The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to put the goats away and found my pygmy buck limping badly. He is not putting any weight on his leg at all, it is hanging at a slightly funny angle, and the softest touch hurts him A LOT. He is not his normal self. He is not being vocal, not being aggressive towards my little brother. He hurts. He is grunting/groaning, no teeth grinding. We let them out of their pen today to graze, and we think he got ran over by a horse :(
We only have the banamine paste, how many cc's should we give him? He weighs roughly 75-100lbs. Please help :(

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would also get him to the vet so the leg can be x-rayed and set properly. Also wouldn't hurt to have his internal organs checked out if you suspect a horse ran over him. Get some injectable banamine from the vet, it works much quicker and is easier to dose for a smaller animal.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
i Agree a vet is needed....if you cant get him in right away, give him two childrens aspirin...he will still feel enough pain not to do anything crazy..but it will take the bite off a bit..be sure totell your vet you gave him it when he goes in, and when he had it..aspirin is a blood thinner..if your little man needs surgery, your vet will need to know....keep him in a pen to himself keep water and hay near him so he doesnt need totravel for it...make sure he has shade...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update this morning:
Last night my mom decided to try and give him a pea size amount of banamine paste.
This morning he is up and walking, but not using his bum leg, so more like hopping. He is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing. He is in a pen by himself. Guess where.... In the house... LOL my mom decided on that one! Now the house stinks :(
But we didn't have any other places to put him that were close to the house....

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
You or a vet will need to set it and split it. If its a clean break it should just go back together pretty easy or may already be in place. But you will need to have someone hold him firm while you inspect the leg. He will not like it but it needs to be done. Find the break and make sure its aligned rigth. Use cotton gauze to wrap the leg to give it some padding and breath-ability. Then wrap it with vet wrap. Not much at first, just enough to hold the gauze in place. You then want two small sticks (paint sticks work great). Place them on the sides of the leg so that they extend past the hoof about 1/2 an inch and secure with more vet wrap. This will keep the leg straight so it can mend and allowing him to use the sticks to walk on. You want the vet wrap tight enough to hold the sticks in place but not so much that it cuts off circulation to the leg.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No vets are open around here right now. My mom can't afford a whole x-ray and cast right now, either :( She just wants to leave it and give him some pain meds. sigh.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
If you have some one near who works with goats..maybe ask if they can come help you set the leg....you can use a pool noodle as a soft but firm padding...always put cotton or a tore up t shirt between the leg and noodle/pvc pipe or what ever you use...
here are a few links to hopefully walk you through it if all else fails, leaving it as is..imo is not an option...he needs some kind of support
http://goat-link.com/content/view/150/#.UhlNUmSDQxc
http://www.motesclearcreekfarms.com/asp/articles/a-broken-leg.asp

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are the chances the shoulder is out of place, or the bone/mucle is really sore? We talked to my neighbor and he is convinced that casts make the bones weaker, so they are more likely to break again after the cast is off.
So I don't know what to do?

·
1,524 Posts
A cast will not weaken the bone. A cast will atrophy the muscle form lack of use while it's in place, but the muscle will build back once the bone is healed and the cast is off.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A cast will not weaken the bone. A cast will atrophy the muscle form lack of use while it's in place, but the muscle will build back once the bone is healed and the cast is off.
That's what I thought too.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I had something that sounds quite similar happen to a six month doe kid of mine. I'm blessed that I have a good vet. I took her in expecting nothing good. I was sure it was broken. Vet x-rayed the leg and it *was not* broken. He could see from the x-ray that her elbow joint looked "fuzzy" which means she had infection. It's been a struggle and she still is not fixed, but once we found the right antibiotic she has started getting better. I'm not saying this is what's wrong with your goat. Just trying to illustrate your first impression is not always right and vets can sometimes get to the bottom of things that we can't.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I talked to another goat friend who lives a couple hours from me, and she said to just leave him for a few days incase it isn't broken. Last week she had a doe who got caught in the fence, and was acting the same as our buck. I'm not saying that's for sure what happened, but we decided to just watch him for a few more days and see how he does. He's outside in a pen, getting around, eating drinking pooping peeing. So we are just going to keep watching him and if he doesn't improve, we will take him to the vet I guess. If we could afford it, he would be at the vets right away. But, we can't, so we just need to wait and watch.

·
4,956 Posts
... why would you wait when a quick examination would tell you for sure? Grab the goat, hold him and inspect the leg. If it moves at odd places/angles and or makes crunching noises, its broken. If not then it could just be a fracture. In any event you need to get hands on him.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... why would you wait when a quick examination would tell you for sure? Grab the goat, hold him and inspect the leg. If it moves at odd places/angles and or makes crunching noises, its broken. If not then it could just be a fracture. In any event you need to get hands on him.
I never said I didn't feel his leg... When we first found him, both my mom and I each felt his leg, and we didn't feel anything abnormal.

·
4,956 Posts
I never said I didn't feel his leg... When we first found him, both my mom and I each felt his leg, and we didn't feel anything abnormal.
Well you never said so :) You made mention of the lightest touch hurt him but you cant fell for a break with a light touch. Unless its a bad break and flopping as it walks. But if you did a real good check and nothing was outta place or moving where it shouldnt, then you have nothing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts