Encouraging heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Epona142, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Husband's goat, Rudy, hasn't gone into heat or been receptive to the buck at all this month. The other two does I wanted bred this month both were quite receptive on two separate occasions and were bred. Quite enthusiastically I might add!

But miss Rudy (Rudy the prude we are calling her) has been around the does and with the buck for over a month now, and hasn't shown a sign of heat.

She's been bred before, she kidded two weeks after I brought her home for her FF early this year. So I know she's fertile.

What can I do to encourage a heat? I want to bring her home but until she is bred she has to stay with the buck.

I know about Lutsayne (sp?), how much of that would I give? Where can I get it?

What about natural encouragement?

Thanks!!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Take a old towel. Rub it all over a buck and get it really nasty Bucky smelling. Seal it in a plastic bag like a zip lock. Take it out, have the doe smell it and do that a few days, you should see her come into heat or I will say it will be a lot more noticeable when she is in heat. She will rub on the towel and smell it a lot.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How long has she been in with the buck? Is it possible that she is bred and you didn't catch it?

Lutalyse is available thru a vet and all it takes is 1 1/2 cc to have a doe in heat within 96 hours.....but if you aren't totally sure she is not bred, it wouldn't be a good thing as Lute will cause abortion.

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    sweetgoats - She's WITH the buck. And he's quite smelly and doing his job well. Lol.

Liz - She has not shown any interest at all since being with him. (Sometimes in the same pen, other times in different pens that are adjacent.) She's been there about a month now. They COULD have bred at night or while I was gone, but I would have seen evidence, or my friend (who lives there) would have. All the other girls will love on the buck before and after being in standing heat, and will have messy hind ends.

But Rudy has not exhibited any of those signs. She just runs as fast as she can when he tries to flirt with her! Stubborn prude.

I will look into Lutalyse. We are going to give her another week to come into heat naturally before going that route. I'm almost 100% certain she has not bred yet, and she has to come home soon, and with my luck, she'll come into heat AFTER I've brought her home and I'll have to tote her stubborn tail back over to the buck, or miss the heat altogether.

:doh:

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Day 0: Insert CIDR or progestogen sponge
    Day 14: Inject PMSG 600 - 750 IU (pregnant mare serum gonadotrophin - encourages multiples)
    Day 16: Remove sponge/CIDR. Introduce the male.
    Day 18: mating should occur

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some goats go more on a dairy goat fall heat schedule. Just because they can breed all year round doesnt mean they will. She probably is going to go into heat sometime starting in September or October

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sorry :hammer: :hammer: I missed that.

If she has been in with the buck, I would NOT lutalyce her. She might be a silent heat goat and she might already b bred. I would leave her in a few more weeks if possible. I had a doe that was here to be bred. I never ever saw her in active heat at all. I kept her here another month to be sure (three months total). She kidded according to the first month she was here. I just never noticed. She never made those normal doe in heat actions at all.

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Well she'll be with him for a good long while more. So she'll come into heat eventually I imagine! :roll:

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Epona....what Stacey said is right, I have 2 does here, Angel and Binky that don't have strong heats until the "normal" dairy breeding season starts, Binky usually won't show sign of strong heats until late August and Angel not until September. If you can leave her with him for awhile longer go for it, or you can bring her home and take her back in another month.

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Well I had to scramble around and bring my buck home, so no problems keeping them together until oh say, she gets nice and fat.

Lol.

I'll keep an eye out for signs of breeding. I don't really want to use an unnatural means to bring her into heat, so we'll let nature take its course for now.

11. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I have to reply just to second the whole she may already be bred theory.. This happened with 2 of my does.. both went off to different breeders and ended up staying about 4 weeks, when finally breeding was witnessed.. ya well both the girls gave birth 4 weeks earlier than I had anticipated.. both were bred within days of being dropped off and it was missed by both of the breeders... Sometimes goats like a little privacy :wink: So if it were me I would hold off on the Lutalayse. Good Luck though.. We have only had 1 doe show any signs of heat at this time.. the 4 month old (of course) and won't be gearing up to start until Oct. So hopefully by then the seniors will be ready!

Jennah

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree, she may already be bred. Some does are silent when they are in heat. The buck can detect things we cant.
    It may also be too early. I wouldnt lut her, just in case she is already bred.
    beth