Emergency!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by whatknott, Feb 27, 2009.

1. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have these two nubian/boer goats that were given to me from the livestock dealer. They are now about 8 weeks. My husband gives them their bottles in the morning. an hour later, I'm out doing the rest of the feedings and giving them their grain and hay. This morning I noticed the female was just lying under the heat lamp all curled up and didn't respond to me - checked later, and seems to have labored breathing. Asked my husband if she coughed when she drank this morning (he tends to use nipples that have too large of holes!!) and yes, she had coughed. She doesn't have a temp, but i assume she has fluids in her lungs. Should I just go ahead and start antibiotics? If so, tylan 200 or penG? Is there hope for her?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Our babies aspirate a tiny bit of milk with every bottle and their fine. They drink with such gusto that's its inevitable. The coughing immediately after the bottle is to remove anything from the lungs. Take her temp and if none shows, just watch her for a bit. You can always start the antibiotics if she shows symptoms. In my opinion is better to wait just a bit instead of reaching for the big guns first.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if she aspirated then yes she needs to be on antibitics for pneumonia.

Did you check her temp? if it is low or high she needs to be in antibiotics.

As to coughing when eating - yah that happens from time to yes, but if she is acting off now then something is certainly wrong and needs to be taken care of.

I would do the faster acting on tylan, it is also better for respitory things.

Is she eating at all? you may need to syringe water or milk into her to keep her from getting dehydrated - which can happen very fast!

4. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    temp was only at 100, but she was shivering, so maybe something else was going on. But gave her a little tylan 200 even before i got your message and 2 hours later, she is up and nibbling on hay and looks her old self. Guess I'll continue the tylan for a little while, right?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    yes, once you start an antibiotic don't stop it. :)

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup you want to continue that for the length of treatment

I had a doe just befor getting bred she had a low temp and Ifinaly put her on antibiotics after a day or so of other treatments - she started to get better with in a day. So yah they can have an infection or the like even with a low temp.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like you have it under control!

Keep up with the antibiotics and keep us posted!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like things are a better with your treatment.. :) ...I am praying for the wee one...keep us updated.... :wink: :pray:

9. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    the probelm is how often - my vet says every 2-3 days for tylan 200; read online to give it every 12 hours and Stacey said she gave it once a day for 5 days?? She was a real bugger to give it too - must have stung as soon as the needle went under the skin and then squirmed so bad that I had to do it over 3 times until I got it in.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I give it every day - but everyone says to give it every other day which is I suppose the way it is designed to be used.

11. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Squirmy is always a good sign :wink:

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    The doses on most bottles of antibiotics are for cattle. Goats have a much faster metabolism. They need to be doesed more often. I haven't used Tylan, so those who have know what to give. I use Nuflor. The bottle says every other day for two doses. I do every day for three days to a week. This is what works for me and was suggested by my vet.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I use nuflor to...it's a miracle drug with less injections...my vet also recommended it... :wink: