·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Her tummy's making a lot of noise as though it's upset. Should I cut back on amount?
I've been making her take about an ounce every two hours, and she's waking me up almost on the dot by squeaking, so I'm guessing she is hungry - but the last two feedings she hasn't wanted to suck at all. She seems strong and bright - last feeding she was able to stand for a second or two when I set her up. This time she almost did, but not quite, so she may be SLIGHTLY weaker, but she still seems just as bright and curious. Holding her head up and looking around.
BTW I have not seen the meconium yet, and I think I would have if she had passed it.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I would be careful to feed too much at once...better to do less more often IMO...I do agree go with your gut..and hers..if she feels sunken then add a bit more..go slow..8 oz at one week sounds like a huge amount....but I know many whose baies do well on that amount...I think its more of a get them used to it..see what they can digest well..keep watch on poop.ect...lots of signs to watch...10% of body weight is a starting point...
I completely agree - a bit too little is a lot safer than too much, especially with babies who have had a hard start. I had my little Xena get Entero.

Her tummy's making a lot of noise as though it's upset. Should I cut back on amount?
I've been making her take about an ounce every two hours, and she's waking me up almost on the dot by squeaking, so I'm guessing she is hungry - but the last two feedings she hasn't wanted to suck at all. She seems strong and bright - last feeding she was able to stand for a second or two when I set her up. This time she almost did, but not quite, so she may be SLIGHTLY weaker, but she still seems just as bright and curious. Holding her head up and looking around.
BTW I have not seen the meconium yet, and I think I would have if she had passed it.
I would give her an enema if you haven't seen her poop, and cut back on the milk. You want her tummy to be flat, or ever so slightly rounded, not tight. If she continues to not eat or starts acting ill, I would consider giving her a CD anti-toxin.

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK, she passed the meconium this morning and peed a LOT. Now I think her tummy is too quiet, and she's still not sucking. She still seems reasonably strong though. She's able to stand again (if I set her up).

·
11,072 Posts
Is her tummy sloshy? I'd get the CD anti-toxin into her if you feel something's off. We want to get her sucking again. Glad she passed the meconium. :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Wow , what a tiny little angel :) Prayers the little girl makes it milkmaid :hug:
She is a fighter for sure ! Here's the link for the tube feeding , just in case.

I know you must know this , but keeping her warm and fed and of course talk to her a lot , it helps stimulate her and gives her reason to fight :)
How are the boys and momma doing ?

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks everyone...no B complex yet. I have oral B complex, but my injectable expired recently and I haven't gotten another. Will oral work?
Mama and brothers doing fine. :) My brother thinks she is actually younger (conceived later) than the other two. Makes sense to me; she looks a bit premature. That can happen with a secondary heat, right?
I will update her status in a few minutes after her next feeding.
I hope TSC carries B complex and CD antitoxin.

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
She's pooping regularly (it's turned yellow now) and swallowing when I feed her through a syringe.

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
I understand you can give B complex orally until 24 hours old..then it will need to be injected..

to stimulate her sucking reflex put honey on your finger ( maybe you pinky lol), set it far back on her tongue and let her suck it off...do this a few times then have a bottle ready with honey on the nipple and slip it in once she is sucking well..
give tiny amounts of milk several times a day as I stated before...

best wishes...

·
11,072 Posts
She may need a touch of selenium. That has helped weak kids here. :) Really tends to help suckling reflex.

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
She is still pooping. She can still stand if I set her up, but she is just not getting stronger like I think she should be. Her tummy is squishy and just a bit round - not distended, but I feel it's not quite right. My gut feeling says watch out for FKS/entero...but TSC does not have C&D antitioxin and the vet and other feed stores are closed...
I did give thiamine orally. She's not quite 24 hrs old yet.

·
11,072 Posts
Activated charcoal may help; I have used it for entero. I think I would also wait to give her more milk until her tummy is right again ... I would at least skip a couple feedings if she's not digesting the milk right. Do you have a good goat vet? His advice may be useful in this situation.

Here is an article on FKS: http://www.goatworld.com/articles/fks/fksrw.shtml

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Does your vet have a cell number you can reach them at ? Maybe you can pick up some antitoxin from them…….just a thought.

I was thinking tube feeding electrolytes and probios would be a good idea ,then i read the link Danielle posted , thanks D :)
At least they can start working on correcting her tummy upset :)
Poor thing is going to have one heckuva fight , and she isn't even a day old yet :( Fight little angel , you can do it ! :hugs:
Glad momma and boys are doing well :hug:

·
11,072 Posts
I'll be praying for her tonight. I know how consuming and rough it is to have a struggling kid.

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
I agree...follow your gut feeling..if things seem off..I would stop milk...use quality electrolite...you can give a bit of baking soda in case you are dealing with FKS...Squishy belly tells me she is not digesting...Saddly with those so little there is a chance there is something not quite developed internal...

((hugs)) and best wishes

21 - 40 of 185 Posts