The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday late afternoon I found my Nubian buckling dead. There was a bunch of foamy liquid coming out of his mouth/lungs and I assumed it was interstitial pneumonia since he was fine a few hours before.
This morning we found our Alpine cross doeling down, unable to stand and foam around her mouth. None of my goats have been getting grain lately but they've had absolutely unlimited quality hay. We did just switch the hay, but we get the same stuff as the Casette Family so I definitely know it's not the hay.
Also, about 4 weeks ago, I noticed a few of my goats coughing and having breathing troubles so I treated them all for 5 days with electrolytes, vit. B complex, powdered tetracycline, Sulmet and oxtetracycline. I also used VetRx and Redcell and dewormed with SafeGuard for 3 days, waited 2 days and gave them Ivomec. I gave the oxytetracycline to the goats that were coughing and wheezing the first day, then gave Sulmet and powdered tetra for the next 5 days to everyone. I gave vit. B everyday as well as VetRx and some Redcell.
My Nubian buckling, this Alpine doeling and my other Alpine doeling are also the ones that had been coughing but they were doing fine after the treatment. I had to go to Illinois so my mother was with them for 6 days (which is why they're not getting grain now, we had some rumen issues from too much grain) but I've been home for a week and a half with no coughing from the ones that are now sick.

I really don't know what to do, I brought the doe inside, she has a little pool with hay in it and a bowl of warm alfalfa cube mash. Shes eaten about a half cup of dry alfalfa stems in the last hour. I can clarify if anything I wrote doesn't make sense.

Also, might not be relevant, but all 3 (dead buck, sick doe, weak doe) all came from the same place and I noticed a sore on Sicilia's (the doe inside) nose. It's small, but it looks kind of like it was full and now it's drained. There's also a little raw spot on the side of her nostril and the other doe has raw spots around her vagina.

Sicilia is also dripping pink tinged mucus/saliva from her nose and mouth.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm on the AASRP website looking for a vet near me that will take them. I started looking before I left but the local vet wasn't particularly helpful and I didn't know about the AASRP.
I don't know if I can afford a vet, I did just apply for an outside job to provide straight goat cash for instances like this, but I guess it's too little too late.
How much do small ruminant vets usually run?
The nearest is an hour away, the second nearest whom I would assume has more experience is 3 hours away.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Wow!!! I am no expert, but if I could yes, I would take her to a vet... I'm kind of thinking lung worms??? Which only Valbalzon and ivomec plus only kills. How is her temp? If it's high then maybe pneumonia, but that wouldn't explain the blood... I would give her some B complex, thiamine, and drench her with electrolytes and probiotics. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Keeping the body hydrated is a must though.... Best wishes!

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
you said one is weak, is she walking drunk, star gazing? are any of the grinding teeth? doing a kind of yawn, twist of the jaw? Chewing a cud? Any fever in the suriving does? Pooping berries? My first thought is poison...check hay for any weeds, look around to see if anything was blown in to your goat yard..

get their temp ( 101.5- 103.5 is normal range) High fever needs antibiotics, low temps needs cd antitoxin.....
listen to the rumen
Milk of magnesia; C D antitoxin, a clean source of hay and leaves
lots of fluids to help flush the system...

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I'm on the AASRP website looking for a vet near me that will take them. I started looking before I left but the local vet wasn't particularly helpful and I didn't know about the AASRP.
I don't know if I can afford a vet, I did just apply for an outside job to provide straight goat cash for instances like this, but I guess it's too little too late.
How much do small ruminant vets usually run?
The nearest is an hour away, the second nearest whom I would assume has more experience is 3 hours away.
I'm sorry. I know several on here say it's super hard to find a vet. Price really depends where you are. My vet is awesome and isn't that expensive. He also takes payments. Good luck finding someone and I hope your other goats are ok.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
That's what I'm wondering too, Sydney.
That's the first thing that came to mind. And, by what the OP is saying, it sounds similar. From what I have read on here, it can ail a whole herd instead of just one goat like regular boat. :(

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt it's the hay. It's mixed legume and grass hay and a lot of people use it for their goats just fine including the current ADGA president I guess. I was having an issue with our hay quality before so switched specifically because it was better quality. Also, everyone gets the same hay and their pen is surrounded on all sides by organic farmland with woods buffeting from the road. Only 2 out of 12 are really sick, 2 have an infrequent cough, the rest look totally fine. The one that died and the 2 that are really sick are from the same place. They were sick when I got them, I quarantined for 2 months and they improved, were doing great and everything until now.

Regular berries, no fever, no drunk walking or star gazing, I noticed a little coronary inflammation on the one that won't walk but when I press on it it doesn't seem to bother her. She chews her cud and will eat some alfalfa but won't drink, the other is actively eating and drinking. I drenched both with electrolytes and probiotics and gave them pretty decent Vit. B doses. They aren't really improving or degrading regarding overall condition, except Sicilia seems to be coughing up more blood than before. The one that eats really just looks thin and a little stiff. I would tube Sicilia but I'm afraid of drowning her either with her own saliva or the fluids.

I found a couple vets a bit closer than the others, now we're trying to get one to come out since I would like all of them to get checked out. Not many vets here make house calls and the ones that do have limited appointments I hear.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Not knowing whats going on I would put them back in quaritine...coughing blood is scary...could be lung worms causing coughing, internal CL or CAE...I would have the vet test for these things..

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Wow!!! I am no expert, but if I could yes, I would take her to a vet... I'm kind of thinking lung worms??? Which only Valbalzon and ivomec plus only kills. How is her temp? If it's high then maybe pneumonia, but that wouldn't explain the blood... I would give her some B complex, thiamine, and drench her with electrolytes and probiotics. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Keeping the body hydrated is a must though.... Best wishes!
I don't know anything about this topic, but I've read about lungworm in other animals and the symptoms seem the same. Is there a reason it couldn't be lungworm?

Edit: I'm reposting the question because I didn't see it addressed and it seems like a very good guess.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I don't know anything about this topic, but I've read about lungworm in other animals and the symptoms seem the same. Is there a reason it couldn't be lungworm? Edit: I'm reposting the question because I didn't see it addressed and it seems like a very good guess.
That's why I was thinking lung worms... The coughing and the bloody foam is why I thought of it, but someone also pointed out that it could be internal CL too. Thankfully I've never dealt with either, but I'm hoping for lung worms, but I think it needs to be treated ASAP, and aggressively. Then Scottyhorse had another idea, of a certain bloat. So without knowing for sure what it is, if still no vet I would treat for Lungworms and for that kind of bloat...aggressive. That is just what I would do. I don't have a vet yet either, no one wants to treat goats around here:(

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I agree, without us seeing the goats in person, I would have a vet out. And test them for CAE and CL.

Janeen, where in WA are you? We used to live on the west coast, may be able to help you find a vet. You can PM me if you want.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lungworms is an excellent guess. Sorry for not addressing it.
What can I use to treat lungworms? I thought the Ivomec took care of them... :/

I'm having all my goats tested for CL and CAE. Internal CL has been lingering in the back of my mind. If that's the case hubby wants me to put them down rather than have something our kids can catch. :(

1 - 20 of 72 Posts