so I gave her about 2 cups of water (poured down her throat, she wouldnt drink willingly) now she looks just alittle bloated on her left side

she has pooped at first it was like a big ole cow flop and 3 times later it was a little bigger then popcorn that is popped size then a big plop of poop

she has peed too

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

sounds like you've been really busy with her.... :hug:

Did you get a temp on her ?

.......do you have any probiotic paste? It will help... get her gut going again....with only hearing one or two gut sounds ....I am thinking it should be more than that.....

Just curious....Did you literally pour it down her throat?
    Using a big syringe is alot easier .with no needle on the end of course.......put it to the back area corner of the mouth ...and slowly plunge it ...into the mouth .... do it slowly ...with her head level ...will be safe and it will not .....get into her lungs...... :wink:

Her poo is probably off ....due to her bloating and gut problems right now...
    I am glad she is peeing....

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Did she get into any extra grain possibly? I would have her checked for worms and cocci.

8. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire

now that I think back, Holly has been pooping clumps, not pellets, for about 4 days prior to this. I put out enough hay for 3 adult goats and 3 kids, Holly will hog all she can, chasing the others off a pile ( I put 3 piles out) until all the hay is gone. when I milk her , I fill the grain bin,and she eats all she wants . so yes she could of been overfed.

I just went out an checked her, well she is still alive but not looking good, now she is moaning, I did get her up and she peed, she is still hunched up, she has no milk in her udder and I tape her teat so that really bothers me, one parts of her udder seem cold too :scratch:

there really is no goat vets in my area, I will call a few fellow goat owners and see what they say.

I was thinking to give her a round of Penicillan, how much would I give her? and where do I give her the shot?

This really bothers me, as first she is my 10# of milk a day goat and second I have my only other milking doe sold, to be picked up this comeing weekend.

9. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I LET HER OUTSIDE OF THE PEN SO I CAN DIVIDE IT TO SEPERATE HER, I SQUEEZED HER TEAT PURE BLOOD OR ATLEAST IT LOOKS IT

MAKING PHONE CALLS NOW

ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?

10. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

11. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Did you get her temp? Do you have a thermometer? Sounds like mastitis to me, especially with her being off. Is it pure blood? We talked to some people at Nationals a couple of years ago. Long story short is..the doe was fine and her milk was fine...12 hrs later one side milked pure blood and she lost half her udder to gangrene. This might not be the case with your girl, but it is definitely not something to take lightly. Can you take her to the vets?

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I dont have a whole lot of experience with dairy goats and I may be overreacting here, but it sounds an awful lot like gangrene mastitis, between the milking blood and the cold udder.

http://www.saanendoah.com/gmastitis.html

If your doe seems at all like this, I would get her to a vet now, ASAP, if its after hours an emergency clinic. If you dont have a goat specific vet clinic, take her to one that deals with dairy cows, explain that you understand their concerns about treating goats when they arent very experienced with them, but that all you want is for them to try their best. Beg if you have to.

I'm :pray: that she is going to be okay :hug:

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If her udder is cold then gangrene mastitis probably is the culprit. :(

She needs to see a vet asap. She is going to require a lot of meds and 24/7 care in order to get through this. I will be praying for her. :pray: :hug:

14. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am so not having a good day, from what I have read yes she may have gangrene mastits BUT her udder has not changed any color at all just cool to touch.
    one side is like pure blood the other side is pink milk

we are giving her 3 cc penicillan 2x day
    continue with baking soda until her gas returns
    making a black tea drink 3 times day for 2 reasons, 1 keep her hydrated and 2 the tea will hlep if she has any poisons in her belly

Im hoping we can cure this, hubba keeps asking how she got it? i dont know i have read staph is a culptrate but i cant find anything to read that would give me symptoms i am so lost right now

thanks for all your help

15. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I don't think pen. is strong enough for gangrene. I would get her to the vet now...gangrene is one of the worst types of mastitis you can get and it will kill them. The people I talked to at Nationals said in 48 hrs of them milking blood out of the one side it formed a black ring around the udder. These people were lucky to save their doe...gangrene is not anything you want to mess with. I agree with Keren...get her to any vet you can.

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    How is she going?

I agree with Jacque (did I spell that right? brain fart) - gangrene mastitis isnt something I would try to treat by myself. From what I understand, each case is different and the timing can be ridiculously fast (think half an hour, an hour) or a little slower (1-2 days). In the more severe cases it causes death, in the less severe cases it only causes the loss of one side of the udder.

:pray: I hope she's alright ...

17. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    well, when we went into the barn tonite she heard water being poured into the buckets and she got right up, it wasnt slow either it was like normal, I gave her a bowl or water which she willingly drank, she drank on her own earlier too.

she has been getting 6cc of pen 2x today

we gave her stool softener to get her to go as she hasnt pooped today but has peed.

a couple of times she came out of the barn today to lay in the sun too on her own.

her udder is still cool, one side is like bloody the other is pink milk

I have been getting it out as much as i can, she will stand for me to do this no pain, no lumps either

some ways she seems better and some ways you look at her an say aw man.

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have to say, Pen G seemed to work on Dawn but by the time it really started working it was too late and I had to put her down. The other antibiotic I started with was Baytril and it did nothing. I will never use that antibiotic again as it hasn't worked for me several times now.

You need to get some Today or some sort of mastitis treatment into her udder.

If you put your finger on her udder for a couple seconds and then pull it away does it stay white where your finger was?

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree that it sounds like a classic case of blue mastitis, that will quickly develope into gangreen. You need to get some antibiotic directly into her udder. Today or tomorrow, i can never remember which has the higher dosage of antibiotic. I think its the one for dry. Even if your milking her use this one. If you can get high amount of vitamin c down her that would help too. You can give her the orange flavored tablets. most goats like them.
    heres a good artical on gangrene, some of the pictures are pretty graphic. This is an acute case of it.
    http://www.saanendoah.com/gmastitis.html
    beth

20. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Re: BLOOD IN MILK

Sadly we will be putting Holly down this am.

upon walking into the barn she was laying there with her head towards her rear but up high on her shoulder, drooling, moaning
    still no bowel movements
    i tried move her head to get her to stand up and it went right back to her shoulder and she cried in pain
    her eyes look wide too

I will not see her suffer anylonger its not fair to her, she was a good goat and awesome mom.

Im not 100% positive it was gangrene mastitis as her udder never changed color it never swelled up never got lumps never hurt her to be milked out
    her little buckling was very persistant on trying to nurse and kept slamming the udder, maybe that was the answer i dont really know

we tried our hardest to help her. you know after all this maybe i should get every goat book there is and become a goat doc, the vets around here only deal with horses or dogs n cats