Emergency? Difficult labor. -- Warning! GRAPHIC PICTURE

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by SterlingAcres, Sep 7, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Wynonna went into labor at 4am. The feet came out but the baby's head was twisted down under it's chest. I went in and turned it, so now it's snout first... but it's upside down and I'm afraid to twist it any more. The baby is alive, it's moving. But now Nona won't even push.

What do I do? :GAAH: Can I give her anything to "make" her push?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Re: Emergency? Difficult labor.

Are you sure its upside down? If its upside down you need to gently push the baby back in and re-maneuver it so that its right side up.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Shell is this still an issue? Can you pull the legs? thats what you need to do since the legs are out.

Hope she kidded already for you but if not I am up and I can talk you through it if you need the help

She is probably very tired but you can give her calcium to help with contractions and pushing. Give her 20-30 ccs of Calcium drench or CMPK gel

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

His head is twisted, not his body. But I'm going to have to call a vet. His head is too big, he keeps grazing her bones and she's screaming.

I'll try the calcium, but it's probably pointless by now.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

call a vet. I dont usually say that, but I think it's a good decision

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Yah calling a vet would be good. If his head is twisted then you will need to push him back a bit and untwist. How far is the head out?

7. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

any news?

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

:pray: praying for a good outcome.....I don't know how all you that breed go through these hard births......kudos to you all.......I am tooooooo chicken, guess that's why I have all wethers!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

thank you Denise... it can be stressful at times.... :hug:

Praying that all went well with the delivery...... :hug: :pray:

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

Just updating. Baby is locked in. Vaginal wall is completely torn. 2nd baby still alive, but Nona isn't looking so hot. She's going limp and she's cold. No vets will see her to save the 2nd baby because it won't even make the 2 hr drive. Livestock vet said she *may* have 48ish hours to live before she, herself, bleeds out and won't give any meds.

Today blows. :veryangry:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

pick that goat up and take to her a vet! demand a Csection on her to get that live kid out

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with Stacey.... that kid needs to come out if you want to try to save her....and/ or the kid(s)

But if you can't get her to the vet at all....Do you have any near by goat breeders... that you can call and possibly help?
    In an emergency .....alot of us breeders stick together and try to help......I know I would..... or try animal control.... maybe they might try to figure out something....

it is a 50/ 50 chance that she is indeed bleeding out......she is suffering and needs immediate..attention... or she will die for sure ...
    I agree to give her Calcium drench....

Is Nona the mom and she is getting cold and limp? If so..look at her gums/corner of her eyes... if her gums/eyes are white ...she may be bleeding out....or have a worm load...so you may not know if she is bleeding out if she does have worms.......

Don't give up on her....they is always hope.... but she needs help....
    Get her some warm molasses water ... if...she will drink it...if not... syringe it down her.. if she is awake ...a little at a time(slowly).....hold her head evenly... not upright ...as you will get it into her lungs....make sure.. she is sitting up right... get a heat lamp to..... or blankets... to warm her..... The kid needs to come out.... :(

...Is any kids on the ground(born)?...if so ...take it's temp ...if it is at least 100 degrees or more...milk mom and feed the kid colostrum... give by syringe or bottle.... If it is under 100 degree's ...the kid needs to be taken into the house and warmed up.... before feeding it...... give any live kid(s) a bo-se shot and vit E tab.... nutra drench... Rub the kid to stimulate it......The kid may survive.. if you work at it..... mom may to... depending on... if she is bleeding out or not... :hug: :pray:

13. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE

am praying Shell :pray:

14. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska

:( Will be thinking of you today - hope you can get some help! I would demand it.

15. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009

Denise called me and walked me through moving the stuck kid around. Nona started hemorrhaging very badly while I was on the phone with her... Huge clots and then went completely limp. We put her down (as recommended by 4 different breeders this morning) and c-sectioned her. 1 huge buckling. Gold and white with chocolate moonspots. DOA.

I did take a picture to send the breeder we bought her from, incase she wanted to see what her buck threw this season. If no one is squeemish, I'll post it.

What a waste :tears:

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Do you have a kid snare? Getting that looped over the kids head and behind the ears and pulling while you pull the feet may help, getting that first one delivered will increase the chances of saving any others....or if you simply cannot get that exhausted doe to a vet for a c section, you'll need to make a decision on wether or not she is savable...if not you can still save the kids by getting them out with a bullet and a scalpel and in a hurry. I'm so sorry you're first kidding experience has been anything but healthy and I am sorry to be right to the point but if you feel kid movement and mom is fading fast, you have 2 options, lose them all or try and save the kids :hug:

Just was posting as you updated, again...so sorry things turned out this way :hug:

17. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    WARNING : GRAPHIC PICTURE!!!!!

In the event anyone was interested, here's the huge baby buckling... He would have been gorgeous :(

[​IMG]

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am so sorry for your loss. :hug:

The best thing was to put her down, I'm sorry you weren't able to save the kid after all that work though. :sigh:

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wow thats one large kid. I am so sorry he didnt make it and you lost your doe. How heart breaking :hug: :hug: :tears:

20. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I'm so sorry it didn't work out Shell.

Sending some hugs.... :hug: