·
Registered
29,878 Posts
me too..: )

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks everyone for all the help and prayers! And thank you God for the answers! She is doing great today - sucking well and walking around a bit. She even stood up on her own once! She's got a lot of spunk for such a tiny thing. Her tummy feels better too. She has diarrhea, but that's probably because of the vitamin C. I've stopped the C, so it should go away soon.
She is still quite weak ans wobbly, but I'm hoping she's through the worst of it.
Hugs everyone! I am so thankful for you all!
Baby Cosette is chewing on my shirt. I'm going to go see if she'll nurse now. :)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Aww!!! Still sending prayers! Glad to hear she is more lively!

Samantha

"5 minutes of fresh air is equivalent to 5 mg Valium"

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
Praying for your baby, I'm glad she's doing better this morning:)

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
keep up the good work!!

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
She is scouring even worse, and she should have stopped before now if it were caused by the vitamin C.
I am giving her a tsp of milk every 2 hours - but the last few I have been giving her a tsp an hour because she is acting so hungry and her tummy looked a bit sunken. Is that too much?
It doesn't help that my brother just returned from Haiti with dysentery. He's feeling better now. I've been careful to wash my hands before touching Cosette, but I'm so afraid she has caught it. :GAAH: She seems to feel fine; she's lively and curious, so that's a good sign.

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Yes, her fur is normal. Thanks for suggesting that. I did think of iodine deficiency, but I don't think it's that because mama was getting plenty of kelp for the latter part of the pregnancy. Also, Annie's doeling, born close to the same time, was super strong and healthy. I think it's probably just that the bigger boys got more nutrition than she did. Or she was conceived at a five-day heat. The dam passed two placentas.
I genuinely don't feel that anything is "wrong" with her - no birth defects or deficiencies. She seems "fine" mentally and physically, just very small and slightly underdeveloped (teeth not all the way in, head to body ratio a little large). That's my strong gut feeling.
The problem now is the scouring. Any suggestions? I do have a very safe natural antibiotic I can give her.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I don't know much about little bitty babies but maybe pepto??? I wish I knew something but I feel kind if dumb suggesting pepto

Samantha

"5 minutes of fresh air is equivalent to 5 mg Valium"

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Others have suggested pepto; I don't think it's dumb. :)
I'm keeping her hydrated and making sure she has electrolytes. I just don't want to treat the symptoms; if she has an infection, the scouring is her body trying to get rid of it.

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
is she scours yellow? once again you need to stop milk and go electros until she firms up...poor little girl will have a fight for life for a while..

·
Registered
156 Posts
I hope this little girl gets better. Sorry to hear she weak! Prayers going your way

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
IMO the pepto will help her along with what happy bleats mentioned about the electrolytes and stopping the milk till she firms up.
She can still rid her body of infection , but she won't lose as much water doing it. Just a thought ;) Childrens pepto contains no aspirin , so its better for her tummy ;)
Keeping the prayers coming for the little angel :hug:

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
OK, thanks for the advice!

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Not too good. :( She was really low last night - very dehydrated and pooping water - but I found a recipe for homemade "pedialyte" (coconut water and salt) and was giving her that, and she perked up a little. Early this morning I went to get the Pepto Bismol and real Pedialyte.
After the Pepto, the diarrhea slowed a LOT (not completely, yet), and now her tummy is too full. I'm not giving her any more Pedialyte until her tummy is better, but I need advice. Seems I always overtreat or undertreat. :mad: I bet this whole ordeal is because I gave her too much milk for one feeding.
She is doing a bit better now, but is definitely weaker than yesterday and still somewhat dehydrated. Yet she protests when I confine her between the two warm water bottles. I think she still has a fighting chance!
What is Pepto Bismol dosage for goats? I had to guess, basing it off the dosage for humans.
Funny I don't feel sleepy at all; I'll probably crash once she's out of the woods!
Such a dainty little fairy baby, and she was doing so well at first! I REALLY want her to pull through. (Of course.)

41 - 60 of 185 Posts