The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 day old female kid feel ill on Friday we could find no one to see her in the area untill Monday. By then she was so severly ill they put her to sleep. Of coarse i am crushed i was bottle feeding her and she was my first. I thought it was floppy kid syndrome but the Vet said she had encephalitis from giving her her mothers milk initially. And pneumonia set in and that was the nail. I have 3 other kids born by 2 different does that were pinned with the infected mother. Is there anything i can do to help prevent the other kids from getting sick or something i can buy to treat it if no vet is available. Our vet wont give us anything and has made it clear how hard it is to be seen anyway due to Covid let alone after hours. Please any info is good info

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Was the dam tested for CAE to prove that it was indeed encephalitis?

If those kids weren’t nursing off of the infected doe or exchanging bodily fluids with her, then they shouldn’t be affected. You can separate her from the kids to prevent any future transfer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No he diagnosed her based on head and eye movements. We milked her mom once after she refused the baby give it some of her colostrum

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
IMO, that’s a very bold statement from the vet, if he’s implying your doe has CAE without proof (unless she is showing clinical signs?). That’s a hard cull for some people, since it’s a permanent and contagious disease.

I would look down other avenues until you can get her tested. Polio is common in kids and presents similarly, but it isn’t a contagious disease. It is a thiamine deficiency. You treat it with thiamine (RX) or Vit B Complex OTC.

If it was indeed encephalitis from CAE, then I believe that is normally fatal.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I was under the impression that encephalitis due to CAE didn't form that fast in newborns.. Of course you want to believe your vet (the person who is supposed to know) is correct but its a good thing you are cross-referencing what he said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for providing an avenue for research i dont want to run into this issue again if i can help it. Unfortunately there arent many vets to choose from for large animal in the area. Its very frustrating. And it upsets me that alot of these vets dont seem to really care about the animals they treat.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.

For peace of mind, I would draw blood from the dam and mail a sample to WADDL or a state lab in your area to check for CAE.

Things you need to have on hand from the feed store or supply chain online (Jeffers Livestock) are: digital rectal thermometer, B-Complex injectable with syringes & needles, and a bottle of Penicillin, a tube of activated charcoal, and a bottle of bloat release.

Kids will need coccidia prevention around 3-4 weeks of age.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts