Emergency (he's gone and the other one is going downhill)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Nov 30, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This is about a goat I sold months ago. He is a nice little weather. Healthy as could be when I sold him. Here is an email I got today:

"This am, we brought seamore inside in front of the fire. I gave him SQ fluids, and am feeding him a crit care herbivore diet. He was dehydrated, can't stand, vocalizing and temp was 90.5!!!!!
    Yesterday, he went down on his knees a couple times. But obviously very fast progression. He did seem fine last night then this am was terrible. He seemed to have pee on his back legs, and seemed to leak a little urine, so i still dont think its a urinary obstruction problem. I guess i will give him the oxytet too, since i have it, in case this is clostridium (?) but i just dont know what's wrong. Maybe he has an obstruction? At any rate, I unfortunatley think he may die today, and i dont know what else to do about it"

This is the email I got the other day:
    "You know how i said Seamore was fine? Well, today he seems depressed. crying when he lays down. Tips of his ears have some hair loss. Wants to hide in the goat house. Eating but less. Did see him pee a little and poop a little, so those seem to be working. Also wondering how big he should be by now. He doesn't seem to have grown much."

Any ideas?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: EMERGENCY

Well when I talked with her he had a seizure so I don't think he is going to make it.

3. Candy

Candy New Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I was racking my brain and all I could come up with is---B complex, probios, keep hydrated, get a GOOD goat Vet there in a hurry! Not much help, I know. Sorry.
    Candy :sun:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

oh wow...I am so sorry....Is he anemic ? worms? Lice?

cocci?

could his rumen of shut down.....give him probiotc paste and baking soda...

Is there any way.... they can get him to a vet ...
    they can do some testing on him...and might and might not,,, be able to save him.....
    He is getting to a critical point..... :worried:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

temp down could be an infection or he got into something he wasnt suppose to.

Is he still in doors? has his temp gone up? That is the important part. You want toget that temp up.

if he is still around tomorrow he should be wisked to the vet asap

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

He's gone.

She had the vet out and he passed before the vet got there. She is going to have a necropsy done.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

RunAround....I am so sorry for your loss....that is terrible news..... :tears:

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I feel terrible because I saw him born and everything. He was healthy and happy when he left. Might have had a bit of a flu that was going around from a show I went to. But everyone that had it got over it, and no one died from it. Plus she got him over 3 months ago. She also said that had cleared up.

Now I think she is trying to put the blame on me a bit.

:tears: :tears:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Don't blame yourself ...it is by no means your fault.......usually if a goat contracts
    a virus ...I believe it only takes.... 2 weeks for the goat to come down sick...after exposure...
    you are saying she got him over 3 months ago? She may be pointing her finger.... at the wrong one.... :shades:

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks Toth,

I am also very frustrated with her. I told her a bunch of things to do and try... fecal, urinalysis, b-complex, nutri-drench, ect. The only thing she did for him was give him sub-Q fluids.

She is a small animal vet so I am surprised at how long it took her to do something! :GAAH:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

your welcome ....wow...sounds like you suggested to her things that would of helped...but if she didn't listen to your ideas.....just using sub-Q fluids with the symptoms the goat had .....will not help alone........again ....she is pointing her finger..... at the wrong person...she needs to look in the mirror........... :shocked:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Emergency (he's gone)

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you will be able to find out what happened. My thoughts are with you

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks

Here is a picture of him when I had him:
    [​IMG]

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I know she may look like she is trying to blame you but she maybe just frustrated at the cercomstances.

It is in no way your fault. Whenever you sell an animal you sell it as is nomatter what, unless you guarentee show quality or something like that.

I wouldnt go back at her how it isnt your fault or how she didnt follow your advise. but say you are sorry for her loss and wish her the best. Dont go any further then that, dont do anything that could be construde as you feeling slightly at fault because could use that to open the door wider and make you feel even more guilty of something you had no control over.

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

No,
    I was nice to her and told her I was sorry for her loss.
    I did offer her another wether when kidding starts up again. She said she would see about it because the other goat I gave her has Pneumonia and she wants to see if she gets over it.

It's so weird that both her goats have come down sick at the same time.

I also just recommended some things that she should have around for next time.

She is going to let me know what the necropsy shows.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

RunAround...he was adorable and looked very....very healthy...awwww...

You were very generous ...with her....and I hope she listens to your advice on the other kid or she will loose that one as well,it's so sad......

I am glad.... :) she will let you know.....

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I am so sorry you had to go through this...you did what you knew to do, as far as feeling responsible though...it's only natural , any breeder wants what is best for their kids, he was healthy when he left so theres no need for you to feel guilty. :hug:

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

:hug: aww,i'm sorry your going through this. hopefully everything will work out good. he was very good looking. looked very healthy.

19. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.

Don't feel bad RunAround!!! You tried your best to help ! things sometimes happen like this and she did have him for quite a while. Keep your chin up-no one takes care of their goats the same way-He could have gotten sick over anything- I am also surprised with her being a vet that she didn't catch it sooner.It's not your fault at all- :grouphug:

20. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Aww I'm sorry that he passed :(

I was thinking though, do you think it could've been a deficiency of some sort?