Emergency- friends goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Jun 25, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hey, my friend has a goat who miscarried a week ago, i told her to watch the doe..now she has a 107 fever, standing up, not eating. I'm suggesing penicillin 1cc per 100lbs for 5 days, nutri drench and probios.. what do you think? Vets aren't anserwing or are out of state

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ok, well I'm thinking 2 IM shots of 5ml of LA200.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What size doe is she?

When I had a boer doe with a bad odored vaginal infection after kidding.... for a smaller doe.... I gave 5.5cc and a bigger doe... I gave ...6cc of PenG for 5 days......

Does the doe have a smelly discharge?

How far along was she?

Does she have a cough or nasal discharge/respiratory issues ...could be pneumonia....Nuflor is good if it is pneumonia.

The temp needs to come down quickly...if she has banamine... I would give it ....to help with fever and and to drop temp.... :hug:

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i agree with pam... if you feed me some more symptoms i can help more

5. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Dosage there is WAY low on PenG, if that's what you're choosing to use.. Should be 1ml/15lbs 2x/day for 7-10 days w/ an 18ga needle.

If you choose to use a 200mg/ml tetracycline (Bio-Mycin 200, LA-200, Agrimycin 200, etc) I'd go with 1ml/20-25lbs 1x/day for a minimum of 5 days.

Obviously, with a fever of 107, the goat has an infection somewhere...regardless of where, it needs an antibiotic RIGHT NOW.

If this were my doe, I'd accompany the antibiotic with a shot of Banamine dosed at 1ml/100lbs IM. Banamine is a pain reliever, but it's also an anti-inflammatory and reduces fevers.

So...is there funky vaginal discharge? I mean, are we suspecting it to be metritis (uterine infection), or do we think we're looking at a UTI, URI, pneumonia, ...? Or do we have any idea what we're looking at, aside from knowing it's an infection?

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you are referring to my dosage....This was recommend by a veterinarian.....why is it to low... when it worked for my does..in which... where so smelly... that you could smell them at a distance..?? :scratch:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well
    We got her LA200 at the local hog farm.

we're doing 8-10cc per day (every other day of course) 4.5cc IM in each back leg. Probios, Nutridrench, and a uterine flush with terramycin/distilled water.

8. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Nonono...the 1ml/100lbs dosage mentioned in the original post. :)

The high dosage I use is one I first ran across on Fias Co's website (which is mostly pretty good), and was verified through some instruction I got from my own vet.. I had a little guy w/ UC that we put on dexamethasone for inflammation control.. Dex is an immune system killer, and should always be accompanied by an antibiotic...plus, we suspected the UC may have been cause -- at least in part -- by a UTI.. So the vet had me give 3ml of PenG 2x/day "for at least a week." Little dude was about 45-50lbs at the time, so the math worked out right for it to be about 1ml/15lbs 2x/day for 7-10 days.

I always throw the needle guage thing in there because people tend to want to go with smaller needles for smaller animals, when really, the needle guage should be chosen based on the consistency of the med.. Pen is a suspension with fairly big particles; it can be drawn up into a 22ga syringe if you work at it, but what happens is that you end up 'straining off' a lot of med and pulling up too much carrier. A 20ga will usually work without having to backflush too many particles into the bottle to continue drawing, but an 18ga is sure to give you an adequate ratio of med:carrier. Dunno where I learned that, but I learned it somewhere. :p

Did you give 6ml once a day to the big doe, or twice?

9. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Tetracycline blood levels drop quickly in goats...more quickly than in other animals. I know the bottle says to dose it every 48-72 hours or whatever, but for goats, it's usually given daily for 5 days.

If it were me -- and it's not, I know, but -- if it were me, I'd be using the LA200 at a rate of 1ml/25lbs daily for 5-7 days.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I second the daily part -- doesnt work if given every other day dont care what the bottle says!

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friends doe, I hope she gets better soon! And all the wonderful advice here is great!

12. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Many vets are reluctant to recommend a higher dosage than the label suggests, and since almost NOTHING is labeled for goats, you're better off taking everyone's advice here. For my post kidding infection I recently went thru, I used 3-4 cc Naxcel and 4 cc BioMycin on a 65 lb. doe. It worked. No side effects. I hope it works and she comes thru it.

13. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Meant to add, if you're using Pen-G or that's all you've got, I wouldn't bother with anything less than 3 or 4 cc every day for any goat over about 65 lbs. Banamine will help her feel better and eat, you might also try keeping her hydrated with molasses mixed with water several times per day. She may not feel like getting up to drink but it's crucial that she does. The molasses will do the trick. Fortified B complex shots will help wih her appetite. Hand feed her if you have to. Treats, grain, leaves, anything to keep her gut active.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I guess her temp is down to 104 and she's quietly sleeping with a buddy :)

I'll tell her about the LA200 schedule also, been busy so not on much.

and we didn't give any penG

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree... :hug:

Be careful... when giving shots there.... myself I stay clear.... from that area.... as there is a nerve...I forget what they call it.... if hit with injection... can paralyze a goats back leg.... :(

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    k. I made sure to tell her when doing an IM shot that you'll want to pull back once in the skin to make sure you're not on a vein. No problems so far.

and update as of this morning, the doe is standing now, and eating hay and she says that the doe was drinking a lot of water, must have been thirsty. I told her to put in electrolytes or powerade

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    glad to hear there is improvement :)

18. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    It's the sciatic nerve, and would cause absolutely horrible pain if hit! Yikes! I just saw this threat, and glad your friend's girl is doing better. The molasses water recently worked great for our girl and was all she would drink. I had it almost hot, even though it was 100 degrees outside. I was shocked, but she loved it. :hug:

19. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    I usually do IMs where the neck meets the shoulder, but sometimes the 'butt' muscle works better.. If I have to give an IM there, I come in from the side at an angle pointing BACK...like, pointing away from the goat's body, if that makes sense.

Coming in from the side lessens the chance of hitting the sciatic nerve, and angling away makes it a little safer in the event that they kick or jerk or do something silly like that..

I really hate giving IMs in the leg, though...always worried I'm going to hit the sciatic nerve.

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, I usually do IM there in the shoulder.
    I haven't gotten an update today, so I'm guessing she's good. the owner would have called me if there were more issues. But last i heard it sounded like she's on the mend!

sorry I havent been on much at all. the weather isn't even good, just busy.