The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat had twins this morning. #1 was nursing fine. #2 I didn't see nurse. So I got #2 to take a bottle at 6 pm. It is now 10pm and I went to check them and #1 was laying in the cold... about to give up. I brought #1 inside with me to warm baby up and now its not taking a bottle! What do I do??

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It won't drink until it's body temperature us up to about 100 I think. Warm baby up quickly. You can put all of the body except the head in a trash bag and then lay in warm water so it gets warm but not wet. Or a hair dryer, towels warmers. Your body temp is not warm enough so cuddling with blankets is not enough. Once it is warm enough try feeding it again. They can be tough little buggers so don't give up! Sending prayers for you....

·
924 Posts
Hoping someone else will jump in....

You need to warm him up STAT. do not feed until the babies temp is at 100F. Have you got thermometer to take it's temp with? Warming it up is the most important thing right now.

Feel it's tummy, if you can't feel anything he probably hasn't nursed... if it feels fuller that is good. stick your finger in it's mouth, is it cold?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lifting head. Was Trying to get up. Now laying down. But lifting its head. What about the other baby. Its out with mom. Mom is snuggled up with it. There is a chicken light out there. How frequently should I check on them?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had twin girls do this to me one time. First thing first get him warm. Hairdryer, heat pad, heat lamp. Also drench him with warm milk mixed with nutri drench or if you don't have that about 1 tsp molasses. That will help give him energy. Biggest thing is just get him warm quickly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eyes are open. Yes it can stand. 96.1 now. Looking better already
I have collosterum replacement or whatever its called.
34 deg out now. 11:45 pm
Mouth and hooves are still cold

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like your doing right:) don't freak out if his temp doesn't come up real fast and keep a super close eye on his temp for a while because they tend to have trouble holding their body temps after going way down like that. Mine didn't get to go back outside for 2 months afterword because she was having such a hard time hold her temp.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts