engorged and afraid of mastitis

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kboo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kboo

kboo New Member

Jun 3, 2008
    So our goat had her first babies the other day. She is a great mom, unlike our other goat. But she is so engorged and I am milking her as well as her nursing but she is really hard to milk. The udders are so hard and the teets so tiny that it makes a hard combo for milking. Now she has diarrhea and last night her udders where hot. Today they weren't so hot but we did spend more than an hour trying to get most of the milk out. Hoping that helped but does anyone have any ideas of what I should do?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Try using a very warm wet compress on her udder before you start to milk her, it does help with milk letdown. Do not milk her all the way out if she is feeding her babies, only enough to make her comfortable. Does production is supply and demand, they will only make what is taken, and by just relieving pressure she knows to not make as much.

Also, get a temp on her to keep for reference just in case...normal is 101-103.5.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I agree with Liz. Sometimes does will get sort of a "congested" udder after kidding, it just takes warm compresses and milking for it to clear up usually.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How is her temp?

how does her milk look? Does it look normal or?

For the scouring:
    get a fecal done on her ...she may have worms or cocci....with the stress of kidding .... :hug:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are her babies acting hungry or are their bellies full? if she has a congessed udder the kids might need to be supplemented

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    There is a "mastitis soap test" on here somewhere...someone will help find it...I'm a bit techno-challenged.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California