The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 7-8 year old doe alpine goat who has meningeal worm. Her neurological symptoms (falling constantly, unbalanced, stiff back legs) have rapidly increased. She also has a large wound on her shoulder from itching it. She is being treated with a vitamin b complex shot, gabapentin, steroids, and Fenbendazole. She is eating very well and eats sweet feed, 2nd cut hay, and fruits/veggies every day. She is living with her sibling (7 year old Nigerian doe) who is not affected by the worm. We are treating her wound but she keeps reopening it. I desperately need help on what to do. We are on the verge of putting her down. She can’t barely walk 3 feet without falling. She isn’t in pain, but we are worried about her quality of life. Is there anything I can do? A change in diet, medication, splint/support boots? Or is there no other choice then to put her down? Please reply soon!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
I’m more inclined to think that it’s tetanus and not M Worm due to the stiff legs and the fact that she has an open wound.

Please give a tetanus Anti-toxin ASAP just in case. Is there any lockjaw or ear stiffness (pointed upwards).

Usually M Worm is not stiff back legs but more floppy weak back legs that spread out to the sides and cause a goat to lay on their stomachs with legs out behind them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I will also try that. When she falls her legs do also spread out behind her, but she still mostly has stiff back legs that cross when she walks. She doesn’t have any lockjaw or ear stiffness. I will try to get a video of her waking/falling.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
is the steroid oral or injected?

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She has been on Fenbenzadole around a week, and gets 3 pills once every day. Her steroid is injectable. She is reopening the wound by biting/scratching it, and using her back leg to itch it. We put a donut/cone on her so she can’t bite it. She has been reopening it since late November, which is super concerning for me. I clean it, spray antibiotic/antiseptic spray, pain/itch spray, and then cover it with Alusheild (liquid bandage)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bad guys! I meant the Gabopentin was the 3 pills. The Fenbendazole is liquid, and she is getting 5x the dosage. Here’s a picture of the bottle.

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
What strength are the pills? Did she get the ivermectin injection recommended to begin the treatment?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We rescued her from a neglect situation, so I’m not exactly sure when the legs started as they were a bit weak but have progressed to full stiffness and crossing over each other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The leg weakness has been present for around a month now (since January) and has progressed. I haven’t given her Selinium. I’m getting videos as soon as I can tommorow.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
You may be way under doing the fenbendazole for starters.
But I do not know anything about the pill form.

For liquid and paste form, it is 23cc's per 100 lbs for 5 days 1 x a day. Banamine or dex for any swelling for a few days.

However, you say it has been going on for sometime?
With meningeal worm, it starts out with weakness in the rear legs.
Did she show that symptom before she went down?

How long has she not been able to get up? If she has been down to long, she may never be able to get up again.
A sling would of helped her.
In it for a coupe of hours at a time, on and off supervised, massage and normal leg movement exercises.

I really recommend a good goat vet to see her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Fenbendazole is liquid, sorry I was exhausted and put the dose for the Gabopentin instead. She is able to get up when she falls and seems to be walking better today. The steroids are really helping. She is getting 5x the dose for the Fenbendazole as suggested by our vet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. Today I found Billie laying on her side, unable to stand, and groaning in pain. We are now waiting for the vet to arrive. She won’t make it overnight, so thank you all for helping her enjoy her last few days here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts