The Goat Spot Forum banner

Emergency! I don't think she is going to last the night

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Grannygoose 
#1 ·
I have a Lamancha doe who is in milk though she has hardly been giving anything. When I got her she was sickly, since her previous owner was not feeding her properly and I think she was bred too young. This is her first year.
The BAD part; right now she is lying down and foaming at the mouth. Her nose is covered in snot and she moans constantly, every now and then she bellows and it sounds like pain. She is cold and I can't quite tell but I think her stomach is kinda swollen. A few mins ago she drank a little water that I brought her but she won't stand up. Can someone please help me??! When I talk to her she puts her head on my leg and makes little crying sounds, I don't know what to do.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't know what you may have on hand for this type of thing. Here these symptoms would be rodadendren poisoning. If I found one of mine in that condition I would:
Give a big dose of activated charcole
Give big dose of soda
Give C&D ANTI-TOXIN
Give a shot of Thiamin
Give a shot of Banamine
If the charcole and soda hadn't stopped the foaming in 15 or 20 minutes I would give Thera bloat and head for OSU.

Truthfully though, if I wasn't sure what I was doing I would Call more experienced goat people at the least and a veterinarian would be the very best here.

#7 ·
you Need to try and do everything that goathiker said. If you do not have activated charcoal - you can get the fish tank charcoal at wally world, crush it up, and give it to her. she HAS to get up and get things moving with the baking soda to get her going and moving that air out. If you don't have banamine - aspirin

You DON'T have much time to really get working on her - a vet is your best bet!

Hope you can get her through this.

#8 · (Edited)
Good advice here. If you have nothing else for the poisoning, vitamin C can detoxify most poisons. I also agree about the oil in case of bloat! I am praying for her.

#11 · (Edited)
DO EVERYTHING GOAT HIKER SAID!!! NOW!!! This is YOUR ONLY HOPE!!! and sometimes this isnt enough... YOUVE GOT TO GET HER UP NOW and massage, massage, massage, try to make her run if you can..shes gotta get moving!!!
I lost my girl not long ago to a very similar situation...YOU WONT FIND ANY BETTER ADVISE THAN GOAT HIKER HAS OFFERED!!! GOAT HIKER IS SPOT ON!!
Forget the vet, most of them dont have a clue...or they will tube her, and hope for the best! In my honest opinion youve gotta better chance of saving her yourself..
PRAYERS SENT!!! Man.....This really hits home!!! Ughhhh!!
I REALLY HOPE you have a good emergency kit with the meds needed!
I hope and pray she pulls through this....

#12 ·
I was too late, it was so fast. Yesterday she was fine, this morning she looked off but I didn't worry, I wish I had. Then I checked on them last night and i found her like that...I feel horrible. She was so sweet, her name was Mercedes. Thank you so much for being there for us, I'll know what to do now. If any more of my girls act up like that. Thank you for the advice.

#13 ·
I am sorry. :( I've heard that frothy bloat can happen very fast, and there isn't much you can do to stop it. :hug:

#21 · (Edited)
Very sorry for your loss....Frothy Bloat is a MONSTER!!!! Im sure you will learn from this as i did when i had a horrible experience dealing with Frothy Bloat in my favorite doe Bella. Regardless of what you do ...MOST OF THE TIME you CANT STOP IT!! Take a look at my post from a few months ago when i lost my favorite doe to frothy bloat! Read EVERYTHING i did to attempt to save her life. Even the vet couldnt save my girl...I hope and pray that i NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT AGAIN!!! In my girls case it was some fruit limbs that i had cutt and thrown in the pen.They wouldve been fine if she had injested the leaves with the limbs still attached to the tree....but after being cutt , the wilting process began and this created a toxin that causes Frothy Bloat...Rack your brain and figure out what she did different that day and learn from it!
PRAYERS SENT.....

#22 ·
I am so sorry for you :(. It sucks when you do your best and it does not come out the way it should. I send you hugs. I have to pat you on the back for your attatude. The first 2 that I lost I basically just cryed and cryed, but you are so very right, learn what you can from what happened, I know it does not help with being sad but does help you be a little stronger. I have never had to deal with frothy bloat but I have now wrote down what sunnypaws said just in case. Again I am sorry for your loss.

#24 ·
I am so sorry for your loss. Definitely tearing up since I know how awful frothy bloat can be. I recently lost a very precious girl to frothy bloat. I even had to her an emergency vet in the dead of night and I still lost her. So it is absolutely a monster.

My vet recommended to have on hand now a tube, so as to insert it into a goat's rumen through their mouth. As a last ditch effort, I can relieve some of the pressure. With frothy bloat, it cannot relieve as much as with free gas bloat, since all the gas is whipped up with food matter. As soon as the tube is inserted, it can cause a huge gush of digestive contents to rush through the tube. It won't clean out their rumen totally unless a vet pumps out their rumen, but it can buy you some time.

The length of tube needs to reach from the goat's nose to the last rib, you mark this distance, so when you insert it, you know not to go farther than that mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.