emergency 1 month old buckling

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rgbdab, Jan 17, 2009.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    One of my 2 bottle babies, Cory is in distress. This morning at 7 he seemed fine, took his bottle like normal and I put them in the back yard. I let a small group of 3 does, one that is due in a few weeks in the yard with them. Later when I checked on them Cory was laying by himself and shivering. It's about 45 degrees so it's not that cold. I brought him in and snuggled with him a bit and he seems almost in shock. From what I don't know. Then I notice him stretching like he does to pee so I start thinking UC. Can bottle babies this young get a UC? He is on cows milk and has been since he was 2 days old. Can the symptoms show up that fast?? I saw him pee like normal last night before we went to bed. He is clearly not feeling well, please help.

Since he started acting this way I have given him 9 ccs of the coffee, whiskey, caro mixture. I drenched him with 20 cc's of 1/2 ACV and 1/2 water.
    He is in the house lying near a space heater.
    He wouldn't take a bottle which is a first.

He is 1 month old.
    His temp is 101.2
    He weighs 18lbs
    He is intact.

Denise

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have never heard of them getting UC that young before..
    He has a normal temp so it isn't hypothermia.....he may of got slammed really hard by the
    doe , I hope he doesn't have internal injuries.....keep him in a safe warm place, away from the mature does,hopefully he will mend, keep an eye on his temp,baby him...all I can say is watch and wait.
    Maybe someone else has a better idea... :shrug: ..Good Luck :hug:

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What do his eyelids look like? If they are pale he definately could have some internal injuries (if they were nice and pink previously).

Is there anything that he could have munched on out in the yard that he never would have had before??

4. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Thanks for your responses, I took him to the vet before y'all posted because it's only open until noon today. This is what happened there; nearly the moment I walked in he started with diarrhea and by the time I was called in it was squirting when he bleated. The vet was quite concerned since it came on him so fast and he was very worried he would dehydrate at the rate he was loosing liquid through diarrhea. He did a fecal and it was negative. He tubed him with warm electrolytes, gave him a shot of antiinflammatory, an antibiotic and a b-complex shot.
    He gave me antidiarrhea med to give 3 times a day, probiotics to give once a day and the tubing and electrolyte mixture to give him every couple of hours until the diarrhea lets up. WHEW
    He said to be sure to keep him warm so he's in a playpen wrapped in a warm towel in front of a space heater.
    He said more than once he was worried about him, so of course I'm even more worried than before!

Thanks Denise

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wow, you did good in taking him to the vet. Hoping he perks up soon for you!

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I will keep :pray: for him and here is a :hug: for you!!

If you need anything - I am on my yahoo messanger today (doing homework - ok supposed to be) or on my cell 509.499.5828 If I don't answer, leave a message and I will call right back (usually don't answer if I don't know the number - but will listen to the message and call back!)

7. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Thanks!! I'll post an update this evening.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes they can get UC when that young. THey can be born with stones I have heard.

Now to his symptoms -- sounds rather strange that he didnt find anything in the fecal as I would have guessed cocci. Keep an eye out for enterotoxemia -- has he had a CD/T shot?

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Denise...how is the baby doing ? :worried:

10. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    He is hanging in there. His temp is 102.1, he has peed once and he has had 1 runny stool. He seems very weak, can only stand for a few minutes, totally content to lay in the playpen. I tubed about 3 oz of electrolytes earlier. I just gave him 2 oz of milk with a syringe. He acted like he was going to take a bottle but he would latch on for a second and then let it go and rub his nose around on the nipple. I pray tomorrow will be a better day for him and that none of my others get this sick. Denise

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what kind of fecal did the vet run? Did he say anythign about the possible enterotoxemia? What about ecoli? He has symptoms that could be any number of those things.

if it was just being chilled or being butted he would be fine by now, he obviously has some sort of bug.

Have you given him any nutri drench? If you dont have that children's liquid vitamines works good too.

12. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    When I checked on him this morning, he was standing up! I fixed him 1/2 of his normal bottle and he took it all. It took longer than usual to take it, but a huge improvement over yesterday.

He is not nearly as weak as yesterday and I am hopeful that he is on the mend.

I am still freaked out by the speed of his illness. If he hadn't been a bottle baby right here with me, he could have easily just died.

He did pee when I took him outside and no diarrhea yet today so keep him in your prayers.

Thanks, D

13. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Oh yes, prayers for continued improvement in your little fella. :pray:

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I've had baby goats with diarreah have a clean fecal and still have signs of cocci. I treat mine with sulfa and Diarsanyl. I'm glad whatever your ver gave him is working. I've also used Banamine for scours. It slows down the gut. Electrolytes are good for a feeding or so, but kids need the milk to make curd in the gut. I hope your baby makes it. I'm glad he's doing better.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It sounds like things are looking up!! Congrats :hug: I will keep :pray: for him to recover.

16. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Please keep us posted on this little guy's progress. What a trooper he is! You are a good mama!

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will pray....... he improves to a full recovery.... :pray:

18. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I am very pleased to report he is still getting better. He is still not back to himself, but considering my DH and I both feared he would die, he's doing great.

He pooped last night and it is like dog poo which is a lot betters than it was. He peed and peed this morning when I put him out. He took about 4 oz of milk which is less than half his normal bottle but it is an increase from yesterday.

So I am feeling pretty good about his recovery and no others have shown signs of sickness yet so it's a wonderful day.

Thanks to all for your kindness and concern.

Denise

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So glad to hear he is doing better! Hoping he keeps it up! :D

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California