Emergency kid just born -pictures

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Cinder, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My doe who was due in two to three weeks (haha) had a doeling this morning. I found the baby with mama when I went out to milk, baby was damp and shivering so I brought her in the house, dipped her umbilical cord, dried her off and warmed her up so he wasn't shivering. She even got up and walked around, I took her back to the barn to mama and stayed with her for an hour, the baby would not get up to nurse and started shivering more and more, her mouth was very cold inside so I decided to bring her back into the house. I do not know if she nursed earlier, I am sitting in front of a propane fireplace with a heat blanket wrapped around her and she's only shivering once in awhile now but she's not active.
    Question: how should I continue with her?
    Should I bring the mama inside the house to see if I can get her to nurse.
    Help

2. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Re: Emergency kid just born

Have you been able to take her temp? Definitely need to get something into her once she is warm, might try letting mom nurse her again or milk her out a little and feed it to her. If she is still cold (inside of her mouth is cold) you can give her coffee/whiskey (or whatever you have on hand)/molasses. I use pancake syrup as that is what I usually have on hand, I mix about 2cc of each and then give the kid about 2 cc to start with and see if that warms them up and gives them energy.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yes take her temp

milk mom and get some colostrum. Syringe feed her the colostrum

or you can just do the coffee karo mixture mentioned. (you are basically just giving her a sugar boost).

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

It is more important to give her the colostrum a.s.a.p. than to take her out to her mother. If I were you I would do as Stacey says and milk some colostrum from the mother and syringe feed it to the baby. The coffee/alcohol/sugar thing works well too.

If she gets TOO cold... a remedy I did with a lamb and it WORKED - was to fill a tub with really warm water and put the baby in it. I kept the baby in it with just the head above the surface until it started moving around and being warm again - you have to be careful then that the outside temperature is warm too, and that you dry the baby off quickly. It saved the life of one of my lambs that was so hypothermic that even his limbs were stiff.

LW

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with stacey to.... :thumbup:

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008

Ok, I just got back in and read your replies. Let me update you on what I did and you all can tell me how to proceed. I got her warmed up inside for about an hour. She was starting to bleat and wanted to move around so I let her down on the floor and she wobbled around. She kept trying to find something to nurse on, at that point the inside of her mouth was warm and she was warm (I didn't take her temp... duh). I decided to take her back to momma, I put a people kids sweatshirt on her to help her stay somewhat warmer. Her momma is very attentive to her, keeps licking her all over (making her wet again!). The doeling tried to nurse, she had everything right but just couldn't seem to get the teat into her mouth... it was like the teat was too big. She'd get it in sideways and kept trying (momma just stood there very patiently). I watched the entire time but can't say for absolute that she ever actually nursed. She finally wobbled away and climbed into the feeder that has hay in it (it's a plastic milk crate) and went to sleep.

Talk about pacing and being so unsure of what to do. I know that bringing her into the house and then taking back outside every little while isn't good for her as the temps outside are in the low 40's today. But she has started to shiver again. I left her to come in and type this.

I did check momma and she has colostrum readily available. I just don't know if the kid got any even after trying so hard.

What should I do at this point?

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Cinder, How isthe little one doing? Have you been able to get the baby warm. What we did when this happened to Vlaentine. Milk out mom a bit and get the baby warm. (Do not bfeed the baby any milk until it is warm), then we used a syringe to give the baby some Colostrum. The baby needs that as soon as it is warm. Once you do that and the baby has some food, it will help to keep the baby warm.

Were you able to do the sweatshirt thing we talked about? If I was home I would run you a heat lamp but I am at work today. Yesterday I left and went home so of cource she didn;t go then.

How big is the baby? Does it look to me a premee? Did you find out if you have a buck or a doe?

I guess you will not need my cmaera set up now after all will you? lol

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Cinder, Go out with that baby. Get down on your hands and knees and make sure that baby nurses. I even sometimes have to put the teat in the mouth for the baby. They will getthe hand of it in to time. yes they al lseem to put the teat in the side of their moth butthey will be fine. If you get the baby to tthe teat, ticketl the tail head of the baby (right were the hail is attached to the goats butt), if you tickel that are that is the sucking reflex. If you notice mom's will lick the baby there while it is nursing.
    Do you have lots of straw fo rthe babye and mom to bed down in? That also keeps them warm.

I could tell you how to get to my house to get a heat lamop but i do believe it would be faster for you to go to Big R in Elizabeth.

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

It may not be able to work out how to get the milk from the momma just now - some babies are stupider than others :wink:

If I were you I'd milk the mother out some and syringe feed it some colostrum. It NEEDS colostrum in the first 24 hours to survive - preferably in the first hour!

LW

10. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008

Lori - I have a heat lamp - just not a safe way to attach it until tonight when my hubby gets home. Get this... he almost finished the kidding stall last night! His plan was to finish it tonight after work and tonight would have been her first night in it since she isn't due for 2 to 3 more weeks! Obviously someone failed to inform momma goat that she isn't due yet. :) (Trying to keep a sense of humor here...)

I'm going to run out and if she's still shivering I'm going to bring her back into the house and then milk momma and syringe feed her.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Cinder, I am sorry but you crack me up. :ROFL: I think you are as excited as a new Grandmother.

Congratulations on the new baby by the way. I did not tell you that when you called.

I am sure mom and the baby will be fine. Remember I had babies born in 14 degree weather and they are all just fine.

Also sometimes it is better to go when you least expect it other wise you :hair: pull your hair out waiting. I have one that I new when she was bred and she was the only one I new for sure and she is driving me totally crazy. I was even sick yesterday worreid about her that i left work sick. Of course nothing happened but I am sure it wil ltoday beings I will nto be home until later.

Call me again if you need.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Cinder, how are you and the baby doing?

13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008

Lori - First, thank you, thank you for your calm, cool and collected voice on the other end of the phone this morning. I've been as tense as I've ever been in my life this morning. I'm feeling much better and calmer but I still realize that the next 48 hours are especially critical for her.

When I went out after my last post the baby had moved from the feeder to a patch of sunlight. She was still shivering a little. I milked mom (who most certainly wasn't happy about that - I had her on the milk stand last week for the first time... I thought I had another month to be teaching her about getting milk... silly me!) with the help of my daughter. I fed the baby just under 2 ccs. She actually fought me which I took to be a good sign. I covered her with a blanket (she still has the sweatshirt on) and came back in the house. About 20 minutes ago my daughter went out to check on her and she was NURSING!!! :cool:

I am cautiously optimistic at this point, I know how quickly kids can go downhill. I can't wait for my DH to get home from work to finish the kidding stall (wouldn't want a doe to kid before that was done, ya know? :ROFL: ). I then can put up a heat lamp for tonight and they will have no drafts.

So, anyone wanna talk tonight at 1:00 a.m, 2:00 a.m., 3:00 a.m. - you get the point. How do you all sleep after a new baby?
    :GAAH:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

You are just so cute. :ROFL: You know she will be fine now. Once you got her dry and she nursed she will be fine. Just relax.

Just check on her tonight before you go to bed and then she will be therein the morning. Did you give her some Nutra Drench? I give it to all my babies when they are born. How about some molasses wate fo mom? Were you able to ge t more molasses before today?

Cinder, you have to be happy that you really had a wonderful suprise. Glad it all came out well.

OK now do you have a picture of this little baby? You knwo we all want to see it.

15. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008

Deep breath out.... We are checking on her every half hour and are alternating the warm socks with rice in them (that Lori suggested to me on the phone this morning). I did give mom warm molasses water this morning, I got that molasses yesterday. On my checklist for today was to go into town - get fresh straw (I had a partial bale left) and nutri drench (I mean - I have 2 or 3 weeks before I need it right? :hair: ).

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Momma licking her baby who she adores...
    [​IMG]

edited to take off duplicate picture

16. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Aww she is adorable.

However, 2cc is less than a teaspoon, Cinder - she has to eat a lot more than that before she can be said to have "fed"

LW

17. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008

Since she appears to be nursing at this point, should I give her more from the syringe or let her be?

18. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

If she's nursing, she should be fine. When you go out to check her, put your finger in her mouth. If it's staying warm, she's fed and happy :greengrin:

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

No if she is nursing she is fine. Leave her be. She is just adorable. Congratulations. She looks quite snug in her jammies. :clap:
    I would not take her inside and back out that much. That will cause her to be more chilled. Let her learn to maintain her own body temp.

Like I said in the othe rpost. I will call you when I am close r to home if you need anything. I will meet you with the Nutra Drench. Really I am sure she is fine now without it. But I will be happy to meet you somewhere. Also think of anything else you might need that I have.

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Wow, Cinder she is a cutie, and I love those ears! Glad to see you had the awesome help in earlier posts and I hope she is doing better