emergency? why is Belle sitting like this?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Lawanda, May 4, 2010.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    [​IMG]

Is something wrong with her? She is leaning her head backwards.

This has always been a death warning so far :cry

Please tell me she isn't going to die!! Should I give her vitamin b? I don't know if I can, she is so big and my dh is at work. :(

2. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Is she staring off into space? I'd start by giving her vitamin b1 thiamine right away. It won't hurt her if this isn't the problem but can fix it if it is the problem.
    If you don't have that you can get a b complex from the feed store.
    Staring off can be a sign of goat polio but is this the only sign she's showing? Is she sick? Does she have a temperature? What kind of feed is she on?
    Has she recently freshened?

3. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    She seems fine now. But her eyes looked funny.

I don't think I could give her any shots without Kevin here. Or take her temp! She seems fine now! I hope I am worried over NOTHING!!!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    What do you mean her eyes look funny?

That is really important. Are they jumping around?

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    No, it looked like she was looking sideways or something! We have been staying with her all eve, and now she seems FINE. She got up, ate some hay, ate some minerals, took a drink...

6. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I agree Lori. If her eyes are jumping around it may be best you try and give her thiamine.

7. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    Glad she's doing better. Please excuse me if I'm out of line here but you might consider using this experience as a wake up call and learn to give shots and take temps by yourself.
    I realize that it's difficult for any one person to control a good sized goat in even the best of circumstances but in an emergency being proactive is a hundred times better than standing by and hoping for the best.
    I built a stanchion that I can use if my wife isn't around to hold a goat for me. Usually all it takes is a little grain to get the goat to hop right on up onto it so I can "lock" 'em in.
    If the goat is down but still uncooperative tying them up short helps.
    Being thirty miles from the nearest vet and not being able to afford emergency after hour calls anyway it didn't take long for me to decide I needed to be my own vet as much as possible.
    If someone had told me four years ago that soon I'd be pushing a breach baby goat back into it's mom in order to get the back legs up and over her pelvic bone I'd have thought they were nuts. Well............
    And it wasn't easy. She's doing her best to push the kid out. I'm doing my best to push the kid back in. And it turned out she had two more kids behind the breach not giving me much room to work with.
    Sometimes you don't know what you're capable of until you try. :thumb:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I to agree.... your goat is starting symptoms and needs treatment started....

Sometimes it is hard for people to get shots or give them....they may have a fear.... or the animal may be to much to handle or be wild like.... if a person is alone and the cannot handle the animal ...they may get hurt ...and there will be no one around to help.... there can be many different reasons... for not being able to give shots... some people just can't do it....another thing is ...they can be afraid of hitting a vein or maybe even killing the animal...I agree... that it is good to learn.... and it does helps save animals in the know how.... but we need to understand.. that they want to help the animal ....but just can't...... :hug:

9. Her sugar could be low too. With the heat etc it could be overheat as well. Everone adjusts to the weather differently. I have an older doe that at times acts like she is in her own world then is fine for months then another off day. I would stan to reason it could be like older people. Have you thought about a trip to the vet? That might help too with some blood work. If you are worried about Polio I would treat for it as it does not hurt your doe at all. Keep us posted.

10. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    You know, she has been fine ever since!! We got new minerals, and I am wondering if they helped... ?

There is no way I could ever give Belle a shot by myself, unless she was extremely sick, like when Patches was so bad, and she just was so far gone she wasn't moving. But Belle has horns, big ones, and she knows how to use them. She is as tall as me. She is not a friendly goat. She spent the first 5 years of her life with her mother (aka Mrs Grump!) and no human contact except for her owner giving her corn in a feeder every night.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is good... that she is OK ...sounds like... the minerals helped...... :hug: