Emergency - wether down

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Saddlebum, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    When it rains, it pours! It's not my goat but my neighbors. It's a wether pygmy/dwarf and weighs maybe 25-30#'s Probably 6 months old. My neighbors are coming back from Las Vegas tonight at 10pm but their sitter was given instructions on Thurs that this wether was having urinary problems. They have had a little 3 mo old with stones we believe was due to getting into the chicken feed. Anyways, his belly is very tight and the rumen (upper left side is distended more than the right). His belly below is very tight, the rumen is still a little soft, puffy compared to his belly. He is pooping and he did urinate without straining but this is a tiny guy and I know so very little about goats. They did not give the sitter any instructions but to call my friend the cat/dog vet. She gave the sitter my # and I'm all of one minutes drive away. So, I gave the wether some baking soda (2 tsp) balled it up in a water paste and down the hatch about an hour ago. Then, the sitter walked him quite a bit. He was chewing his cud but not anymore. He was drooling before I got there, she told me over the phone. I have an 18 gauge needle I could stick his rumen with but he's not my goat so I didn't to that. He ate a little of Kashi with heavy mineral oil but just a very little. He now is standing in his pen in the house like he's in pain. He puts his butt up against the side of the cage and stands with his hind feet up near his front feet, looking very uncomfortable. I'm standing by with hopes of a quick reply! Thank you!!!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: EMERGENCY

sounds like bloat. Get some vegetable oil down him, Milk of Magnesia, more baking soda, rub his rumen and get him walking. Only use the needle as a last resort.

3. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania

Methods of Treatment for Bloat
    For goats that are still able to walk, you will need to drench a quarter of a pint of mineral oil or cooking oil down the goat's throat and then exercise the goat (through walking) and massaging of the sides. This most often will cause the built up gas to escape through the mouth or rectum. Once you have gotten the goat relieved of the gas, one treatment prescribes giving a small amount of sodium bicarbonate (approximately one tablespoon) mixed in a small amount of warm water or molasses. Another treatment encourages giving the goat a tablespoon of lime (dolomite) and seaweed meal mixed in a half pint of cider vinegar which will help to replace the missing magnesium and potassium.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Don't use mineral oil unless you have to because it doesn't taste like anything and so they wont swallow and the oil may go in their lungs.

5. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan

ok, the sitter is going to be back about 6pm and she said she would give more baking soda and massage his belly and walk him. She seems very reliable. Thank You and I will keep checking here for additional ideas. It's 4pm now, is 6pm going to be too late?

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

It may be, bloat is an emergency that needs to be dealt with ASAP.

7. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan

I called her, she's turning around and coming back and will call me as soon as she gets in their driveway. I'll hustle over there and give a hand. It should be about 20 mins or so. I'll keep checking back here till then.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I am praying....that all works out :pray:

9. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania

I neglected to give credit for the bloat treatment that I posted before:
    It was taken from Goatworld.com; author: Gary Pfalzbot is a Service Connected Disabled Veteran and the webmaster of GoatWorld as well as some other web sites. He has raised goats over the years, been involved with 4-H (as a young boy) and currently resides in Colorado where he and his wife Pam raise a few breeds of goats and other animals, and primarily author the GoatWorld web site to continue to inform, educate, and promote the industry.

sorry, should have cited where I got the treatment from

10. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan

I'm back. Little Willie is better but not. We massaged, walked and walked some more and massaged a bunch. He gave us a bunch of little raisins and we just kept walking and massaging him. also, gave him baking soda with a little distilled water. Probably a Tbs or more. While the sitter took care of the other critters, I watched Willie in his crate, and he started drooling and hunching up. So, when she finished, I left her to continue walking and massaging. His tight belly did start to loosen up a little and was not so distended. But, when I watched him in his crate, it appeared that it started to go back to being quite tight again. So I told her he was not out of the woods yet and she's going to hang around till the owners (city ppl with hearts in the right place) come home, 10-11pm. The neighbors are really good about letting me know how things went so I will post back here with any news and updates. Thank you all!

11. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts

did you drench with oil?

12. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan

no. We didn't.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

did he eat anything he wasnt suppose to recently? like a plant? the drooling isnt good

14. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan

Hi Stacey, geeze louise, can u believe my luck lately. No, nothing unusual, they're kept in a secure fenced in yard and small barn area. They do have access to lots of hay and the owners via cell phone think he's over eaten with the hay.

15. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan

also, the drooling is not foamy or anything, just like plain saliva dripping out of his mouth.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yes but drooling means some kind of paralysis which is common in poisoning from plants

treatment is activated charcoal.

17. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan

hmm, maybe something in the hay?? At any rate, I don't have any activated charcoal and doubt my neighbors do. I guess, we have to wait for them to return. The biggest problem is, they don't like our livestock vet and refuse to deal with her, period. They're using a dog/cat vet but I know she will do her research.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I hope its just plain bloat -- you still giving him the baking soda?

is he still peeing? I worry about the fact that you did say he was straining to pee earlier this week -- I almost lost a buck to stones a couple months ago. They look bloated and lay there just crying so pitifully

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Listeriosis will also cause drooling as will polio and pneumonia

20. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan

He is peeing without straining. Stacey, this is not my goat but my neighbors pigme (sorry, I'm old :)) goat. He also is alert without coughing and has excellent balance, no inbalance issue at all. Is drooling, and stands hunched up with his hind feet up near his front feet and looks like he's straining to go poop almost. His belly is tight and his rumen, up high on the left side is distended out more than the right. He was raised in the house so we took him out to the barn and he turned around and would trot if one of us was in front (me) and jog on ahead of him to the house. A few times, by the time we got to the house, he dropped a bunch of raisins. He seemed better until we put him in his crate in the house and left him there for 20 mins. He stood as I said and was obviously uncomfortable. If he wasn't standing but walking around the kitchen island or begging at the sink, he seemed to be in good spirits. They should be home in another hour or so and I won't hear from them tonight but will post back here as soon as I do hear from them.