Emergency goat down

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Nov 9, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I hope its okay that I am using this thread. I need ideas/input from other people.

My FB boer doe Vanity, who prolapsed at 7 weeks before kidding, is not well. She had been fine until now, two days ago the string in her vulva broke so she prolapsed again, she was stitched up again no worries. But for the last two days, she is not well at all, and she is going down hill.

Today, she doesnt want to eat and drink, she is sitting most of the time moaning and heaving. She is prolapsing past the stitch a little, but it disappears when she gets up. She doesnt get up until I make her, and she has a lot of trouble standing, she can barely walk. She falls over when she tries to walk. She does not have an elevated temp.

I wondered if she had some preg tox or similar, so she has had glucose, calcium, magnesium and ... bugger I forgot what else is in it, under the skin, also some oral glucose and electrolytes. She will be going to the vet first thing tomorrow to be reassessed.

But, HERE'S MY QUESTION: how early can you have viable kids? Because she is four weeks away from kidding, I wondered if maybe I could get her another two weeks they would be ok, but I honestly dont know if she is going to last that long. At this stage, and its cruel to say but the kids are more valuable than her.

Thanks guys. Man I hope I dont lose her before she kids, she cost me $2000 I dont have any doe kids alive from her, and I have sunk about $300 in vet bills in her already. Plus tomorrow I;m going back.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: EMERGENCY

kids are viable on day 140 before then the chances are very slim

But I had a premie this year and she did great after a little help at first(dont know the day she was born as her siblings were fullgrown and I had the buck around for 3 weeks :shrug: )

I do hope she makes it till tomorrow. :pray: I am saying some prayers right now for her, you and the vet.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

her kid inside may be pinching her nerve in her back...spinal area.....kids can push on all kids of things in there...... :shrug:
    I am glad you are taking her to the vet.....I would of done the same in that situation ......I pray she will be OK... :pray:

I agree with stacey...they will be safe at least 5 days within the due date of 145 days

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

ok, day 140 is 23rd Nov.

To update, she is looking sooooooo much better after the stuff I gave her. I will give her some more in the morning. She can stand up by herself and walk without falling over now, she is picking at some lucerne and had a small drink.

So all in all, crisis averted (for now). Will take her in tomorrow to have her assessed in any case.

Its gonna be a looooong two weeks

5. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon

She may have some very large kids in her draining her??? Also if the kids are large...........doesn't leave much room for food. Will keep her in our prayers for a positive outcome!
    Sue

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

A prolapse is usually indication of "more" kids than the doe can handle....I had that happen to a pygmy this past February...and she did nothing but lay around and had an awful time with a rear leg not wanting to move right. My doe prolapsed 2 weeks before she delivered, vet was out and put a stitch in, she was given a calcium drench as well, kidded with triplets and all was well. I do hope your doe can hold them kids in til the 23rd...I hope your vet has a good solution for you.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

So she is looking a lot better this morning, still not eating much but almost back to herself. I do think that it might not have been related to the prolapse, more of a metabolic thing preg tox or milk fever something to that effect.

Liz we scanned at least three kids in her - in her life she has had two sets of twins and four sets of triplets. So I'm expecting 3, although this season has been ridiculous for multiples so I wouldnt be suprised even if there were 4.

toth, I'm pretty sure it wasnt just the kids pressing on her. I've seen it before, and this was definitely something worse.

Its funny, I've seen preg tox, ketosis, milk fever, grass tetany all before pretty much all the metabolic problems, but I just couldnt put my finger on what exactly this was. She just went down so so rapidly, unlike anything I've seen.

I am happy with her recovery so I wont take her in to the vet today, but I will call her to have a chat.

Thanks for all the input guys, that was a scary day!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

oh just wonderful news

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

keren......I'm so glad ....she is showing improvement.. :)

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

So she's down again this morning :sigh: Not groaning and she can stand and walk but she's not getting up unless I make her.

Will give her some more 4 in 1 and all the other stuff and see. She's prolapsing a little when she sits down but it goes back in when she stands up, so I guess as long as I can keep it at that stage it will be ok.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I am so sorry to hear that... :( did you ever take her in..to have her assessed by a vet since she has not been acting and feeling right?

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

toth, I didnt since she picked up so well, but I think I will have to now she has gone down hill again. Counting down till Nov 23 ...

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I really think that would be best....I pray she makes it to her due date ... has healthy kids and can care for them...... :pray:

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

So I spoke with Stacey (my vet) this afternoon, she actually rang me before I got to ringing here lol.

At the moment, we have agreed on a game plan (along with input from other vets and knowledgeable goat people in the area). She is able to stand and walk, but doesnt tend to do it on her own, only when I motivate her.

At the moment, I am going out and offering her water and fresh food every few hours, she has food hay and water in front of her (she's laying in the shed) all the time. After which, I make her get up and do a lap of the pen. She wont eat or drink when I get her up, so thats why I offer it while she's down. She also seems to forget to pee so she makes a flood every time I get her up. I am also giving the 4 in 1, plus oral glucose and glycerine twice a day.

In an interesting development today, when she stands up she is hunched like she has a belly ache, but also, when the water hits her belly the kids start kicking like nuts (I can put my hand there and feel them, very cool I have never done that before, at least I know there is something alive there), but when they start kicking around she jumps up like its hurting, and hunches badly. Any ideas as to why this is??? Should I be concerned??

We are wondering if she has four in there. Given that she has carried triplets before with no problems, but she has never had quads and maybe that is the reason for all these problems?

So the game plan is to keep babying her along, feed, water, walking couple times a day, glucose and keep an eye on the prolapse. Then we will reassess when she gets to Nov.23. If she is very sick we will induce on the 24th (as the 23rd is a Sunday) but if she is much the same we will induce on 28th (which will be day 145).

I do think as long as the prolapse situation stays ok, that I will be able to get her through the next 12 days.

:worried: Although I couldnt figure it out, my computer tells me that <-- is a worried smiley.

If she has four bucks I am going to scream and quite possibly break something lol

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    this is because she cannot pee through the prolapse....when she gets up and the prolaspe goes back in she can then pee..... :)

with prolapsing she doesn't have much room for the kids as it is ...when they start moving it is probably very uncomfortable for her....it is normal in her situation....

Or there could be 3 huge kids in there...did you feed here high quality feed and alot of grain all through her pregnancy? If so the kids may very well be larger than normal... :shrug:

sounds like a great plan to me.... :)

I am praying that all goes well....and she can hold on and be there for her little ones. :pray:

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Thanks, you have eased my mind a bit, particularly about the hunching when the kids start kicking away. I have never seen any of my trip and quad bearers do that before.

The feed regimen hasnt been any different to normal ... although it does seem like it is the season for multiples, multiples, multiples around here. One friend only joined 6 does but she had triplets from the lot of them, and normally their goats only have twins. Another friend had two sets of 5 and one set of quads. Another friend had 40 does kid and I think she had five sets of quads and the rest triplets. And at work we are currently kidding, and we have about twice the number of trips than we normally do.

So, I wouldnt be suprised if there are quads in there - yikes. On the other hand, it may just be trips and it could just be the stress of being transported round (she went to a few shows before the first prolapse, then all the trips into the vet).

When I went out to check her this morning she was standing already. So that is encouraging. She looks proppy already lol but I know its just cos she's crook.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

wow..... that is alot of multiples... :shocked: ......I guess it is an epidemic this year....Those Poor does....and your doe...... I don't know how in the world they do it.... :sigh:

It sounds like you are doing a terrific job .....in what you are doing for her every day... :) I think it is helping especially ...if she is getting up and is perkier :thumbup: :wahoo:

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

I went out and took some photos ... will post here as soon as I resize.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

that would be wonderful.. :)

20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

Here are the pics.

You can see how she's hunched over when she stands.

[​IMG]

She's not overly wide but then again she never is.

Does she look like the kids have dropped to you?

[​IMG]

She is spending a lot of time today with bum in air and down on knees.

She is also very sensitive to touch - when I just lightly touch her anywhere she flinches.