Emergency! I don't think she is going to last the night

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by zimboleigh, Oct 9, 2012.

1. zimboleigh

zimboleigh New Member

May 18, 2012
    I have a Lamancha doe who is in milk though she has hardly been giving anything. When I got her she was sickly, since her previous owner was not feeding her properly and I think she was bred too young. This is her first year.
    The BAD part; right now she is lying down and foaming at the mouth. Her nose is covered in snot and she moans constantly, every now and then she bellows and it sounds like pain. She is cold and I can't quite tell but I think her stomach is kinda swollen. A few mins ago she drank a little water that I brought her but she won't stand up. Can someone please help me??! When I talk to her she puts her head on my leg and makes little crying sounds, I don't know what to do.

2. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Vet! This sounds like frothy bloat. Is her stomach hard and bubbling? If so, you need to drench her with vegetable oil.

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Oh dear, I have no idea but I hope that someone speaks up. Can you get a vet out??

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know what you may have on hand for this type of thing. Here these symptoms would be rodadendren poisoning. If I found one of mine in that condition I would:
    Give a big dose of activated charcole
    Give big dose of soda
    Give C&D ANTI-TOXIN
    Give a shot of Thiamin
    Give a shot of Banamine
    If the charcole and soda hadn't stopped the foaming in 15 or 20 minutes I would give Thera bloat and head for OSU.

Truthfully though, if I wasn't sure what I was doing I would Call more experienced goat people at the least and a veterinarian would be the very best here.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  5. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    Keep up with Baking soda balls. Keep rubbing her stomach and making her belch. Banamine, banamine, banamine!! GET A VET! Let us know.....

6. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Putting her front part up on a few flakes of straw so that she's tilted up a little can help work out the gas. Don't let her lay flat on her side, keep her propped upright.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    you Need to try and do everything that goathiker said. If you do not have activated charcoal - you can get the fish tank charcoal at wally world, crush it up, and give it to her. she HAS to get up and get things moving with the baking soda to get her going and moving that air out. If you don't have banamine - aspirin

You DON'T have much time to really get working on her - a vet is your best bet!

Hope you can get her through this.

8. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Good advice here. If you have nothing else for the poisoning, vitamin C can detoxify most poisons. I also agree about the oil in case of bloat! I am praying for her.

9. Micgrace

Micgrace New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    South, MS
    New here and to goats so I cant give advice but I am praying! I hope you find a Vet quick

10. HaleyD

HaleyD Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Central Texas
    I agree with everything said above, but I wanted to add that of you can't get her to a vet tonight you can always call and emergency vet for advice on what you can do at home to get her through the night

11. fd123

fd123 Senior Member

May 29, 2012
    macon, Ga.
    DO EVERYTHING GOAT HIKER SAID!!! NOW!!! This is YOUR ONLY HOPE!!! and sometimes this isnt enough... YOUVE GOT TO GET HER UP NOW and massage, massage, massage, try to make her run if you can..shes gotta get moving!!!
    I lost my girl not long ago to a very similar situation...YOU WONT FIND ANY BETTER ADVISE THAN GOAT HIKER HAS OFFERED!!! GOAT HIKER IS SPOT ON!!
    Forget the vet, most of them dont have a clue...or they will tube her, and hope for the best! In my honest opinion youve gotta better chance of saving her yourself..
    PRAYERS SENT!!! Man.....This really hits home!!! Ughhhh!!
    I REALLY HOPE you have a good emergency kit with the meds needed!
    I hope and pray she pulls through this....

12. zimboleigh

zimboleigh New Member

May 18, 2012
    I was too late, it was so fast. Yesterday she was fine, this morning she looked off but I didn't worry, I wish I had. Then I checked on them last night and i found her like that...I feel horrible. She was so sweet, her name was Mercedes. Thank you so much for being there for us, I'll know what to do now. If any more of my girls act up like that. Thank you for the advice.

13. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

I am sorry. :( I've heard that frothy bloat can happen very fast, and there isn't much you can do to stop it. :hug:

14. HaleyD

HaleyD Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Central Texas
    So sorry for your loss :( unfortunately frothy bloat is fast and its hard for them to pull through it

15. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    What a heartbreaking loss ... my heart goes out to you. We all know too well how hard it is to lose a precious member of the herd.

16. zimboleigh

zimboleigh New Member

May 18, 2012
    It's strange, going through the milking routine and skipping her place. All my other girls look great, I don't understand what happend. How could she have gotten poisoned? With what?
    Thank you again for helping me, I appriciate you all.

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bloat can happen from anything, it does not have to be a poisoning that causes it.

I am so sorry you lost her :hug:

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. I'm very sorry for your loss! I worry about that, my dog I grew up with died of it (I'd moved out dad didn't catch it quick enough), lost a horse to (colic-bloat). Take comfort it sounds like you did everything you could, again sorry for your loss I know it's hard.

20. Micgrace

Micgrace New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    South, MS
    So sorry for your lost!