The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a goat that is not good. She was fine around 6am, but by 7:30, was down. She is wobbly when trying to move, and her head is drooping. Her breathing is a bit ragged, but seems normal otherwise. I got her up and she burped and pooped, which looked normal. She took a few steps, and then was down again. This time, she got herself up and has been standing for the past 30 min. without help (head is still drooping). Her stomach isn't extended, so it don't think it is bloat. No change in feed either.

The vet has been called, but one is on vacation and the other is running, he may not make it today. She is a Boer/Nubian doe and her pen is on a hill, so I can't get her into a car.

Looking for any help right now, in case the vet can't come.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You'll need to get some vitals: Get her temp, check to see that she is hydrated by pinching up a tent of skin and seeing if it springs back, look at her eyes and gums to see if they are pale. I would go ahead and get some thiamine or Fortified B complex into her and maybe some milk or magnesia to bind toxins or CD antitoxen if you have it JIK...neither of these things will hurt her if they aren't her problem and could buy you some time to treat her while you are getting her vitals back to us...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Also, be sure her hay isn't really dusty (could be mold) and that her feed isn't too old.

You will want to ensure she can't / doesn't lay all the way on her side, so if she get's really weak, you may need to prop her up so she is laying more upright. Is the doe pregnant? Tryingto figure out if we're neurological (sounds like it) or muscular/skeletal here. Could be moldy feed, meningeal worm or high wormload, or something toxic she ate (may be more likely) or a head/fighting injury (possible too). If she were pregnant that could be more things...which is why we need vitals and we treat for things that could cause her to go downhill fast while we are sorting it out, like toxins.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last wormed in June - eyes and gums are still pink.

Running to TSC to get Vitamin b-1 injection in case vet can't make it. Couldn't find the thermometer, so picking up a new one

She is not pregnant, and when she was down, was laying like she was sleeping. She is still holding herself up, but looks like she is getting weak. Feed was new last week and hay is not moldy. Had a pet sitter in here last weekend, so I have no idea if she gave them weeds or something.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Make sure you get the fortified B complex with the thiamine in it (you probably already know that;). I'd get the Cd Antitoxen while there too unlessy ou have it

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
Agree make sure you get fortified B Complex. Get some Probios too. Also get the Milk of Magnesia if they don't have C&D Antitoxin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back. Her temp was 101.8, before she decided she was done and scooted away from me, but it was very slow, so I think it was close to done anyway She is still standing on her own. Vet can't come out today, so I put a plea on FB for help carrying her up. Very hot and humid here, so trying to disturb her as little as possible. If I can;t find help in the next hour, I will give her the shot.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Heat can do a number on them too...you can give her electrolytes also. Mine will slurp up warm water with a good 1/4 cup of molasses, about a half cup (I don't neasure) of cider vinegar and a TBSP of salt or baking soda...but oddly it has to be warm or they won't touch it.

The shot will help her no matter what...we even give vitamin B when we travel for hikes, they need it, they don't make it when stressed. I'd deiniftely give it and I'd give milk of magnesia too...there is too much risk that she seems to be getteing better and next thing you know, she's REALLY bad. Wobbly is not good...even if she looks better, she's not well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. Luckily, right after I posted, a friend came by with her son and we were able to load her. She is being hospitalized at the vet now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just an update: Vet called to say she is resting, stood up by herself for a while and can apparently "run around pretty good". He is treating her for Polio and meninga worm right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Question for you all, should I be on the safe side and just give the other 2 a dose of B-1? They all eat the same thing, and the other two seem healthy, I just don't want to go through this again. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
Is it just the B-1 that you have? A better thing to keep on hand is the fortified B Complex. It never hurts to give B vitamins, they just pee out what they don't need. But if your girls are healthy, you really don't have to.

·
Registered
30,628 Posts
All good advice given!!!

Any snotty nose or coughing?? Is she chewing a cud? here is a good home made elctrolyte to try also offer green leaves...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses..or what molasses you have or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
30,628 Posts
oops didnt see page two lol..So glad you were able to get her to the vet....great advice given here : )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just another update: vet called to say she is doing good. She is walking much better, but is still a little wobbly. He is treating her with B-1 and high dosages of Ivermectin. He will be keeping her overnight and she should be home tomorrow. This was the first time anything has happened with our goats, so now we know what to do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts