The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! I have an almost 5 month old buckling who is very sick. he has been having scours on and off for about 3 months now. (ever since he was weaned pretty much) I treated for coccidia, i treated for worms with ivomec plus, and i've had fecals done and nothing shows up. I have done spectoguard, dimethox, i have done the cd anti toxin, a few times. i've given BoSe, BovaSera or whatever it is, penicillin, oxytetracycline, i've done almost everything there is to do but he just isn't getting better. He starts to get better then a few days later he gets worse again. He is at the point now where he can barely stand up. he is not even 15 lbs and he hasn't grown since he has been weaned. he is bones only. i've been doing electrolites and probios in a bottle and even put him back on milk a tiny bit. this morning he was shaking and hunched, i took his temp, 101.9, i gave b complex and bottle of milk, he drank 1/2 an ounce, he ate a couple leaves but nothing more. an hour later he was on the ground crying. we put him under a light now to keep him warm. but he is just laying on the ground and not moving much at all. i gave antitoxin 5ml subq and have been shoving the electrolites and water down. he has perked up a TINY bit since the antitoxin, but i dont think he will make it through the night acting like this! PLEASE help! WHAT can i do? I have called the vet but they wont come out on emergency hours because i am not an established client. and the vet would not even answer today. :(:(:(

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
**Good call giving cd antitoxin..keep that up every 6 hours.
**I would treat him with neomycin..which is a safe oral antibiotic to treat bacterial diarriah, I belive its 1 1/2 cc twice a day for three-5 days..
**treat with probiotics 3-4 hours after each dose of Neomycin ...also add pepto to his twice daily to sooth his tummy and dry his bum.
**I would also be giving him Thiamine or Fortified B complex..

Check his lower inner eye lids for color...they should be deep pink to red..here is link to show a chart to go by
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UjUV8GSDTL8

I wouldnt give any more antibiotics, other than the neomycin right now if he doesnt have fever...his body s pretty taxed right now...

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
also offer him green leaves...all he is willing to eat...no feed no milk..hay, alfalfa and leaves only right now...here is a good electrolyte recipe he might drink onhis own..if not keep drenching him..keeping him hydrated is very important...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what ever molasses you have on hand or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont think he is going to make it through the night, i have tried the red cell before but his lids really are not pale. i also tried the la200. i dont have any of the neomycin, he wont eat anything and he wont drink anything. he is just laying there . i have also been giving him the b complex and thiamine...i just dont know what else to do. i think its the end and im so upset :( :( i feel helpless for the poor little guy

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
He may have some genetic problem...you have given him every treatment and more...
for tonight, prop him up so he cant lay flat...dose him another cd antitoxin and b complex..and probios...give a p bit of pepto and sy a little prayer... if he makes it til morning..get some neomycin ..Im really sorry, I know how desperate you must feel...you are doing great with him..doing all you can..and that is all we can do..

Best wishes..and hugs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts