EMERGENCY! DOE ABORTING!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. sixshooterfarm

    sixshooterfarm New Member

    580
    Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so this doe I have been waiting and waitng and waiting some more to breed, well today I noticed that she dident look right, she had some discharge and her ligaments were soft, but still kinda hard, she does NOT have an udder, cant sqeeze anything out so that is what is making me think she is aborting. I gloved up and put one finger in and she is dialated and I can feel the bubble. My owrry is her ligaments are still hard, so I am afraid those babies are gonna be stuck, should I give her anything to help loosen those ligaments or is this a wait and see? help
     
  2. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    boy I have never been in this situation before. For now i would wait and see though because I wouldnt' want to advise anything that could hurt her.

    IF she seems in distress then action should be taken - though what that is I don't know, sorry :(
     

  3. getchagoat (Julie)

    getchagoat (Julie) New Member

    603
    Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Do you have a vet who could talk to you over the phone? If I'm that concerned, I luckily have one that will help me decide what to do and she knows what she's doing.
     
  4. sixshooterfarm

    sixshooterfarm New Member

    580
    Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok everything went OK, the babies unfortunatly were too little to live they were about 3 months along one buck :( and one doe. I hate it when this happens, but one thing is she had ALLOT of amniotic fluid, which to me is making e think there might of been something wrong with the babies..... unfortunaly this kinda stuff happens, momma is fine, did very well, I am waiting for the placenta now, poor girl i feel so bad for her. Ok well thanks for your guys help!! i will let you know that momma is ok later, thanks
     
  5. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my how terrible!

    I wonder if something caused the abortion or if it was her bodie that rejected them for a reason.

    would testing be able to be done to know the cause of the abortion? (not that you have to get it done but I wonder if it would even be an option)
     
  6. sixshooterfarm

    sixshooterfarm New Member

    580
    Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Yes testing is possible but i dont see why it is necassary. In all my years of breeding with lots of amniotic fluid and an abortion that usually means there was just something not right with the babies and the doe does what comes natural to protect her own body and that is to abort, they were small even for 3 months they seemed kinda small. Oh who knows, momma is healthy, and as cruel as it is to say you can always rebreed, even tho it is still so sad to loose the babies, but it was probably for the best!
     
  7. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I totaly understand. Glad mom is ok.

    How long will you wait to rebreed her?
     
  8. alyssa_romine

    alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

    Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
  9. sixshooterfarm

    sixshooterfarm New Member

    580
    Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I will probably give her 3 or 4 months to rebreed. But right now I am worried that she isent going to pass her placenta..... MOST does that I have usually loose their placenta within an hour or soo after kidding, I dont see any placenta coming out right now and it is making me very very nervous, she seems fine acting fine the whole nine yards, when should I start to panic??? I cannot loose this doe, plain and simple cannot loose this doe, the birth was very uneventful, babies came out very easy, so why isent her placenta coming out! please help
     
  10. trob1

    trob1 New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    give her some time. With them being premature it may take awhile. Otherwise you might want to get her a shot from the vet to finish cleaning her out but I think if you give her time she will do it. I am very sorry about this and if you do decide to test them be sure to take babys and placenta.
     
  11. sixshooterfarm

    sixshooterfarm New Member

    580
    Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Hi, okk she is expelling her placenta, took her a while but thank god she is flushing out, I was sooo worried that I dident go to bed till 4 this morning watching her, waiting for placenta to expel, once I saw it was coming out I was like thank god!! And went to bed. Thank you guys, I think I know what caused this tho, I went back into my paperwork and saw that i wormed her with valbezen and if I have my dates correct she bred probably a couple of weeks after I wormed her...the problem with valbazen is that is cause birth defects in bred does... SO I am thinking there was something internally wrong with them and momma did whats best.
     
  12. goatnutty

    goatnutty Active Member

    Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I wish things would have played out better but at least mama is o.k.
     
  13. sixshooterfarm

    sixshooterfarm New Member

    580
    Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Yes I wish she carried them to term, but I think she knew something I dont so she did what was safe for her, I am just thrilled she passed her after birth, I was soo worried about her. Ok guys here is a question, should I put her on antibiotics? I never went in as far as a finger to see if there was a baby in the birth canal, should I still put her on pen G?
     
  14. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Glad all is well now. As to the placenta - it can take up to 24 hours to expel.

    I wouldn't put her on antibiotic there doesn't seem to be a need in my oppion.
     
  15. Fainters

    Fainters New Member

    100
    Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I am sorry you lost the babies but thank goodness the doe is o.k. I have a doe that I bought about 6 weeks ago and not knowing she was bred, I wormed her with Valbazen. One week later she looked like she aborted becasue there was blood on her tail and rear legs. I never could find the fetus in the pasture. I have kept an eye on her and she has never come back into heat. She is starting to get fat like she is still pregnant. Can they lose one baby and keep another?

    http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/
     
  16. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Like all the others have said. I am so sorry that it all happened this way. I know it is hard to figure it out, but it did happen for a reason. :?: :?: I am sure you are already, but make sure mom is pampered. :lol:
     
  17. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Really sorry she lost her babies....glad she is doing fine though...at least you know that it wasn't an unseen injury that caused this or even that she was sickly....hope all goes well for her in the next breeding.
     
  18. sixshooterfarm

    sixshooterfarm New Member

    580
    Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Well thank you all for your kind words! Fainters, I highly doubt that she could keep the babies with all that blood, but then again you never know, these darn goats do what they want without telling us lol. I personally have never seen it. And yes, even tho the doe hates people she is being pampered, I have a bottle baby in with her and she seems happy with that. She is in a chain link dog kennel right now cause I dont want any accidents, I want her to have time to recover and when it comes time to breed her again I am going to hang breed this girl and personally see them do it so that I dont have this again, I have no freakin clue when she bred, no clue, but obviously she was good at hiding it!!! thanks guys