The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My doe kidded yesterday It was a very difficult birth she is swollen and very sore yesterday I gave her an injection of banamine after which she was eating and seemed to be doing well. This morning she is not eating grinding her teeth and moaning I repeated the banamine injrection but I cant hear rumen noises and shes depressed what can I try to get her to eat should I syringe her some thing I'm giving her that nutrigoat vitamin supplyment what else can I do I'm so worried about my girl

·
2,203 Posts
My doe kidded yesterday It was a very difficult birth she is swollen and very sore yesterday I gave her an injection of banamine after which she was eating and seemed to be doing well. This morning she is not eating grinding her teeth and moaning I repeated the banamine injrection but I cant hear rumen noises and shes depressed what can I try to get her to eat should I syringe her some thing I'm giving her that nutrigoat vitamin supplyment what else can I do I'm so worried about my girl
Start her on probiotics and nutridrench. Have you considered milk fever? Did you try to offer grain? Warm molasses water?

·
1,384 Posts
I would also give her some Baking soda in addition to mjs suggestions. lots of probiotics.

milk fever is a good thought. Give her Calcium Gluconate sub-q according to the directions on the bottle. If it is milk fever she should respond pretty quickly. Repeat treatment two more times.

B-complex injections never hurt.

Take a temp on her?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vet is on the way to give steriod and b complex, temp is 101.4 vet thinks it's preg toxemia/ ketosis she ate very small amount of yogurt gave 5 or so pumps of nutridrench will give more later heading to cvs to get propylene glycol for toxemia

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
called cvs to check if they had proprylene glycol they said that is myralax is that right seems weird to me

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been offering gatorade but I'm going to get some molasses

·
2,203 Posts
Does she stink like super sweet? Has the vet been there yet or gathering supplies and heading that way?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to me she just smelled like the yogurt she was eating.

·
Registered
29,907 Posts
I would also give her C D Antitoxin and Thiamine along with the MiraLax...this will support her system until she is back up and going...DOseher with Nutra drench until your vet gets there..it has Propolyne Glycol in is...best wishes

·
Registered
29,907 Posts
I cant find a link between PG and MiraLax either...Im still looking..but it seems to be for constipation???

·
Registered
29,907 Posts
Imight go for Magic instead..I can not find a connection that both miralax and PG are the same thing...not that is isnt..I just cant find it...

Magic (1 part Molasses, 2 parts Kayro, 1 part Corn Oil)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Tractor supply has propylene glycol if you have one......

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Treat.for milk.fever (CMPK) and ketosis (propylene glycol). Pain rlief (banamine), supportive therapy (B complex, vitamin c, probiotics).

Also.consider the possibility of a retained kid, this always comes to.mind when they go downhill this soon after kidding.

One more thought also check her udder to rule out.mastitis.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Did she pass the placenta?

·
1,384 Posts
I would think with a low temp it would not be retained placenta or a kid, because I am pretty sure she would be running a really high temp.
Could be a worm load. ( wouldn't rule that out)
could be low calcium/milk fever
is she showing any signs of anemia?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Placenta passed yesterday, Vet checked and I checked no second kid. She doesn't look anemic to me or the vet, I just did a fecal on her about a month ago it was negative. I've started PG and I got the calcium glucanate but I don't have sterile water to dilute it yet. vet didn't think milk fever do to the fact she is up and moving around started her on 5 day course of penicillin. she is readily drinking the molasses and water. She seems a bit constipated or she doesn't want to poop cause she's sore. she is much more comfortable now and a bit brighter but still notr eating I've picked honey suckle and gum trees for her she thinks about it but nothing yet. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
29,907 Posts
Sounds like she is super wore out...I would keep up with the PG just in case...B complex really help boost thier appitite and energy..Probiotics for after Pen G treatment is done to restore her flora..Prep. H will help with rear swelling...keep a close watch on her to poop...hopefully she wont make you wait long lol...if she does not poop and enema might be needed..but Im sure once that molasses water kicks in she will poop..I might add a bit of Baking soda in her water as well...;)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts