Emergency

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by powderhooves, Mar 28, 2010.

1. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I am so ready to cry. I was trimming hooves, giving vaccinations, and worming goats. I noticed a wether that had a caulky substance all around his uretha. I am attaching a picture. He is not in discomfort.

I am feeding all grass hay and no pregnant does. My buck has been wethered. I feed a mix of grain...goat chow, BOSS, flax seed sprinkled with DE at night. Since I have 25 goats they do not get much. They have plenty of fresh water.

I did notice one other goat with a similar issue but minimal. I cut away a portion of this fleece to take to the vet tomorrow but for today I need to know what to do.

I am sick with worry.

[​IMG]

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    looks like it could be buildup. i would shave the area and clean it. is he having trouble peeing?

3. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I am taking everyone off all grain and only giving BOSS. A friend thought it might be too much phosphorus and thought if it was urinary calculi the goat would be wrenching in pain. She suggested ammonium chloride. I have it on hand but don't know if I put that in the water if it is dangerous for my guardian dogs and the does. Also...I don't have a lot so will have to order up more. I did notice this week that all the water bucket in the barn was empty in the morning. I thought it had a leak so I changed it out. Again...empty...so for the next 3 days I changed out the bucket. I knew someone was drinking a lot of water. When I saw this I knew it was this goat. I do have two others that had this same thing but very slightly. This one was the worst. The others are minimal.

4. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Just my opinion....but I would definitely shave the area down and take more pics, as these pics are hard to discern.
    I'm sure other more experienced goat people here can help but better pics would make it much easier.
    Good luck

5. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    No trouble peeing. Just drinking lots of water. Lots and lots of water for the past few days. I am stopping all grain and making sure there is plenty of water in the barn since the water bucket is completely empty by morning. I may not lock them up in the barn at night. That scares me since we have predators but I do have two guardian dogs. The bears and mountain lions and coyotes are out. I am going to take a temp. This stuff is really chalky and gritty.

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    That does look like build up to me too. I lost our wether in January from UC. It was horrible!! For now I don't ever want to own a wether again. If I ever change my mind I'll put out a salt block along with the loose minerals. The extra salt makes them want to drink more water. Good luck! I hope it's nothing serious.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    As a treatment take ammonium chloride 1-1/2 tsp and mix with a bit of water and drench for 7 days....I keep it mixed in my guys minerals and I give very little grain to my wethers, and I buy it with AC already in it.
    Best of luck!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ammonium Chloride will not hurt your does, not positive about the dogs though, do as Denise suggested and mix the AC into the freechoice loose minerals...1lb to 25 lb minerals, also, it would also benefit the boys to be drenched using the mixing directions Denise offered too.

I would definately get those bellies shaved and cleaned, looks like there may also be some urine scald occurring, a smear of bag balm ason the irritated area will help repel the wetness.

9. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Thank you everyone! It has been a long day. I did take Dutch to the vet. I got an email from Lori from Sweet Goats. My vet went with her recommendation for treatment and diagnosis. Two vets tried to extend his penis with no success; however, after all that manipulation he stood up and peed. They thought it might have been from all the manipulation. I took him because he was pawing and pawing on the ground. I don't know..I thought he might be telling me he was uncomfortable like the girls do before they have their babies. I don't have the experience to know and I didn't want to take any chances. There is also another wether that had similar signs with the chalky crystals but not as bad and I started him on treatment. Both took their drench as if they knew they needed it. I also put some AC in the minerals. I have 15 wethers. I've never had a problem before.

Another friend told me she didn't like the ratio of calcium to phosphorus in the mix I had been feeding so I'm having something specially blended. She works on a large goat ranch and also has all wethers herself.

The vet shaved Dutch and I cut down the fleece around the other one. I need to work on the fleece of the others. The shearer took my blades to sharpen after the last time he was here so I don't have any blades so I will have to order some to have on hand myself. He usually just brings them back when he returns. Good idea to have some myself.

Again, thank you all! I will keep you updated.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow...poor guy..... Glad you took him to the vet.... :hug:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well it seems he is passing the stones fine I would give the drench as Denise posted and you are doing that way if there is a larger one that may get stuck it is dissolved some before that has a chance of happening.

So glad you did see him pee and all seems to be well so far.

12. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I give 7 tablets of Vitamin C (1,000 mg) The acid from the Vitamin C will break down the smaller crystals so that they are able to pass. :) I saved a buck from a bad case of UC (he was screaming while trying to urinate and was leaking blood) with Vitamin C.... now I give my boys a dose every 2-3 weeks just in case.

13. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I have vitamin C powder. Can I put it out free choice? Do you think they would eat it???

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I would think the vitamin potency of the powder would degrade quickly if given free choice. Is there any way you can repack the powder like we do the copper bolus? Place the powder into empty capsules and bolus down the goat or, mix a couple teaspoons/tablespoons with a little water and drench.

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I'm sorry I didnt see this till earlier. This is just a classic case of pizzle rot, so breathe and relax, your boys will be fine, as you said they are not having any trouble peeing so its just pizzle rot. All you need to do is clip them, keep them trimmed neatly and they will be fine, heal up by themselves.

16. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Is that why the vet couldn't get him to extend his penis???? What do I do other than clip the area?

17. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    no, often times you just cant extend the penis of a wether anyway, I think its to do with the lack of hormones so the muscles develop differently. It is extremely difficult to extend a wether's penis.

Just clip it, you can put some antibacteria spray, wound dressing etc whatever you would normally put on minor cuts/scratches (I cant give you brand names because I'm in Australia). But it will heal up pretty quickly by itself. Pretty nasty to look at, huh?

The thing to watch with pizzle rot is that if it gets really bad and isnt clipped, it can develop further and get flyblown - in which case you would put some flystrike powder on it.

But its a pretty typical problem with fibre wethers/bucks, just need to give them an extra trim every now and then between shearing :)

18. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Thank you so much.....thankfully ...we don't have any flies right now.....we still have about 3' of snow on the ground. We live in a ski resort. It is warming up though. I have the shearer scheduled for Saturday. I did take Dutch to the vet and he sheared him. The other little guy I clipped down. All the other wethers we are going to clip down tomorrow and clean up before Saturday. In the future I'll clip away when I trim hooves. I feel bad I didn't catch this sooner. I normally trim hooves every month but I have had two hand surgeries and haven't been able to use my hand. The hand surgeon was actually going to do another surgery and cast it for 6 weeks but I was at my acupuncturist for something completely different and was complaining about my hand. He worked on it ... and after two treatments my hand is as good as new! Amazing! I was so surprised by this because I'm neurotic about keeping my barn clean but we've had spring melt around the barn where we plow and it's been kind of wet and sloppy. Maybe that's a contributing factor. I don't know. Poor sweet little goat didn't even complain.

19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    dont feel bad, my guys get it sometimes, I have one that is very prone to it. its just the nature of fibre animals, that their hair tends to collect the urine and in some, it causes the pizzle rot.

:)