The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K...so I feel like I've tried everything & the vet is at a loss. I have lost 2 goats & a 3rd seems to be on her way out. I'm trying to remember everything. Emmy 1st presented with loose stools and teeth grinding. So I treated as upset tummy. Pepto, electros, and baking soda with water. Teeth grinding stopped. She seemed happier, but stools became watery. I treated her with cd antitoxin & b vitamin, neomycin...still no change. She then started with snotty eyes and from there it was about 1 day. Before death. She was lethargic, I treated for coccidia with Corid. Almost immediately, she could not walk & died in the night. Tara started with loose stools only days after Emmy, and then days later Jimmy started also. I took decals to the vet and they said coccidia was almost gone, but they had round worms. Treated with ivomec and their stools began to get better. A few days later Tara had like loose turds and Jimmy was at least showing progress and was a paste. Jimmy then started stumbling alot and eventually(within 12 hrs) could not walk. His front legs were so loose, he couldn't even stand. And Tara started acting weak. I continued with b. Vitamin, but vet said to up the dosage...last night Jimmy could stand, but not walk and Tara got around shaky but decent. This morning Jimmy was dead :(. And Tara was barely able to walk. Hrs later....she is down on her side. I helped her up and her front legs collapse. ALL were eating and drinking fine. Even now Tara eats and drinks well. I have to bring it to her, but she is very happy to have it. I am completely lost. The vet said he has no clue. Fecals show reduction in worms. Vet didn't even want to recheck for at least 10 days...but I insisted. Coccidia is almost non existent. And they see nothing else. Said she appears hydrated and has good belly sounds. But ik she is going to die just like the others!!! I don't know what to do. Any insight! Any ideas! Any help! Please :'(

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Polio or listeria comes to mind.

Any mold in their feed (Hay or grain).

Do they have access to toxic plants?

Did they get into chicken feed?

They may of gotten into dangerous and deadly toxins.

Activated charcoal. ,injectable C&D anti-toxin, Milk of Magnesia, mineral oil with flavor added in it, mineral oil has no taste and can be aspirated into the lungs without flavoring, electrolytes (Bounce Back, ReSorb), are some things that can be used.

Ask your vet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polio or listeria comes to mind.

Any mold in their feed (Hay or grain).

Do they have access to toxic plants?

Did they get into chicken feed?

They may of gotten into dangerous and deadly toxins.

Activated charcoal. ,injectable C&D anti-toxin, Milk of Magnesia, mineral oil with flavor added in it, mineral oil has no taste and can be aspirated into the lungs without flavoring, electrolytes (Bounce Back, ReSorb), are some things that can be used.

Ask your vet.
My goats are penned up. They really only have access to what I give them. I have a few free grazers, but none of these are yet. Nothing moldy, chicken feed is in shed always. I will mention that we purchased 4 babies and brought them home. Since then...we lost our herd leader with very similar symptoms...presenting with the leg weakness 1st though. And now 2 of the babies with the 3rd being sick too. I'm almost positive they brought some sickness with them. Just no clue what!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I would have a necropsy done on one of the deceased.

Start with the basics...look everywhere in their pen...empty their water, clean it, refill, check their hay, their feed, etc.
Could neighbors have fed them something toxic by accident? When did your goats first start showing symptoms?

I would get a temp. taken on your goats and see if they're off.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have been dealing with very sick goats for months thank goodness I have lost any and I think we are starting to get better mine didn't have the same symptoms but one right after the other where getting sick it started with cough then snotty nose then really ban watery poo my vet too was at a loss and I would have another sick with 24 to 36 hrs the vet and I decided it had to be a bacteria and quickly started the whole herd on antibiotics and we seem to be getting better we are waiting on results of blood test right now to find out if we are correct I live where we have had so much rain flooding and humidity it is crazy so figuring because of that they must have picked up something in the water maybe because it is well water not sure if this will help but figure it wouldn't hurt I would try starting the rest of your goats on LA -200

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have a necropsy done on one of the deceased.

Start with the basics...look everywhere in their pen...empty their water, clean it, refill, check their hay, their feed, etc.
Could neighbors have fed them something toxic by accident? When did your goats first start showing symptoms?

I would get a temp. taken on your goats and see if they're off.
You guys are right. That's a great idea. Don't know why the vet wouldn't offer it. As for the temps...they were always good. I've monitored them. Always btwn 101.3 & 102.6. I clean water daily. After we lost our 1st...I raked out the entire area, cleaned shed floors & walls. Bedding is cleaned every few days. Feed is same as always & stored in leak proof totes. No real neighbors...I guess it's always possible though... And then it hit me.

I've gone through the checklist 100 times & assumed that since nothing changed...everything must be ok...but something's obviously wrong! The hay!!! Same place we always get it...but 1 common denominator...I use for my rabbits too & have lost 2 litters! I assumed something was wrong with mommas. Maybe a deficiency or something, but prob the hay! Can rabbits get listeriosis too? The hay looks fine, but ik it was super wet that cutting cause he told us he has to spend 2 days drying before he could bale. He uses it on his animals & they are fine, but are also all adults! I can't imagine a $25 bale of hay has reeked all this havoc on our animal family :'(

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Any hay mold dust at all, can cause toxic reactions and kill your goats. When you pulled the hay apart, did you get a cloud of dust? If so, it could of been mold.

If your rabbits ate it and died as well, there could be a link.
I would find an different hay source and stop feeding that hay, then see if things are better.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any hay mold dust at all, can cause toxic reactions and kill your goats. When you pulled the hay apart, did you get a cloud of dust? If so, it could of been mold.

If your rabbits ate it and died as well, there could be a link.
I would find an different hay source and stop feeding that hay, then see if things are better.
There was a little dust. I had no clue it was mold! :'(. And the bunnies died kinda the same. Loose stools and then bam on their sides...lifeless :(. Idk how I could miss it. I was so caught up in all the other details & it never clicked...something so simple. So much loss :(. I guess I'm just relieved that it may finally make sense and can be fixed. Tara got 1 dose of penicillin and a steroid shot from the vet & now she is on her feet grazing. I'm not expecting a miracle, but it was such a turn around! I pray this is the answer & the end of this nightmare!

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I feel your anguish and despair. :(

Don't be hard on yourself, it is easy to over look, if you do not know what to look for.
I always give my hay/grain a whiff,drives my DH crazy, but I have to be careful. Close your eyes when sniffing the hay, cause sometimes, you may get jabbed in the eye, it doesn't feel good. :eek:
If it smells off, it is most likely mold. If you see mold spores visually, or smell it, can kill a goat.

Same with grains, smell, look closely, if it doesn't look or smell right, do not feed, take it back to the store and refund your money or have them open another bag before taking it home. If it is hay take it back and go elsewhere.

I pray, that this is the answer.

I am happy, your goats now are improving. :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I feel your pain I thought same thing cause hay was only common thing other then me going from pen to pen to pen to pen the only thing that has seem to make any difference is the antibiotic

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Hope it is the hay so you have a solid answer. But let me just say if most of the people who post looking for help on this forum put in a fraction of the effort you did to help/save your goats, most of us opinion givers would have alot more free time on our hands. You did an outstanding job.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wondering if others who have treated could give me an idea of how a goat recovers. I just wanna know if it's actually working or if we need to keep digging. Tara was so well last night & again this morning she is down on her side...lifeless. I got her back up gave her penicillin & steroids. She's sitting again but no longer drinking. I had to syringe her electros. Should she be so back and forth...such drastic differences. I feel like maybe the meds are just helping enough to bring little change but the real problem may still be hiding :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope it is the hay so you have a solid answer. But let me just say if most of the people who post looking for help on this forum put in a fraction of the effort you did to help/save your goats, most of us opinion givers would have alot more free time on our hands. You did an outstanding job.
I appreciate that alot. I truly love my animals & each loss cuts so deep.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know how you feel. I lost one of my favorite wethers from a hay issue. We got hay from our cousin who raises cows. They hay field had a ton of weeds and some that were poisonous to goats and he ate that one plant. Fine that night dead and bloated next morning.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tell us what exactly you are giving her and how much of each.
Right now she is getting 2ml of penicillin every 12 hrs. She is on 2.5ml of b complex & 1/2 ml of dexamethasone. She has not stood up at all today. Just from laying in a sit up position to down on her side. She is alert & crying but can't get up :(. I'm taking her back to thle vet in the morning!

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
She needs straight thiamine . B complex does not have enough in it. I don't have access to my notes but look up polio on Tennessee meat goats . She tells how much reg. b cplex she needs to get enough thiamine. Them tomorrow get straight thiamine fr you vet. Keep the bottle on hand. It doesn't cost a lot and good to have

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry to hear about your goats dying.
A week ago my mom accidentally backed the car over my baby goat Fluke.:(
I was really upset because i was really attached to him.
Though listening " We Live - Superchicks" really cheered me up.
listening it may help with the pain of losing your goats.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts