The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl kidded on Wednesday. She’s a first freshener. Single doeling. Momma is a Nubian x. She bagged up nicely. She’s still learning to stand for baby to nurse. I think she’s engorged and so is maybe tender. Baby has been nursing only one side as the other test gets too full and big. If I milk her down a bit then I’ve seen baby get on there for a few seconds. Baby has no interest in the bottle. She’s bouncy and active. So I’ve been freezing whatever I milk out. I dont want to steal from baby and I think I’m doing the right thing. Maggie’s udder has been FULL, tight and shiny the whole time. She didn’t seem to be able to lie down. Should I continue just milking her out a little bit a few times a day so baby can get on and momma let’s her as it’s not so uncomfortable for momma? Advice greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
If she were my goat, I would go ahead and milk her out, or almost all the way out. The kid has already gotten that vital first day of colostrum and then some. Last year, I had a doe kid a single, and I had to start milking her on the second day after birth. I typically start milking a few days after birth, anyway, but I really needed to milk her, as she was so uncomfortable. The kid just could not keep up with her production. If you're planning to milk your doe and share with the kid, I recommend reading through this. Glimmercroft - Udder Development and Dam-Raising Kids
Your doe and kid are gorgeous! I love the coloring on both of them!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If she were my goat, I would go ahead and milk her out, or almost all the way out. The kid has already gotten that vital first day of colostrum and then some. Last year, I had a doe kid a single, and I had to start milking her on the second day after birth. I typically start milking a few days after birth, anyway, but I really needed to milk her, as she was so uncomfortable. The kid just could not keep up with her production. If you're planning to milk your doe and share with the kid, I recommend reading through this. Glimmercroft - Udder Development and Dam-Raising Kids
Your doe and kid are gorgeous! I love the coloring on both of them!
I think that’s what I’ll have to do. I just read it and I like that approach. I was so busy getting my emergency colostrum and bottles at the store in case of not enough milk!!! Little did I think!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I think that’s what I’ll have to do. I just read it and I like that approach. I was so busy getting my emergency colostrum and bottles at the store in case of not enough milk!!! Little did I think!
That approach made a lot of sense to me, too! Hope all goes well! Having too much milk is a great problem to have. :) her milk is fine to drink, though you may still taste the colostrum. If you don't like the flavor, you can keep freezing it for soap or for future goat kids. Not sure about the milk withdrawal time for the injectable ivomec, since I have never used that kind before.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That approach made a lot of sense to me, too! Hope all goes well! Having too much milk is a great problem to have. :) her milk is fine to drink, though you may still taste the colostrum. If you don't like the flavor, you can keep freezing it for soap or for future goat kids. Not sure about the milk withdrawal time for the injectable ivomec, since I have never used that kind before.
I just restrained her and milked her out almost all the way. She instantly started munching hay and let Minnie nurse for a few minutes. I think the withdrawal is 9 days so I’ll drink this bucket and give her her shot. And then yes I’ll freeze it for soap. It would pain me to dump it.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I just restrained her and milked her out almost all the way. She instantly started munching hay and let Minnie nurse for a few minutes. I think the withdrawal is 9 days so I’ll drink this bucket and give her her shot. And then yes I’ll freeze it for soap. It would pain me to dump it.
View attachment 206904
Nothing better than fresh milk! Is that your daughter? She looks like she's enjoying herself!

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Oral is preferred by many as long as the goats not anemic. If anemic then should inject 1cc per 40 pounds sub q...boosters can be done oral.

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 19 of 19 Posts