EMERGENCY HELP!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gotgoats, Jul 10, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    We found our goat tonight when we went to feed lying on the ground and can't get up. We tried to get her up and she fell over unable to stand. She is having lots of clear drainage out of her nose. She appears bloated on her left side. She seems "out of it". Resp are slow and unlabored, no fever. She does have a rash on her belly, and I don't believe it is from the sun because it has rained most of the day. She is somewhat stiff, mostly in her back legs. She is possibly breed. She ate yesterday no problems. I know we will probably have to put her down, but any last resorts. My husband says it seems something like black leg he has seen in cows. Anything similar to that in goats. We have never lost a goat or had an problems in the time we've owned. Thanks,

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

if you can prop her up against a steraw bale on her brisket that would be best. If she lays on her side to long her oregons will shut down. Get her some probios and vit b baking soda wouldnt hurt. Neither would some CMPK. what shots has she had? how far along would she be in her pregnancy? has she had her tetnus shot?

beth

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I saw that you posted that her temp was 104 , Get her propped up and try the baking soda....will she drink at all? Is she foamy around the mouth? Other than that I am so sorry but I can't be much help :shrug:

4. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    She is foamy at the mouth. She wouldn't eat or drink, but did turn her head to it and smell. We've tried to stand/prop her up, but she slides back down. Although she tried to kick us with her back legs while doing so. She was wormed recently with Safeguard about 3 weeks ago. She would be about 1-2 months along. Going back out to check. Thanks for the help.

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    If it was polio I do not believe she would have a temp - could be wrong though. Has she thrown up at all? It sounds like it could be frothy bloat, if so get her up and moving and rub the heck out of her rumen.

6. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    She hasn't thrown up. Still won't take anything. Pretty much the same. I do hear crackles on expiration and some rhonchii. She does appear bloated on her L side, is this because she is propped on her side? She has clear froth at the mouth, and clear snot from the nose. I will go back and get her up, and rubby her down. will try anything!

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

my first thoughts are either frothy bloat i which case she needs mineral oil baking soda and a C&d antitoxin shot. poisening, in which case mineral oil activated charcoal and magnalax, or goat polio in which case you need a vet.
    beth

8. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Temp is up to 105.3. Will post update in morning on condition. Gave B Complex and PCN. Don't have :cry: banamine on hand wish I did. I feel so bad for her. :cry:

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    To my understanding with Polio there is no temp. I think you may have a case of Listeriosis (SP?) on your hands, in which case Pen would help, make sure you give her enough, I would suggest some orally and some IM/SQ. Did she have access to moldy hay/feed?

10. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    She died during the night. :cry: I knew when we found her we would probably lose her. I just wish I knew what it was, so I could prevent it and make sure my other goats don't get it. We've had goats 3 years, she's our first to ever lose.
    I know she probably hasn't gotten into any moldy hay. It has just rained like 5 inches in the past several days here. I was kind of thinking pneumonia, but she wasn't coughing and the drainage was clear although she did sound crackly. Then I thought bloat because her stomach was distended on the L side, but not extremely tight or huge, and she was frothing at the mouth really bad. Whatever it was she went down quick, less than 24 hrs, because the night before we found her, she was up with the others acting normally and eating.
    If anybody has some thoughts about this please let me know. Thanks for everyone's advice :(

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you said she was out eating in like a pasture area? if so I would be checking for poisonous plants. Some of those signs are of poisoning. Silent pneumonia takes them that fast but normal pneumonia does not. Silent pneumonia is just as it says "silent" you hardly notice that they are sick and then they are dead.

the name of SP is pasterella pneumonia and you can test for it on live animals by taking a swab of their nose. This would be a way to rule it out with your live does.

I am so sorry you lost her, that is so hard :hug:

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    :hug: I too am very sorry that you lost her. That is so hard.

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    To find her so far bad so fast- that is hard - the chances of rescueingher are so much more remote. I'm sorry and I hope that you can figure it out.

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    wow. i wish i would have come on last night. i've had two kids die from it. she had frothy bloat which started turning into overeaters. she was blocked up so long the bacteria in her stomach started going into her bloodstream and she went toxic. i lost oneof my best kids this year to that, because when my boyfriend fed he didn't notice the bloat. i'm so sorry for your loss

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: So sorry you lost your girl, wish I could have been more help to you :hug:

16. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I appreciate all the support and advice. Thank you!