The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wee buckling here who was born 24 September. I have not once been able to feel either testicle in his scrotum, it has always felt completely empty. Otherwise he seems to have normal male genitalia, he also has bigger horns than his twin sister. Normally I would have put a ring on him by now but this hasn't been a possibility. He's a real little cutie and was intended to be sold as a pet when he weans but not too many people are going to want a smelly crypto for a pet, which i assume is what he will be like. Any ideas what I could/should do? TIA
PS he is a miniature breed, probably not really worth keeping for meat either. Only weighs maybe 5kg at this point.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We had a buckling last year where the testicles never dropped. Vet looked and said that the testicles were far up inside. Suggested that he be culled as could possibly still reproduce.

Banding would not have mattered since only the sacs were there.

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
You could still harvest him. Just "field dress" him and then put him whole into a pit to BBQ. If you do it yourself, the cost would be minimal. If you can't do it yourself, I don't think the expense would be too much if you weren't having them "process" the meat. A lot of the cost involved is from cutting the carcass into usable "cuts". This is most likely the route I would personally take.

On another note, you could still market as a pet and let them know what the issue is. A vet should be able to surgically neuter him. It is more expensive. Also, goats don't handle anesthesia extremely well so it would need to be a vet that had some experience and could work quickly. If you found someone who was willing to take the chances with him as a pet, you could just give him or require a deposit that is refundable upon them showing you the vet report that he had been neutered.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
as powerpuffmama said...testes are most likely high up..He wont make a great pet since he can still be bucky..he might be good as a teaser buck, but if there is anything alive swiming in there...you dont want to pass his genetics on...he could make a great a companion for a lonely buck a horse or doneky....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - I will enquire with the vet about surgical castration but if someone is happy to take him "as is" he would probably still make a nice, if stinky, pet. If he starts to get bucky before he gets a new home we'll get a vet to give him the snip. I think it might be a simple surgery as I palpated his abdomen today and I am pretty sure I can feel the testes just near the scrotum, suspect the cords attaching them might be on the short side

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS we do have a vet who is good at anaesthetizing goats. Our buck broke a leg a year ago and because he is a very rare breed we had the vet put him back together. I was there for the anaesthesia and noticed that the vet was careful to not overdo it and monitor his vitals. Frank is as good as new now.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
He is technically still a buck and could breed your does, so I'd separate. Surgical castration is possible and I've seen it done with these situations a few times. If you'd like him to go as a pet that's probably the best option for him. :thumb: Otherwise he could maybe go as a sweet buck companion - just kept away from other does. That's what I would do if I liked him too much to harvest.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In sheep there is a procedure called " short scrotum" where they push the testicles back up inside the ram and only remove the scrotum. The temperatures inside the ram kill off the sperm.. While this isn't 100% for infertility, it is effective. I would assume this buck would be more fertile if it was just one testicle inside.

That being said I wouldn't risk him around my does. I have also heard that a true cryptorchid will have major problems later on in life if the testicles are not removed. So if surgery is not done, you may want to find someone that will butcher him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts