Emergency, Kids with the runs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 4kids, Mar 9, 2010.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I have two kids with bad diharrea. I have no idea why? Nothing has changed- not feed, pen anything... What should I do? Should I treat for cocci? I need some suggestions. One of these kids is Athena (7 weeks old and the other is Ace (2 weeks old). Ace still nurses on Jazz but Athena is a bottle baby.

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Re: EMERGENCY

Wow it seems early in the year for cocci- but that would be my best guess since nothing else has changed

Di-Methox liquid full strength at 5 cc's per day for 5 days is what I do

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I would do the same, start the full strength Di Methox and to get the diarrhea under comtrol, I would also give them some Pepto Bismol... 6cc up to 4-5 times a day.

4. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009

Can I get this at tractor supply? Blue Seal? And also I am assuming that this is an oral dosage? I did give both probios mixed with a tbsp of plain yogurt and mixed some in Athena's bottle also. She is eating hay but no grain today. Ace just nibbles hay (which is normal). Hers was much worse than his!

5. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009

also- should everyone be treated for cocci? They are all together. Should I start a preventative on the others?

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009

Okau- no one has it except powder labeled for cattle. Can I use this and what would be the dosage?

7. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009

Blue Seal has Corrid but not DiMethox. Does that work????

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Corrid will work, but not as good. The dimethox is also an antibiotic and if they have really bad runs then they probably need the antibiotic at this point to.

Can you find Sulmet? It comes in a white bottle and it says it is used for chickens and turkeys drinking water. But you just dose it 1cc per 5lbs the first day and 1cc per 10 lbs for 5 more days.

Or have your vet give you SMZ tablets.

9. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Still owe vet $ so he is less than helpful at this point. I will call around and ask for sulmet. I haven't seen anymore loose stools since this am so I am hoping things are tapering off just worried what is the cause. What is the amount for Corrid? Can I use the dimthox powder for cattle but at a smaller dosage?

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The Di Methox powder, if it is the 107 gram packet, it can be mixed for dosing kids. A 1/2 package of powder mixed with 1 1/2 cups of water will make enough solution to treat kids...1cc per 5# on day 1, then 1cc per 10 lbs on days 2-5.

http://www.littlewishesfarm.com/cocci.htm

This is where I got the directions I have used.

11. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    vet says cocci- treatment was 3cc of corrid concentrate with pint of water per 10 lbs. For 5 days. Neither kid is eating. Super upset! It has been a junky goat time in the last few months!

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't have any experience with Corrid but I remember reading somewhere that it should not be diluted. I hope someone can help out more. Cocci is a pain to deal with!

13. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I don't know what to say- I can only listen to the vet. I have no experience with this and am really worried about losing these two kids (or all my goats).

14. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I gave 1 cc of pepto to Ace. He is about 9 lbs. at 2 pm. It is now three can I give a little more? I really need the runs to stop.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can give him 3-4 more ccs of pepto

liquid corid is 1cc per 4lbs given orally for 5 days (do not dilute)

dont expect change till like day 3 -- it takes time for their system to get back to normal. YOu can give them electrolytes and Nutri Drench also at this time.

Take their temps -- you can give banamine to bring down any fever which maybe developing (this happens with coccidia infestation)

16. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    vet won't give banamine. Will go take temp now. Thanks Stacey. I gave another cc at 3:30. Can I give another cc at 4:30? His temp is 104.5 and Athena's is 104.

17. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Should clarify- of pepto. Athena runs have stopped but not Ace. He is smaller and younger. She is eating hay and grain although not much of the bottle (which is unlike her)

18. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have given baby aspirin to kids for fever, vet had me give 1 baby aspirin 3x's a day.....Ashley had a post on dosing for aspirin, don't remember if it was for kids or adults.

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    give each kid an adult aspirin since they have fevers.

dont expect them to be bouncing right back -- it takes time when they are sick. Just think how your kids feel when they get the flu. YOu know it will be a couple days before they are back to their normal selves.

20. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I have 325mg asprin . Do I disolve 1 per goat. I thought regular temp was a range 0f 101.5-104?