The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has a breeding pair of geese...she found her male plopped sideways this morning...he foot was very swollen..and he has labored breathing...she has been putting him in cool water to help with swelling and pain, the area was oozing...she squeezed a bunch if gunk out..she is worried..he is not eating..barely drinking....Sheis going ot give him Benadryl since we saw Chickens can have it..trying to draw out poison with baking soda paste...what else can she use..for swelling, pain, and drawing out the infection? should she do antibiotics??

Thanks guys .

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the pix she sent me....

Attachments

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Would activated charcoal help? Plantain, I believe, is also very good at drawing out toxins. If you chew up plantain (or blend it ;) ) and apply it to a bee sting, it will draw out the venom. I have used plantain on myself and my goats, I was impressed. But at this point I'd see if she can get a hotline or a vet involved.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Threehaven...I new there was something talked onhere about drawing toxins..I couldnt remember..Ill tellmy friend to go find some plantain!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
i was thinking maybe activated charcoal? i Just ordered myself a jar and got it yesterday, good to have on hand it MIGHT help? i have it if the goats eat anything toxic but it might help?

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Rubbing vitamin C into a snakebite or sting is also supposed to help absorb/deactivate the poison, but I think the charcoal and plantain are great ideas...

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill get an update from her, see how he is today..thanks for all your suggestions and good wishes : )

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...She lost him last night ...:( poor little guy..thank you for you replys

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
:( I am sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts