The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only time ive had this happen i lost the kid, please walk me through. Doe is first time, accidental breeding, 1 year old, small mini mancha
I can feel the kid, nose, front feet. Upside down. No way I can reach in far to reposition.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I figured out that it's the front feet of one kid and the head of another. They are both dead now I am sure. :( I tried to get my hand in but she is just. Too. Small. There are no emergency vets that do goats, but there is one that opens at 8 so I'm taking her in then. Please pray that she's ok. She is not having contractions anymore and is resting.

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This kidding season has been really rough. I had no time for it this year - I'm pregnant and focusing on taking care of myself - so I didn't breed, but four of them managed to get pregnant anyway, three first timers and two far too small; I wouldn't have bred them by choice for at least another year.
We've lost four of seven kids now, and I also lost one of my favorite does to a dog attack. I've never had that bad luck and I feel like such a failure. :'( I need some hugs.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
This kidding season has been really rough. I had no time for it this year - I'm pregnant and focusing on taking care of myself - so I didn't breed, but four of them managed to get pregnant anyway, three first timers and two far too small; I wouldn't have bred them by choice for at least another year.
We've lost four of seven kids now, and I also lost one of my favorite does to a dog attack. I've never had that bad luck and I feel like such a failure. :'( I need some hugs.
Do you have a child at home or a friend with a child or a lady with small hands. Get them to go in there. I am sorry you have jad such a crummy year.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
It’s hard when things don’t go right. Especially when there is nothing you can do and these things just..happen. We’ve all been through this and from my experience, it doesn't get easier when we lose a goat. But..the good news is..we learn every day and we get better at *goating,* better at raising goats, judging goats, milking goats, delivering goats, and caring for them. You did the absolute best you could do and that’s great
. :hug::goodjob:(console)

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my. I am not able to find a vet open who can treat her within 2 1/2 hours drive. Why do these things ALWAYS happen on weekends?
I need help. What can I do? Oh God I need help

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t think I can make that long a drive ... I did not sleep well at night and I don’t do long drives well at the best of times. Please help somebody! :’(

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you are fairly certain that there is no hope to save the kid with head out, I'd grab a loop of baling twine.
This is a tough call. As herders, we need to aim to save our doe as priority.

Tie around the head. Even if you need to use arms and feet together, apply counter pressure to your doe/feet of the other kid.

No goat friends around you?

·
8,187 Posts
Get a lamb puller or baling twine, put a loop in it, then wash up then lube up. Get as much lube on your hand as possible (remove any rings) squirt lubrication inside the doe too, you want slippery.

Now, put that loop of twine around what ever is sticking out, leg, head, etc. hold that and gently but firmly go in as far as you can and push the extra parts out of the way. If you want, after you have the twine on, roll the doe over, that may help reposition her. Also, if you can get a hay bale under her so her butt is up, that will give you more room inside.

Is there anyone around to help you? I feel so bad for you. (And your doe).

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
None with smaller hands or more experience than me.
I am absolutely certain both kids are dead. I honestly don't think I can get a hand in to tie baling twine around the head of the one, also I know for sure one of the two has to be pushed back if I'm going to get them out at all.
Please, is there someone I can call to talk to via FB Messenger? I don't have a working phone, mine just got run over, I was using hubby's but he needs it for work.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Breathe!
Calm. Rethink, re center yourself.
This is terrifying and you are tired, but to improve the situation you'll have to rearrange your thoughts.
You will lose the doe for certain if you cannot get the kids out.

Pics may be helpful here.

Counter pressure on the does vulva to hopefully pull that head forward a bit so you slip twine over.

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a drawing. The birth canal is tight so Kid 2's head is pressed over sideways
91269399_834466983732974_2769225196828098560_n.jpg
on top of Kid 1's legs.

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm heading to TSC for some birthing lube. Please say prayers for my doe. Her name is Shamrock.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Yes, breathe! This is a very difficult situation, but you CAN do it! If they are two kids coming at once, you will need to push one back in order to get the other to come out. This is one reason there is NO room--too many kids in the passage! You will need to work and work with lots of lube to work your hand in there. If you are not strong enough, try to find someone who is. The kids MUST come out for the doe to survive. Try straddling her over a hay bale to keep her upright. This will make it easier to work than if she's laying down. Even if you can't find a vet, you need help! Find someone who can help you hold the doe and talk to her, and find someone who can help you reposition those kids. Best of luck to you and your doe.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
You can use cooking oil in a pinch..Elevate moms butt asap..it will help open some space..lots and lots if lube. You will need to be in a saving mom mode and hope for the best with kids..push baby with legs back while pulling other baby forward..loop a finger behind bent knee and pull one leg forward the pull like crazy..
Once that baby is out..loop wire over other babies head and pull front facing..then pull those legs. ((Hugs)) this will be hard but you can do it. Go slow. Work with mom..

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Looking at your drawing, I think it would be easiest to push Kid #1's legs back in. Fold them back if you need to but get them out of the birth canal. Then get Kid #2 out. See if you can get kid #2's legs forward under his chin and pull him that way, OR get his head out completely and then work the front legs out. Once he's out of the way you will have more success at getting Kid #1's head turned forward. Head back is one of the most difficult positions to work with and it won't help that the kid is expired. You need as much room as possible to get him out, which is why removing Kid #2 first is probably your best bet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts