Emergency!! C-Section semi-graphic photo

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by nutmegfarm, Mar 1, 2010.

1. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Ok, here goes. Penny is a 3 yr old 2nd freshener. She was due on Thursday, and she is now 3 days over-due. Last year she kidded with a single doe kid (13 lbs) at 2 days over-due. She started showing signs of kidding this morning around 7 ish, not full-blown labor, just the start. She is having abnormal discharge, it is brown/red, and my first thought was dead kids. I gave her 60 ccs of calcium gloconate incase she is calcium short, which I'm pretty sure she's not, but it won't hurt her and will hopefully speed the process along. She also received a lutalyse "cocktail" to help stimulate kidding or at least help with dialation within 4 hours instead of the 30-some, hasn't worked. Her ligaments are fully intact, she is not opened up enough for me to feel anything. I'm saving the oxytocin for last, only if there is absolutely no hope. She is still not in labor and the clock is ticking. The vet was called, but is currently out-of-town (just my luck) I called a friend who owns a goat dairy who has 30 some years of experience and said there is nothing else to do but wait until the vet comes back...I'm so worried, prayers are deeply needed through this time of wait and see. My only other thought is super-bad presentation of kids, which will cause there to be no dialation or active labor, other than that, I'm clueless.

2. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Re: Emergency!! 3 days over-due doe having issues!

I went out around 3 AM and she is *slightly* dialated. Not very much, but some progress is better than no progress right? :shrug:

3. Native87

Native87 New Member

Yes. Any progress is better than none for sure. Prayers sent your way. I wish I had more to tell you about this. Best of luck to you and mom.

4. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts

:pray: for your doe and kids, we had one with brown discharge recently, ended up with one alive kid! The other was mummified.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

fyi, Do NOT give oxytocin unless her cervix is fully dilated. Otherwise you risk uterine rupture.

I've not heard of a drug that speed the labor faster than lute. She may just need a bit more time. I will :pray: :pray:

6. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio

Oh yes I'm not giving Oxytocin...I wouldn't dream of it. I had also never heard of this combo that made it come that fast, but my friend with the dairy said do this, so I did (I would trust her with my own life) and it has been helping.
    I went out this morning and she is dialated a bit more, I slipped my finger in there but nothing is near. She is also a bit more sunken in. Hopefully, there is some light at the end of the tunnel!

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Do you have access to a health food store where you could get rosemary oil? Not essential oil, but olive oil infused with the herb. If you take and put it on your hand and massage it into her cervix it will help with dialating.

Good luck :)

8. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio

We have started manually dialating her. It will take a few hours, but thats our only option. I don't have the funds currently to take her to the university, because no other vet will do a c-section around me (they quoted a price for me $$$$) Ugh, it seems there is no alternative at this point.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

what day is she on?

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I had several does go to 160 and farther. If her ligs are not at all gone she might not be ready. Are you 100% sure of the due date?

11. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio

she is now on 153. I keep very good records. I hand breed everyone drive-way style. She began the first of it, with just slight fluid, but no full contractions yesterday at 7 AM. I called about 3 different vets, and IF she is able to have a c-section, she will never be able to be bred again. Her kids are dead, which isn't a concern, I care more about the dam, but since the kids are infact dead, the vet said that she will not dialate and have it on her own, she will become toxic and pass away. Its a horrible decision either way. I'm at a loss for words.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

at 153 she is still in the normal range for kidding -- just as an FYI -- but if the kids are indeed dead then getting them out is best for the safety of the doe and I agree with that.

I just dont want people panicking if their does go over 150 since it is quite safe for them to go as far as 160 with no issues what so ever.

13. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

:pray: she and the kids will be ok. :hug:

14. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio

Oh no I know thats normal (the over 150)...it was the discharge that gave it away. I have dialated her to about 4 fingers, I can feel what might be a head and my gosh it is huge. I've been stimulating her cervix and that has seemed to help. I'm giving her until noon and then I'm having someone come over and help attempt to pull it. She is doing fine so far, no strange rotting smell to her goop, eating, drinking, but its def. dead. I'm just thankful its not a cross kid, that makes it a whole lot easier.

15. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

How do you know it's dead???

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Not sure if I missed it somewhere - but how do you know that the kid/s are dead?

I hope everything works out for you.

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I'm guessing she can just tell because it's not moving. When Spice had her dead mummified kid I knew it was dead. It's hard to explain how you know... you just do.

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

yea there is a big difference between live kids and dead kids. but its hard to explain

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I was curious - as I have a doe that I have never been able to feel a kid in there or anything and she has always had a happy healthy kid......

20. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio

The brown/red fluid was a sign and like some others said you just know...I knew the one for sure was dead...I didn't know how many she was carrying though. I took her to a vet who agreed to do the c-section and had it done. They pulled out one mummified, mutated kid who was no bigger than a baby rabbit, and then they pulled out this HUGE buck kid...this thing is massive (and still alive)!! The whole procedure took about 2 1/2 hours or so...they didn't k.o. her, just a slight numbing agent, but a lot of it she could feel (I had to hold her up) The vet sewed up her uterus beautifully, no gaping or excess swelling, so thats good. He said the procedure went smoothly from an operating stand-point but then as they were about to close her up, she laid down on the open side...he flushed her with more sterile solution and antibiotics than you could shake a stick at. He said the fact that she laid down and that one was dead are the only true problems, because the actual surgical part went wonderfully. She has about a week or so until she's out of the woods, so keep praying for my Penny girl...I prayed to God about 6 times for guidance and to help her, and it truely helped. Now its just keeping her up on Pen-G, banimine, propylene glycol, & calcium...so we'll see. Right now Mom and Baby are doing good, so there is light.