EMERGENCY - very tiny, weak runt; thick colostrum

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by milkmaid, Sep 13, 2014.

1. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Very tiny, weak runt; thick colostrum

Triplets, boys are strong and healthy, the girl is extremely tiny and very weak. Advice please.
    Mama's colostrum is way too thick - mastitis??? It's very smooth and thick, not lumpy at all.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. Talron

Talron New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    North Carolina
    I cant help but sending good thoughts and prayers for the little girl. :hug:

3. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    She needs to be 100 degrees before feeding her milk. Bring her in the house, and use heating pads or a hair dryer to warm her up. Once she's at the right temp, you'll have to tube feed her if she won't suckle on her own.

Colostrum is usually thick and harder to get out. Can the boys nurse? Massage the udder good, and try applying heat to loosen it up.

4. kc8lsk

kc8lsk New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Northern Mi
    Use milk to thin colostrum down and bottle feed her there's nothing wrong withe momma's colostrum as I had one do that this year but the little girl needs you to thin it down to get it into her.

5. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Molasses or honey on her toungue will provide a quick energy boost, and vit b. I hope your little girl makes it!

6. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Milk a few ounces from mom, and warm the baby up and tube her. Brings them around real quick! Good luck!

7. milkmaid

Wow, thanks for all the advice! When she slid out I KNEW she wasn't going to make it, but she's holding her head up and even trying (weakly) to stand!!! She's teeny weeny, but shows all the signs of a fighter. :)
    Canyontrail, yes, the boys are able to nurse.
    Can someone give me a good link on tube feeding please?

8. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    I don't know of any good links to tube feeding, I'll try to search for on in a minute.
    I use a size 10fr tube, size 12 will work well too, with a 60cc/2oz catheter tip syringe. Heat the milk up to where it feels good and warm on your wrist. Measure the tip of the feeding tube from the kids last rib, all the way up the kids lips. Mark that point with a marker.
    Draw the milk up in the syringe, and attach the tube, depress the plunger until milk starts coming out the end, this is to get the air out.
    The slide the tube into the kids mouth, just down the middle, and let her start to swallow it. Keep feeding the tube down as she swallows, stop feeding the tube down when you get to the point you marked. That means you are in the stomach now. If the tube stops before that point you marked, pull it out and try again.
    After the tube is in place, make she she is breathing fine, no gagging etc.
    If all is clear, go ahead and give some milk, just until her belly feels full, not tight as a tick, and not still sunk in, but nice and full, slightly rounded even.
    Pull the tube out and you're done. :)

9. milkmaid

Thank you so much for all that information, Little Bits!
    Looks like I don't need it yet - got her warmed up and she's sucking, though I'm still concerned about her not getting enough because it's so thick. I've been milking into her mouth as she sucks, so I hope that helps. I do have another doe in milk so I can mix milk with it if necessary.
    She is SO TINY!! Her legs are like pencils and her hooves are soft. She looks so fragile, but she surprises me with her strength. I'm hoping and praying...

10. Talron

Talron New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    North Carolina
    She sounds so adorable. I hope she makes it she sounds like she has the will!

11. mayia97420

mayia97420 Member

Apr 22, 2014
    blessings to you and the tiny doeling

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    This Spring, I had a buck Saanen kid born that was 9.5# and his tiny sister was 4#. She made it!
    I am sending good thoughts that your tiny one makes it too!

13. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Make sure baby gets some milk every few hours, round the clock until you're positive she can nurse on her own. If you have herbs, some slippery elm or a pinch of cayenne should help her. Rub her, speak to her, encourage her to walk. Prayers being sent! You can also give a bit of coffee if she needs a nice kick in the pants.

Lori suggested this mixture in another thread: "Coffee, Whiskey, and Karo Syrup. I mix 2cc of each in a cup and give them about 1/2cc. It will give them a little pep and I will say it has saved many babies."

14. Karen

Karen Active Member

Good advice given, she'll be in my prayers!

(I was a human premie, so always root for the little ones!)

15. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    good advice...I too will add goats milk to thick colostrum when baby needs help...I agree...feed her every hour or two..dont let her go very long..as tiny as she is she can go down quick..got to keepher energy up...honey on the tongue helps boost the brain as will a drop of b complex...

sending prayers!!!

16. milkmaid

I just bottlefed her a couple ounces of colostrum mixed with milk. She's sucking well.
    How many hours should I go between feedings, and how much per feeding?
    She weighs 1lb 3oz just after the feeding.
    I have her in the house with warm water bottles, but I want her mama to still have a claim on her, so I've been taking her out to get licked every hour or so. Mama gets excited whenever she sees her. :)
    ThreeHavens, I have slippery elm. What does that do?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    wow...so tiny!!!....

at aporx. 1.5 pounds times 16 is 24 oz...times 10% is 2.4 oz of milk PER DAY...divide into 4 feeding is 0.06 oz per bottle

with her being so tiny and weak..I think I would feed her every 2 hours, to keep her warm and strong...0.2 oz every 2 hours...keeping watch on her tummy..you can increase ever so slightly as her tummy seems to need..but I wouldnt be too eager to feed too much..she needs time to digest

18. Talron

Talron New Member

Nov 17, 2013
    North Carolina
    My goodness is that a little baby! I know you said little but I never imagined she'd be that small.

19. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    I have had 1 pounders and 2 pounders before and I think they would kill me in my sleep if I tried to feed 2oz a day! :lol: I recently had a 2lber, preemie, on tube feeding for the first few days, and she was sucking down 8oz bottles per feeding by the time she was 5 days old.
    With the tiny ones, I try to feed them as much as they will take. I've yet to run into a problem with it so far.

Now with day old 8 pounders, mine can easily go threw a 24oz bottle in a couple hours. Going by the 10% rule, they should be getting 12.8oz a day.
    That's just what I do here, do what feels right for you, you can judge how much she needs. Just feed her often :)

20. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would be careful to feed too much at once...better to do less more often IMO...I do agree go with your gut..and hers..if she feels sunken then add a bit more..go slow..8 oz at one week sounds like a huge amount....but I know many whose baies do well on that amount...I think its more of a get them used to it..see what they can digest well..keep watch on poop.ect...lots of signs to watch...10% of body weight is a starting point...