The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't get a picture, but one of our bottle babies, Smokey, isn't doing well. He was fine this morning, but when I went out today, this is what I saw;

Slowness
Wobbly
Coughing
Shaking head
Throwing up clear liquid
Yellow buildup on his lip
Refusing to eat
Grinding teeth

If you know what this is and know how to treat it at home, please let me know!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
How old is the kid? What’s the temp? (101.5-103.5 is normal)
Sounds like it could be enterotoxemia, abruptly going off food, being wobbly and grinding teeth are all symptoms…
It could also be caused by ingesting something toxic.
Giving activated charcoal won’t hurt and it should help if it is enteto or toxicity. Also “Milk of Magnesia should be dosed orally at 15 cc per 60 lbs bodyweight”
Here is some good info
Hopefully someone with more experience will see this soon!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is the kid? What’s the temp? (101.5-103.5 is normal)
Sounds like it could be enterotoxemia, abruptly going off food, being wobbly and grinding teeth are all symptoms…
It could also be caused by ingesting something toxic.
Giving activated charcoal won’t hurt and it should help if it is enteto or toxicity. Also “Milk of Magnesia should be dosed orally at 15 cc per 60 lbs bodyweight”
Here is some good info
Hopefully someone with more experience will see this soon!
He's about 6 weeks old. He doesn't have diarrhea or anything like that.

Would it be safe to just let him throw it all up? We gave him some baking soda and vegetable oil in hopes that he would continue to throw up the bad stuff and it would help him. It looks more similarly to frothy bloat, but its not frothy

·
Registered
146 Posts
He's about 6 weeks old. He doesn't have diarrhea or anything like that.

Would it be safe to just let him throw it all up? We gave him some baking soda and vegetable oil in hopes that he would continue to throw up the bad stuff and it would help him. It looks more similarly to frothy bloat, but its not frothy
Not having diarrhea is kind of confusing to me…
I think throwing up would be good to help clear whatever is causing the issues out of his system, but it can cause dehydration so some electrolytes might help. Activated charcoal and oil will also help clear out toxins. Vitamin B and probiotics will help him recover.
I wish I had more advice to offer
@toth boer goats
@happybleats
@ksalvagno

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not having diarrhea is kind of confusing to me…
I think throwing up would be good to help clear whatever is causing the issues out of his system, but it can cause dehydration so some electrolytes might help. Activated charcoal and oil will also help clear out toxins. Vitamin B and probiotics will help him recover.
I wish I had more advice to offer
@toth boer goats
@happybleats
@ksalvagno
Thank you for the information you have provided, it is much appreciated. We got him separated from his sister just in case it's a contagious thing.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
I agree with treating for toxins. Activatedchaecoal..MOM as suggested..keep him hydrated.

Reactions: Ella Ruby

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
@TheMoth Hows your goat this morning?

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Keep up supportive care. If he stopped throwing up..give daily probiotics for at least a week.

Reactions: JML Farms

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Acrivated charcoal. Goats do not just throw up. It is still in his system. Throwing up means the good stuff is coming out.
We're in a money crisis at the moment. Right now, we're doing all that we can to make sure he stays hydrated. We think he might have something hung in his esophagus, but we couldn't see or feel anything.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Not saying this is what you are experiencing, but I've had something similar happen with some of my younger kids. Sometimes, when they are very young and beginning to eat pelleted feed, they will gobble it down and depending on the size of the pellets, they will get it stuck in their throat. They will scream, jump around, foam at the mouth, cough, and act off. Typically, getting them to drink water, or drenching them with water will dislodge the pellets and they are fine. Hope you are able to figure this out.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Good the one is feeling better..treat the other the same as you did before. Sorry Grandpa doesn't understand. Maybe after seeing how sick these babies get will help him understand.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts