The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a goat down.... no fever, no scours .ir nasal discharge... she lays on her side flopping her head. First thought was bloat.. gave her a baking soda ball & a shot of .bo-se... I''ve been massaging her belly & she will get up & try ti walk, but lists to her left & can't stay up long. I wld like to give her a ccopper bolus but my bolus gun went in the fire... him else to admin & how much? Any suggestions wld be appreciated

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a goat down.... no fever, no scours .ir nasal discharge... she lays on her side flopping her head. First thought was bloat.. gave her a baking soda ball & a shot of .bo-se... I''ve been massaging her belly & she will get up & try ti walk, but lists to her left & can't stay up long. I wld like to give her a ccopper bolus but my bolus gun went in the fire... him else to admin & how much? Any suggestions wld be appreciated
How about BO SE

·
Super Moderator
14,780 Posts
I totally agree. Those will kill a goat fast!! You would know if it was bloat the stomach would be very rock hard. The copper rods are a slow release so basically will do hardly anything for the first few days.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her belly is pretty hard which is why I thought bloat.... I did just give her a shot of thiamine. Thank god that was one of the meds I had brought inside. No banamine.. Idk where the hell that went...can I give her some children's tylenol? I had a complete print-out of emergency Tx/procedures but that was in the shop....

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. Her belly is softer now.... she will accept warm water Fr. Syrjnge but won't drink from the heated water bucket. Temp at 101 but I have since moved her into an inner barn pen w-a buddy goat (her mommy). Gave thiamine 3hours ago and will again shortly. Can't got badamine til tomorrow. Any other ideas? She will eat hay .fr my hand but no effort to get up.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
totaly agree with Karen!! ...you want to treat forboth polio and Listeriosis as well..both polio and listeriosis have simular symptoms..Large doses of penicillin is needed...hereis alink to show a chart of how much she needs
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

Banamine will help reduce the swelling onher brain..not sure if reg. aspirin wil do this job...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Aspirin won't reduce swelling. Has anyone ever used ibuprofen on a goat? Brand name Motrin, etc is same class of med as banamine (NSAID). I don't know. I guess you would double at least the human adult dose and grind it up for drenching.

Karen, is there any chance this could be MW? I ask because of my recent experience with it. I had a buckling go down fast with head pull to one side and nystagmus..... I still wonder if it was MW instead of listeria ( the latter was what I first assumed).

I just wondered if you and others thought she would be wise to begin safeguard as well?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Aspirin won't reduce swelling. Has anyone ever used ibuprofen on a goat? Brand name Motrin, etc is same class of med as banamine (NSAID). I don't know. I guess you would double at least the human adult dose and grind it up for drenching. Karen, is there any chance this could be MW? I ask because of my recent experience with it. I had a buckling go down fast with head pull to one side and nystagmus..... I still wonder if it was MW instead of listeria ( the latter was what I first assumed). I just wondered if you and others thought she would be wise to begin safeguard as well?
Ibuprofen dose is 2 adult tablets per goat every 4-6 hrs

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I COULD BE WRONG! But Im not sure the inflammitory factors of listeriosis or Polio would be effected by aspirin...but it wont hurt to give it..The swelling is brain related not in the body where the aspirin would help...I do not use ibuprofen

and yes 4 1/2-5 cc per 100# for B complex : )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also check to make sure she is not anemic. Sometimes we forget to do that. If it is lister or polio she needs Penicillin best place to inject is right behind the ear it crosses the blood brain barrier faster. I had a wether go down from it and he recovered but it takes a few weeks to regain strength regular messages of the legs if she isn't using them also helps with blood flow to the legs.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Do not try to feed goats that are in that kinda state. If its rumin related you will just make it worse. Meds and fluids. Like with humans, when you are really sick do you wanna eat? No, the body is having a hard enough time trying to fight off what ever is wrong. Adding digestion of food to the mix, not a good idea.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She was alert this a.m. but still propped on her left side. Gave her another thiamine shot & nutridrench. What do I do for iron deficiency? Her rumen is working - belly no longer hard & she's eating hay right next to her.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.