The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on vacation last week and when I came back, Trixie has lost ATLEAST 35-40 lbs since I left! She barely eats and drinks. Her fur is shiney and her eyes are clear but her skin is just hanging off her bones!! Her left front pastern is a little swollen and she limps on it. Well she did yesterday. She can't even stand today. And her pee is a good color but she has extremely runniy green dyarea

·
Registered
979 Posts
sounds like coccidia is a possibility or some sort of plant toxicity...have you checked her temperature?

I'd support with electrolyes and get a coccidia treatment going.
Youcan use pectin in the mix to help get the runs to stop in a pinch

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
Green runs is most likely dietary...did she get into grain or too much graze..C D Antitoxin ASAP! Take her temp ...Offer electrolytes to get her hydrated..if she wont drink she will need IV fluids...
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses(or what you have or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
1,062 Posts
Is she eating?up on her feet? Do you know what happened? Thats a lot of weight for 1 week. I would get a fecal asap. Start vit b and offer good hay to start. How old? A fecal will tell if cocci. Has she been tested for Johnees?

·
Registered
979 Posts
If someone can run to the vet and get some ringers (fluid) to give by IV or subQ she will recover quicker with injected fluids at this point...since she's down

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
Goats drop weight very fast...offer her hay and green leaves only..no feed..plenty of water, electrolytes , about 20 cc of pepto to help sooth her tummy and dry her bum.Fortified B complex is a great idea..

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
She may have worms or cocci, if she is really thin, scouring and no appetite. Get a fecal so you will know, what is causing the issue, to nip it in the bud quicker, knowing what it is.

How is her gum color, pale pink, white or dark pink?

What is her temp?

Stop all grain and feed less hot feed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Her temp is about 102.2*. And we have been giving her electrolytes for the past three days. We gave her pennacylin today but she has continued to get worse. She can't stand or pull herself up.

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
If you cant get any C D Antitoxin use Milk of Magnesia..try to bind the toxin in her gut...give her pepto to dry her bottom..continue the electrolytes; b complex will help boost her energy and appitite..
what color are her lower inner eye lids? if they are pale she needs iron..eith injectable or red cell which is oral..b 12 will also help rebuild red blood cells..
if you findher pale then worm her..it doesnt sound like you have the luxury of time for fecals...Use 1 cc per 40# ivomec plus if you can SUB Q not oral...

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
hows your goat doing?

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
any news?

·
14,760 Posts
I know I am really late seeing this, but I'd have a fecal done ASAP.

Also a few things I've found to be our best friend with very sick goats <thankfully not very often!>.

B1 <Thiamin> from the vet given every 6 hours <injected>
Goat Prefer Probios from Tractor Supply Company
Baking Soda drenched with water if they won't eat it willingly
Hay, no grain until they improve
Pepto Bismol for scours

But, of course you don't know what your dealing with. We know we don't have anything poisonous in our pen so we can always assume it's worms or a virus or something along those lines.

I really hope your doe is okay

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
Im sorry for your loss

1 - 20 of 22 Posts