The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pygmy goat who last night was walking around very stiff in the back end, arched back, staring off and very wobbly. Called the vet and he thought either that deer worm (can't think of the name) or anemia. We doubled her wormer dose and gave her that. She seems slightly better today. Should I redose her? Any comments or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you check under the eyelid to see if it's pink or pale in color. If it is pale then your goat is anemic and needs to be put on a good iron supplement.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not know when I can get a vet here. So I am trying to keep her on her feet and getting better as soon as possible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would get red cell it is an equine iron supplement. I would give her a small amount. I am giving my 6mo boer that is 60 lbs 1ml everyday. Give her good grain and hay to keep protein up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you I hope she pulls through this. I am very new to goats and she was fine yesterday morning. I am shocked at how quickly they decline

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Take a fecal sample in to have it checked.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
red cell is 6 cc per 100# double day one then single dose for a full week..then once a week until color s better
Vit B 12 or B complex PLus to help rebuild red blood cells
high protien feed, alfalfa and green leaves will also help
I would also be giving Thiamine or fortifed B complex

To Treat for Deer worm too...safeguard 1 cc per 7# along with Ivomec ..she will also need banamine or Dex to reduce infammation..
here is a full article on that
http://goatconnection.com/articles/publish/article_126.shtml

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't think she is going to make it. Got back and she was down, stiff and shakes. Got some red cell into her, water and electrolytes. No change. Waiting for a vet now

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Im sorry...its so hard when you feel helpless...just hold her and stroke her neck...If you have banamine that will help relax her..

if you have Thiamine or fortifed b complex...give her a nice dose

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well she is actually stable. Looks like possible poisoning or very low thiamin. Still have a long road ahead but she has improved by leaps and bounds since the vet was here.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
awesome news!!! what is her treatment?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had to force water and electrolytes into her. The vet told me to give her another 3 doses of thiamine over the next three days and vitamin b if she seemed weak. I just checked her and she is up ams eating minerals and drinking as well as picking at hay. Can't believe it!! I just hope she keeps improving! Thank you to everyone that has helped out!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts