Emergency - Open wound

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kornhypknotic, Jul 14, 2009.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Please help!

This wound was created about an hour ago in the 2.5 month old wether that I posted about earlier in the thread "Big cut on little kid" in this same forum.

The farm can't afford to take a wether to the vet if he's just going to die the next day. I would be willing to pay the vet bills if he can survive this type of injury. Does it look like he has a chance? :tears:

Edit: the skin wound is black looking because it has been sprayed with woundkote

Attached Files:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow that is a big wound.
    if it were me i'd take him to a vet to get him stitched up.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I highly recommend ...you take him to the vet . :worried: ..he will have to be sewn up and the vet will have to put in drain tubes..... :hug: :pray:

Also be sure he gets a tetnus shot and antibiotics...

Yes there is a very good chance that he will be OK ...just make sure it remains clean
    and keep the flies off of it....

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    He will be fine with a couple stitches.

It is horrible of someone not wanting to treat him.

5. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    It's not that they don't want to treat him . . . they don't have the money for a visit to the vet, anesthetic, stitches, medications, supplies, and a 2 week checkup. The farm is a non-profit organization and extremely strapped for funds (especially during these hard economic times). If money and labor were in surplus they would not hesitate to treat him. That is, unfortunately, not the case.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I sympathize with you all......is there any way.. that they can set up a payment plan with the vet?
    that wound definitely needs attention... and it will have a hard time healing without it.... :hug:

7. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    We have a vet tech college (where I'm actually going to be attending classes this fall :) ) about 10 minutes away and they sometimes help us out with vet stuff that we can't afford. We finally got a hold of them and the person who is doing my job while I'm gone (I'm on vacation in Canada right now) is taking him in as I type this. :pray:

Hopefully they can take care of him and hopefully it will be affordable for the farm. :tears:

Do you think it will be a serious problem that he has no skin on that one side (the black/purple-ish side). How can they sew him up when his skin is gone from there? :worried:

Our vet is really good about giving us advice over the phone. We rarely ever take our goats to see him because he lets us call him with most of our illness issues. The vet tech school is extremely helpful in cases like this . . . especially when we can't afford to take goats anywhere else.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how did this happen? I would be making sure it cant happen again.

So how is his other injury?

9. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    To me the other injury (which can be seen in the first picture - the purple/black parts) looks ok . . . sort of hard to tell, but it doesn't look serious . . . there's just no skin in that area anymore.

How did it happen? I don't have a clue. I wish I were there . . . I would go through the entire field on my hands and knees. The person in charge of livestock while I'm gone has scoured the pasture looking for the culprit and could find nothing. Another young doe - Daisy - has come up with the same minor injury Nugent presented with last week, so we know whatever got them is still out there. They have both been isolated and not allowed to go out in that pasture again. Today, she says, that all the kids decided to squeeze through the gate and go out to pasture a little early - including Nugent . . . she thinks that his old wound got caught on the gate as he continued to squeeze through . . . tearing his flesh even more. I think that sounds like a reasonable guess . . . :shrug:

What does it look like to y'all?

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that sounds like a plausible guess

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    ...It is extremely important to get the deeper tissue sewn together and closed ......by rights ...they will have to place a drain tube in there....

If the outer cannot be sewn.... then it will be treated as a open wound...they will see what they can work with......it may surprise you... what they can do...... :hug: Keep us updated..

12. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Thank God! :clap: I just got an email from Sue at the vet tech school after she helped patch Nugent up! Here's what she said:

WOOOT!!!! :stars: Sounds like he's going to be just fine :cool:

It always makes me sad that we go through all this work to keep wethers alive and happy . . . just so we can butcher them at about 14 months. :cry: At least he can live as full a life as was originally planned for him rather than us needing to put him down today. :)

Thanks so much for all your help everyone!!! :grouphug:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your so welcome.... :grouphug:

The vet did... just like I mentioned above...LOL :D

So happy... he will be OK ...and they could suture it.... :wink: