EMERGENCY.....need some help! ***update***:(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Dec 8, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok.....went out and my 2 yr wether was down this morning, he was fine last night at 10pm......his temp is 100.5, it was 11 degrees here overnight.....he is hunched up, not pooping or peeing, saw him do both yesterday, his stomach doesn't feel bloated, but he looks puffy and not a lot of sounds coming from his stomach, called vet...a lot of good they are! I have given him MOM, nutri-drench, ammonium chloride (sp?)......his membrane color is great......he has bleched since bringing him to house......but he also had a bunch of cud come up after giving him the AC. He isn't crying out in pain, but clearly looks like he hurts.......please help with advice!
    I need to give probios, but have not gotten there yet.

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Re: EMERGENCY.....need some help!

Hmmmm...poor guy. Will he eat or drink anything? I am not sure what the cause of this is but it sounds like you've got all your bases covered. I would just keep a close watch over him...offer some hay and warm water...check the consistency of his poo (will probably change due to the MOM)...make sure you see him pee. That's all I can think of at the moment.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

when my goats temps go down my first reaction is supportive therapy - probios, nutri drench, electrolytes (syringe feed all).

keep taking his temp to see if it improves. So like every half hour check his temp.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree with Stacey....

make sure he stays warm..... If he doesn't improve soon...I would have a vet take a look..... :hug:

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

ok.....we took him into the vet, he thinks he may have/had a blockage.......so he tubed him, gave him an enema and a shot of something to clean him out and banamine....not a lot of sounds coming fromhis gut, vet said he hopes with all we did it will get things moving...on the way home he passed some really wierd slimmy long stuff.......I gave him probios when we got him home and have a goat coat on him......no he is not eating or drinking, but he had so much done to him......so I am cleaning up my jeep and mudroom from having him in the house and car and then I will go out and try drenching him with liquids.......when I put him back in his pen with his coat on he just layed down.......I am just stumped. Vet says we have done every thing we can, now we just wait and see. Ok, got to get my floors mopped so I can get back out there to him.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Glad you took him to the vet..... I am praying for him... :hug: :pray:

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Ok...hubby just went and checked on him and says he is still just laying, but with his brother now.....I am getting ready to go out and try to drench him with some liquids......poor boy has had it from both ends today.

Oh, and to clarify.....at home his temp was low, but normal at the vets.....so maybe my NEW thermo is defective.

I sure pray for Murphy to pull through, he is my glued to me baby and I just love him.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Be sure to get a new thermometer.... :hug:

Do you or can you ...get ahold of regular type eucalyptus leaves? I find if a goat isn't eating normal food they most of the time ...will eat eucalyptus leaves....take a small branch and hold it there and see if he will eat it..... if he does ...then it will... at least be ....something in his gut..... My goats love it...when they are ...under the weather or even healthy.... :wink:

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Murphy is not doing well at all......he was shaking really bead and temp is 100.0 now....we brught him in the house and are trying to warm him up....any ideas?

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Take a mix of Strong Black Coffee, Whiskey, and Karo Syrup.

mix equal parts togeter. Mix well and give him some of that. now I do not knwo if I missed how old he was or how big, but if he is a baby I would go with 2-4 cc of the mix, then follow that up agin in 30 minutes. If he is a big goat, I would go with 7 cc, then again in 30 minutes. See if he will eat some warm oatmeal, with some molasses on it. Do you have a heat lamp to put on him?

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Oh no.... :(

I agree with Lori...do that ....it should help.... I am praying.... :pray: :hug:

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

We have him in our warm laundry room, I do not have any whiskey, but I gave him coffee with some molasses mixed in......I made him some oatmeal, but he wants nothing to do with it.....I just gave him some B-complex......he quit shaking since bringing him inside, but he has very little sounds coming from his gut and he has not peed or pooped since we got home from vet.....now vet did clean him well and he has not eaten........I just don't know what else to do.......I am so very sad. The vet said nothing about antibitoics.......but could he have silnt pneumonia? He is breathing funny, but that started after they tubed him at the vets.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I hope the vet ...didn't get careless and get fluid in his lungs..... when he tubed him.... :(

If he hasn't eaten or drank any fluids then he won't pee or poo....

Try feeding the eucalyptus leaves... or leaves of a tree that is safe for a goat to eat.... the gut needs food in it to function properly.... :hug:

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Pam, we are in Northern Indiana with several inches of snow on ground....there are no leaves. I really think his rumen is shutting down.......I am going to try and get him to eat something! I asked the vet about how he knew he wasn't getting it into his lungs, he said tha is why he started with a small amout of water before starting the oil.....I didn't really understand.

Thank you all for the ideas and help :(

15. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine

Denise, if you can't get him to eat/take anything try Gatorade (not sure what you use for electrolytes). When mine are not eating they will drink Gatorade willingly on their own. In your situation though, so he doesn't gulp it, only offer a small amount at a time at first.

:pray: For your fella and you.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Do you have Alfalfa....? Take some of the leaves off the steams.... grind them up... in a blender... as fine as you can....put enough water in it... so it will go through a big syringe...... get a really big syringe ....the kind... with the really big type hole on the end .... http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... Q8wIwAA#so the Alfalfa and water mixer will go through .... Plunge it into the syringe.......now....at the back corner ...of the mouth..... really slowly....I mean real slowly and with many breaks... in between....so he is able to swallow it..... make sure... the food comes out easy... and not clump up.... at the end... where it comes out...... so it doesn't... all of a sudden break loose and flood his lungs....

I actually did this.... with a Doe..... I couldn't get her to eat... no matter ...what I gave to her...even Banamine...and the vet... is the one... that was coaching me....she went that way for a week...until... I thought of this method and it worked for her.... I am hoping ...it will work for your goat..... It took a couple of days... if I remember right.... then she started eating on her own....it wasn't alot at first but she was eating.....I gave her free choice Alfalfa and water...at all times and took note.... on how much.... I fed her and how much was gone........

giving a big dose of vit B complex is good to give.... to help boost appetite...you can do this daily for a while....to encourage him...

I hope it isn't to late but it may be worth a try? :hug: :pray:

Kinda is confusing about the vet... :hug:

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Just talked to vet and he said also start antibiotics, he wants me to give him penn and LA200 at the same time? Murphy is breathing funny, but vet said his lungs were clear today.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

At the same time ....Oh...I don't know.... if that is a good idea....... :(

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I think they would be fine to do together,(they will fight different things), but if you do that you HAVE to give a probiotic. Are you doing that anyway? If you do not have any get some yogurt in him.

20. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

I agree with Lori.... definitely keep the probiotics going if you are giving both antibiotics.
    Thanks for the tip on feeding a goat that won't eat Pam.... I think that recipe's a good one for the books. You might want to give that a try Denise.