Emergency! Critical Kid RIP 3/15

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by firelight27, Mar 14, 2011.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My little two week old buckling wasn't super hungry yesterday morning and was hunched up and shivering. Took him inside, his temp was 95. Gave him an enema and he was very blocked up. Cleared him out well. His temp started going up quickly and was 101.5 in a few hours. Kept him inside with me all day. I was worried about enterotoxemia due to his gut being slowed up with the constipation and gave him anti-toxin at the treatment dose of 10ML....Also gave him 1/4cc of Pen G (he weighs 5 pounds). He came around really well and was hungry. Fed him a couple of times, about 1/4 cup each time as to not over fill him. Put him out around 9 p.m. and he was still a normal temperature, very perky. Ran after his penmate.

Checked him at midnight and he came running out to see me, still looked good. At 7:30 this morning I found him laying flat, unable to move. Very weak. I could not register a temp on the digital. It just beeped at me repeatedly. We haven't had power at our house for over 12 hours because we live in the mountains and there was a storm yesterday afternoon (not overnight)... Drove him twenty minutes to my dads house and he has been in a very warm bath since then. I am adding hot water as it cools, he is in a plastic bag with his head sticking out. I can't find the Karo syrup, so I gave him some pancake syrup and coffee. He is a little less weak. I gave him another treatment shot of anti-toxin for C&D, 10cc/ml....and another, larger dose of Pen G (1/2 cc). He hasn't shown any neurological symptoms up to this point. Now he is twitching his head. Looks like mini-seizures (my husband has epilepsy, and it looks like what happens to him sometimes during a very mild episode.)

Any other suggestions? I shouldn't have fed him so much at once, or split the feedings into smaller amounts! Gah! I am just trying to kill my animals?!

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Re: Emergency! Critical Kid

I'm so sorry. I don't have any suggestions, but I sure hope he makes it.

Jan

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

It kinda sounds like Floppy kid but dont listen to me....

Sorry I cant be of help, im still to new at sick babies. I sure hope he gets better soon, poor baby

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Do you know if.... the kid received colostrum right after birth?

5. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA

Firelight, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. Sounds like you're doing all you can.. especially under strained circumstances! I hope the little one pulls through...
    Good luck

6. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

Alrighty... Went to the vet about 20 minutes after this post. Got his temp up to 98, but it dropped back to 92 by the time we got there (30 minute drive.) Gave him pedialyte before I left. Stupid vet's office had me take him into a dog room and put him on a counter for awhile while he was so cold and wait. Got his temp at 92 and finally got some hot water bottles but they were just slightly warmer than cold at best. Waited for ETERNITY! The vet finally got there and listened, then told me he suspected he was hypoglycemic and hypothermic because he didn't eat much yesterday because I was being so concerned about overeating disease and his lack of pooping on his own.

Tubed him with Resorb and sent me home with a tube, big syringe and a ton of Resorb. By the time I got home his temperature was 90 because of all the waiting and screwing around. That was it. He didn't suspect enterotoxemia because he never had a fever and didn't have the symptoms. I have him bundled in wrapped hot water bottles (very warm) and have a heating pad laying on top set on medium. Am instructed to tube him Resorb once an hour, a big syringe full and then to get milk into him ASAP because he figures all of this was caused by not eating enough. He has a big herd of sheep and admitted he is basing all of this on treatment for sheep kids.

He is heating up slowly. I will try and tube him some milk once his temp is at least 100 so he can digest it. He also was worried that I was giving him whole cow's milk. He told me I should go get powdered milk replacer. I've heard this is bad, plus he acted like I should just switch over flat out. I would rather stick to the whole cow's milk...but he says 16 oz. a day for him (a nigerian kid) is not enough and he gives his bottle babies he has to feed 8 oz. per serving 4 times a day. Seems extreme for such a small little guy.

7. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I would keep him on the whole cows milk also--don't switch to the powdered milk replacer. Was he originally nursing from mom or have you had him on the cows milk for a while? I always do a slow switch from mom's goat milk to mixing whole cow's milk if the situation arises.
    My nigerian kids under 3 weeks of age were taking about 4 to 5 ounces in a bottle 3 to 4 times a day.

8. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

Oh, and yes he received colostrum..... He was on mom for a couple of days, and then I milked mom and fed them bottles of mom's milk for a couple days and then started adding whole cow's milk a little at a time until over a course of five days it was all cow's milk.

9. kitten6500

kitten6500 New Member

Dec 31, 2010

I agree with pelicanacresMN. Stay on the whole cow's milk, and at 2 weeks old he should not be getting 8 ounce bottles! My 2-3 week olds get 4-5 ounces every 4-6 hours, never 8 ounces until they are 6 weeks old. And like you are already doing- keep him warm so he can digest. I think you are definitely on the right track, I just hope he pulls through for you! Goodluck!

10. Re: Emergency! Critical Kid

Can't offer any advice.....just a shoulder. Hope your little guy pulls through okay.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I would get his temp raised PDQ....Use the hot water bath method with him in a bag to his neck to get his temp up...and even though I don't bottle feed kids, I've seen what replacer does to piglets, you have done very well with transitioning him over to cows milk, it is whole milk right? No 2%?

Getting his temp up is crucial, then see if he'll take a bottle of warm milk.

12. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support! The vet was very nice, yet his advice was exactly what I was already doing...besides the fact that I use a combo of syrup and pedialyte instead of resorb (which as far as I know is just glucose and electrolytes.) I really think taking him to the vet set back his temperature immensely...Le sigh. He is at 97.5 now and much, much better. He is sitting up and looking around. Huge improvement from the completely limp kid I found this morning (with an initial temperature of below 90, the thermometer was unhappy about how cold he was.) I am not giving him anymore of the Resorb right now. I gave him a ton as per the vet and his little tummy is looking really full. I am just relieved it isn't C&D. I was SO convinced that was what it was, even lacking a lot of the symptoms (groaning, obvious pain, fever, teeth grinding, etc.) I have mild hypochondria and general anxiety disorder, so I work myself into these mental fits of utter doom and destruction. Lol.

Someone is going to basically get a free wether kid. Ha ha, but he is alive. Should I be mixing Karo with the cow's milk? He said he was hypoglycemic, and that cow's milk was bad because it doesn't have the correct levels of things in it compared to goats milk and was likely one of the reasons he ended up with low blood sugar. I have heard of mixing Karo with cow's milk for kids, but what is the ratio?

Liz- Nope, no 2%, only whole milk. I am wondering if his pen mate kicked him out of the cozy dog house they were sharing. She has been great with him from what I have seen. Is somewhat larger but not immense..a young doeling.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I wouldn't mix the karo into the milk...Karo actually has a laxative affect on kids, if he's alert now, and has a belly full of the electrolytes, he may not feel hungry enough for a bottle. All milk has lactose..or milk sugar, whole cows milk actually has more sugars in it than goats milk does.

You may end up keeping him in the house with you for awhile, just to be sure he regulates his temp and doesn't go down hill again.

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

When he gets to the point where you can give milk, I would gradually add some evaporated goat's milk or cow's milk for more fat. I've used the recipe below with great success raising Nigerian and Pygmy bottle-fed kids. I don't bottle-feed unless necessary though. . .

ALMOST PYGMY MILK
    1 can evaporated goat milk + 1 can water
    or
    1 quart pasteurized goat's milk

Combine with 1/2 cup cream

Can be used as a supplement or as a complete diet for orphaned kids. Feed at the rate of 1oz per 1/4# body weight per day divided into 3 or 4 feedings. Increase with age not to exceed 20-24oz per day.
    -from www.wpgc-pygmy.com

15. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN

I dont know about Mini's, but I have raised several Boers on powdered sheep replacer milk (has more fat) and they did really well on it. I never gave them a 'set' amount, just fed them till they were full. I also always had a heating pad in their crate (with a towel over it so they didnt burn). Of course I have a fortune in them with the cost of the sheep milk replacer. I had never heard of giving whole milk until I joined TGS.

16. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

He is doing well at this point. Normal temperature and he is pretty perky and wanting to play. He peed and peed and peed....all over my truck, of course. The power is FINALLY back at my place so I took him back here. It was off for nearly 24 hours. He wants a little milk but his tummy is still pretty full so he is now resting comfortably. He will be a house goat until he goes to a new home or is quite older. :)

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Glad he doing good...great work.... :hi5: :hug:

18. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

Hmmmm... He was doing great, but started going downhill again a few hours ago. He is in a box in our room and was crying a little and wanting to get out. Followed me around a bit when I took him out, then suddenly started to go weak in his front end when I checked him again. Was wobbly. His temp had gone down a few degrees again. I've got it back up to a normal temp and gave him some more Resorb. Also gave him some milk which he ate with half-interest. We'll see how it goes.

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

:hug:

20. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon

He has gone downhill again. His temperature is holding steady at 103.5 or so, not going up or down. I gave him more Resorb and he drank some milk last night and seemed to stop weakening, but wouldn't walk...just stood in one spot with his head down looking out of it. I gave him another soapy enema and quite a lot of dried up poo came out of him followed by some soft poo. He has pooped nice soft poop several times over the night since then. He is peeing well too. His breathing seems a little labored as of now and he can't stand again, so I tubed him with more Resorb and put some more Karo syrup on his gums. I also continued the treatment for enterotoxemia last night with Pen G and anti-toxin just in case (the vet said it wouldn't hurt him.) I am really at a loss as to what is going on with this guy...Its is 4:30 in the morning and I have been up once an hour...only slept 4 last night. I feel sick, bleh.