Emergency Please Help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by leslie0815, Apr 24, 2009.

1. leslie0815

leslie0815 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Georgia
    When I got home yesterday Chili Pepper was lying in the pasture and I thought she was dead, I went to her and she was breathing but she had grass coming out her mouth. I pulled it out but it just kept coming out, I looked down her throat and saw a large clump in her throat i reached in with 2 fingers and pulled a real big clump out. She seemed to be able to breath a little better I gave her a little from my cupped hand. I tried to get her to stand but she couldn't. I waited a bit and I noticed her jerking around when she heard her babies they are 2 and a helf months old. Late last night I went out and tried to get her to stand again she stoop for a split secong but went down on her side again. We have no vets anywhere near here. I thought I might have to put her down b ut I just don't know what to do. Her eyes are kind of glazed looking. Please help me. If she doesn't make it will her babies be ok or shoulkd I bottle them some.
    'Thanks Leslie

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If she was out of oxygen for a long time he brain could have been effected.

As for the babies - no they will be fine. 2 1/2 months is fine for weaning.

I would separate her in a stall to let her recover without to many distractions to upset her.

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I really don't know. Do you have any CD Antitoxin? Give that to her...even if that's not what it is it won't hurt her. Is she bloated? Is there a vet you can at least call?? I know you might not be able to take her to the vet, but can you call? It sounds like she choked on the grass, but I wouldn't know why?? You could also go here: http://www.goatworld.com/911/ and find a breeder in your area to call.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey........... she may of gone without full oxygen ...and it could of really effected her... she may also have more stuck in there ...that you cannot see.....or it could be a piece of plastic or cloth to...or more grass...

What part of Georgia are you in ? And are you positive there are no veterinarians near..?
    here is the yellow pages of listings of vets in Georgia..there seems to be alot of them... :hug:
    http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Vet ... te_GA.html
    If not ...then try to call one and ask questions....

does she have gut sounds/movement?

If you feel her throat ...does it feel swollen? Or that it may have a foreign object there trapped?

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I hope she recovers for you, it does sound like she choked and was deprived of O2 .....I just had that scare yesterday with my doe..Thank God I was near when it happened, grass and foam everywhere, my fingers bitten as well from having to reach in and grab the mass.

Keep her in a stall away from her kids as Stacey said, this way she has no distraction while she is recovering, and as Toth said, check for gut sounds...her rumen should feel as though it is making waves and growling, get her to drink some water and offer her hay, though watch her to be sure she doesn't choke again.

6. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

the others have offered good advice- I was just checking to see how this doe was doing? :(

7. leslie0815

leslie0815 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Re: Emergency Please Help UPDATE I LOST HER

I went to check on her early today with hopes that she would be doing better but she had died. She was my my first to get and my first to loose. Now I am having trouble getting someone to help me take care care of the body, what do ya'll usually have to do ? Neighbors just aren't helpful like they use to be.

Thanks ya'll

Leslie

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    oh leslie I am so sorry you lost her. :( :tears: I know how hard it is to lose that very special first one you ever got. I lost the first breeding doe I ever had a couple years ago, and that was so hard.

As far as disposing of the body ... its not a particularly nice thing but one that has to be done.

I myself have a neighbour with a large portion of un-grazable bushland on her property, we drag the bodies into the thick of it and let nature take care of things.

I have friends who live in town, one of the rubbish tips (you would call it a dump I think?) accepts dead livestock, so they put the body into the car and take it there.

I have friends who hire a backhoe, and dig a hole for their dead stock.

I have also sometimes used livestock carcasses as pig feed, if I know the animal didnt die of some nasty contagious thing.

Carcase composting is becoming popular lately.

If these methods arent available/attractive to you, you could always ring your vet, a lot of the time they can dispose of animals for a fee.

Also, some areas have a dead stock removal service, depending on your area it might be free, they might pay you for the carcase or you might have to pay them for removal.

Again, I'm so sorry. They say if you have livestock you will have dead stock at some point, but that doesnt make it any easier :( :tears:

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I bury my pets, on the hillside above my house. Awfu big hole to dig but I wouldn't do it any other way.

I am sorry she has passed, I do think the lack of oxygen from choking caused it. :hug:

10. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I am so sorry you lost her. It's always difficult, but when it's the first one you got, sure a heartbreak.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry ......that is heartbreaking news.....I really hoped she was going to be OK.....it is not your fault by any means....it was an accident.....I know you feel bad ...and I sympathize with you....it is never easy.......... :( :tears: :hug:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry that you lost her.

We take them to the trash dumpsters, or let nature take its course on the nearby hillside

13. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    :( I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your girl :hug: When one of our pets passes away we always bury them on our property.

14. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am so sorry. :hug: We just lost a doe and her 3 unborn does. :hug:
    We bury ours. And then we put flowers on their graves.
    Again, I am so sorry. :hug: